Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Custom string instrument based on Oud
drkam6
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 08:29 PM
Custom string instrument based on Oud

Hello - I"ve been playing Oud and Oud-related instruments since around 2000. My background is guitar. I got my first Oud, a nice Egyptian student-level, very lightweight. However it was not very practical to play given my guitar techniques - its action was too high on the upper ranges and it was a challenge to play amplified.

I moved into the Godin Glissentar next. A very good idea of an instrument, and both its playability and guitar tuning allowed me to use it more widely. It's very practical and easy to carry; pluggable allowing to use it with amplification and effects. Its price is also very affordable.

I'm looking into improving the scope of the instrument but going a bit back to the traditional spirit of the Oud. The Glissentar's sound is not the greatest in my opinion - its slim body and neck are maple, a very bright wood which makes the instrument too thin sounding. I contacted Godin enquiring about a custom Glissentar made of mahogany, but they do not have a custom shop.

Still with the idea of an improved Oud/Glissentar hybrid, I found an interesting instrument made by Fred Carlson, which he calls Harpouditar. It has the addition of 15 sympathetic harp-like strings on the lower bout.

I wonder if a luthier would be interested in making an instrument similar to the Harpouditar, but more towards the traditional shape and sound of the Oud. Maybe with a shallower rib back, and the three decorated soundholes on the top.

Just tossing some ideas...
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 06:38 AM

Hello DrKam,

I had an instrument built by Abdo Dagher as an experiment which I designed. The sympathetic strings didnt work at first, but we then changed the design and ran the strings through the bridge, it was then amazing. You can see a picture of the old oud here http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=1732

at the bottom. Its a traditional oud sound with nice sympathic string sound, I have also been able to develop a type of pluck to hit the normal strings and the sypathetic strings at the same time as accompaniment. Its fun to play, but I love the the good old Oud.

Cheers,

JT
drkam6
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 08:13 PM

Hi JT,

Fantastic, I checked out your Oud with the sympathetic drone strings and the idea was great, it is exactly what I was thinking about. I also checked out the sound file of the Oud you had for sale, amazing playing!

Reading the posting and your reply, it seems that it worked running the drone strings through the bridge; on the photo the drone strings are all on the left side. What type of tuners were used? they look like regular classical guitar tuners.
Do you have any photo with the modified drone strings running through the bridge?

I agree with you, the traditional Oud is a marvelous instrument. The idea I had was just to add extra special to its sound, which you did. Maybe the drone strings could be muted for certain pieces, and then left open for others... adding sustain and ring to the instrument.

And what about the special pluck? On my Egyptian Oud I was using a plastic risha, but on the Godin Glissentar I was using a regular guitar pick.

Beautiful Oud!

Best Regards,

drkam6
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-3-2007 at 03:20 AM

I can take photos of the modified version, but Im away in Paris and will be home(Australia) in a month or so.

The strings can be muted by sticky tape. The oud has a nice sound on its own, so its two in one:) The pegs are mandolin pegs, but Im hoping to add another seven strings and modify it more, but finding time is not so good.

Heres a couple of links to my playing if you're interested.

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=5398

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6087

Cheers,

JT
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 6-3-2007 at 10:47 AM

JT, do you know if anyone is distributing Epiphany in the USA? I could only find import copies
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-3-2007 at 11:50 AM

Hello Jason,

Unfortunately I do not have a US Distributer for Epiphany.

You can buy copies from here, they are the cheapest and best to deal with:

http://www.birdland.com.au:8080/Birdland/catalogue/category634/p463...

Thanks again,

JT
drkam6
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 10:26 PM

Hi Joe,

Thanks a lot for the links to your playing. I listened to the Cafe Riche split 2 solo. You are a fantastic player! Great sound, great piece!!

Yes indeed, I would love to see photos of your drone Oud in the modified version. I'll await for your photos.

Hope you're having a great time in Paris!

Best regards from Canada

drkam6
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-6-2007 at 02:23 AM

Hello DrKam,

The full version of Cafe Riche can be found here http://www.worldmusiccafe.info/files/

Hope you are well.

JT
drkam6
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-8-2007 at 08:56 PM

Hi Joe

I listened to the full version of Cafe Riche
What a great piece, total fusion, your playing is just fantastic!!!
Great musicianship, excellent band!!!

I also play in a band, a small trio called The CGS Project.
We try to play some prog jazz-fusion.
There is a video of us on YouTube, I play guitar synthesizer (Roland GR-300)

I'm aiming to integrate a proper Oud-based instrument into the band. I'm thinking that an Electric Oud would be more ideal. But I also have the curiosity of the drone strings; maybe there is a way to adapt them properly to an Electric Oud.

On gigs with the band, we play a small version of John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme". We base it from the version by John McLaughlin and Carlos Santana (from "Love Devotion Surrender"). On this version, McLaughlin plays a doubleneck 12/6 electric guitar, creating a sympathetic drone strings effect with the 12-string neck.

Our version is simpler and I try to compensate the drone with digital delays. At our last gig, I played the piece on the Godin Glissentar. It sounded very good; this gave me the crazy idea of adding drone strings to an Oud-based instrument.. I believe that the sonic potential would be enormous..

Now I'm on the search of a kind luthier who would like to try to build such an instrument..

Best regards!

Carlos Najar (drkam6)
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 01:47 PM

Thanks Carlos, You're too kind my friend.

Checked your stuff on Youtube, Moondawn, sounds great man, keep up the good work. I could never figure out pedals:)

Ive got a couple of Vids on my website you can check out here http://www.josephtawadros.com on the listen page with different collborations which might interest you. Also there is a track on http://www.myspace.com/josephtawadros called Sahara in which I play Electric oud through a pedal, this might give you an idea of sound;

Thanks again for your kind comments and all the best with the music man!

JT
drkam6
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-10-2007 at 01:48 PM

Hi Joe

I checked out Sahara - AMAZING. What a great playing, excellent band!! The time signature is odd, sounds a bit like a 10/8 to me, excellent - while maintaining a great groove. Your performance is anything less than incendiary!

I also checked out your websites, great work indeed! I'm reviewing the details on them. The performances with the chamber orchestra are beautiful. Your brother James is also a fantastic percussionist. I am very happy to read of your success and achievements, and hope they will continue!

Sahara also allowed me to listen to the Electric Oud. It sounds good, although I have to say it's treble sounding - does not have much of a bottom end. Your playing makes the best out of it, and gives it a tremendous difference. Compared to the Godin Glissentar, your E-Oud's expression is closer to the original Oud. Who is the maker of your E-Oud?

Thank you for your kind comments on Moondawn. I wrote the piece based on the moon eclipse of 2003, and it was re-arranged with the band. We don't have much exposure; here in Calgary there isn't much of a creative art community. We just perform once a month at a local bookstore, where we have the chance to experiment and jam a bit onstage. We don't have a website/CD out yet, but we're working on it. I should look into the myspace.com options...

Hopefully things in Calgary will improve. Europe, in contrast, is bursting with art and talented musicianship. I lived in Hamburg, Germany, about 20 years ago and it was amazing to see the amount of great musicians in every category performing at every location possible.

In Hamburg I remember having attended at a theatre performance with an Egyptian ensemble. This was the first time I heard and saw an Oud in action.

I found this interesting instrument's photo from Veysel Music: a Nevud

http://www.veyselmuzik.com/eng/nevud.php

Best regards and take care,

Carlos (drkam6)
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-10-2007 at 02:08 PM

Thanks Carlos, It was fun doing that project, Really great musicians and fun to work with.

The band has expanded actually - Its now a five piece - Oud, Arabic percusion, Drum Kit, Keys and Electric Bass.
We are called Joe Tawadros' 'The Oud, The Bad and The Ugly' you might of seen a post about it here on Mikeouds...Its a good festival vibe band and its fun to play in.
The Groove of Sahara is in 5/4 with the melody in 6/4 and another melodic section in 5/4, but it does have broken bars here an there.

I guess the e-oud is like a electric guitar or bass, it's about finding your own pedal ingredients, the ones that I chose particularly suited me and was to my liking. I think you would probably be more experienced in this field and would be able to get a sound you liked.

My brother James is a blessing, hes an amazing percussionist, you can here his work here : http://www.myspace.com/jamestawadros

The hybrid instruments look really amazing, I wonder how they sound?

Good luck with everything and thank you for your wonderful compliments.

All the best,

JT
Jason
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-10-2007 at 05:46 PM

Hey JT

Just curious, what kind of mic setup did you use on the Epiphany recordings? I'm having a terrible time trying to get my oud to blend with electric instruments. Some of the trouble is due to mixing but it seems like my mic just doesn't capture the oud 'up front' like an electric instrument.
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-11-2007 at 01:22 AM

Hello Jason,

I have a hell of a sound guy! hes amazing and really understands what to use.

I think with normal Mic-ing, the problem is all the effects that are put on , Id start from scratch, no reverb etc and then work on the sound little by little.
I find condenser mics work well, but Im probably not the best to talk to about this. I have performed when the oud seemed distant and not central, or too 'boomy'. I think mic position is very important, I would recommend placing the mic between the Pickguard and the sound hole, not directly in front of the sound hole. I have found this works best.

As for Epiphany, we were all mic-ed aswell as the bass player(mic-ing the amp), as I said my sound guy Simon Lear got an amazing live recording and I really couldnt believe the sound. He also mic-ed me when I was performing with the Australian Chamber Orchetsra and got a great balance.

Hopefully I was of help.

Cheers,

JT
Jason
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-11-2007 at 12:50 PM

Thanks for the help. I agree about your soundman! I've worked sound for a long time and acoustic instruments and percussion are always the toughest things to get to sound right in a mix.
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-11-2007 at 03:18 PM

Simon is amazing and a beautiful person to work with.
For instance, on Epiphany you cant really tell its a live performance till the clapping. The sound is clean between all instruments and balance is great I think.

His website is http://www.bsound.co.nz/
Im sure he can answer all your questions better than I can.

He's the King of balance...

Good luck!

JT
rebetostar
Oud Maniac

Mood: Ajam Ushayran

[*] posted on 6-13-2007 at 09:33 AM
Fellow Calgarian oudman

Hello Everybody!
Hello Drkam,
Y'know, I often get a bit down on life here in Calgary..so it's ironic that when I hear someone else disparaging the arts scene here, I feel compelled to leap to it's defence :rolleyes:
Anyways, it's great to hear of a fellow oudist here in cowtown, and you may be interested to know that we play traditional and original Greek/Med. music every Wed. 7-10 at Pegasus restaurant, and you would be more than welcome to bring your oud and join us for a taqsim and a tune or two.
I started playing a Sukar electric oud last March (before that I had an Abd el'Haleim Egyptian oud which is still in the band) my Sukar is currently getting new pegs fitted and new strings (Aquila turkish light on Jameel's advice) so we'll have to see how it sounds when it's done in a week or so :-)
We are also performing at the North Country Fair June 22-24, (up by lesser Slave lake in N. Alberta), and the Calgary Folk fest in July. (The highlight of Calgary's music scene, IMO)
JT.. WoW. Totally, totally awesome tracks.
I'm not quite confident enough to post a track on here.. I'm really a novice, self-taught oudist.. but I will, when I'm ready. :airguitar:
drkam6
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 10:06 PM

Hi Rebetostar!

Glad to hear from you and to learn that you guys are playing great stuff at Pegasus here in Calgary! I don't have my Egyptian Oud anymore, as I moved into playing the Godin Glissentar - an instrument which resembles a guitar, but it's fretless and has the same string arrangement of the Oud. As I'm primarily a guitarist, this instrument allows me to play Oud lines as a guitar - plus it can be plugged directly into an amplifier and used with effects.

I use the Oud and Oud-related instruments in an experimental manner... which it's probably not very traditional... however I'm always fascinated by Oud music and have an utmost respect for Middle Eastern arts and sounds. I used the Egyptian Oud together with guitar synthesizer, on a piece I wrote for a performance at the Calgary Science Centre, back in 2001.

I'm very happy to hear that you're at the Folk Fest. It's one of the few decent music events here in Calgary. I play with a small jazz-fusion trio at the McNally Robinson bookstore - actually we have our gig there tomorrow =) We try a bit to make up for the lack of jazz fusion bands here in Calgary - the TD Jazz Festival was cancelled in 2006, and if not for C-Jazz we would not have any jazz fest like larger cities. Not too many class acts come to Calgary - the Montreal International Jazz Festival for example features world-class jazz players, to the extent that even the Pat Metheny Group - a cornerstone of multi-ethnic and creative jazz - played an amazing free-for-all open air concert during the Montreal festival - I watched it on CBC... Events like this will never happen in Calgary... here people places money and profit before art.

Thank you so much for your kind invitation! I will tell the guys in the band tomorrow about your gig at Pegasus, we'll come to check you guys out! =) I want to see your Sukar E-Oud!

Best regards,

drkam6
rebetostar
Oud Maniac

Mood: Ajam Ushayran

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 06:49 AM

Hi Drkam,
It will be great to meet a kindred spirit!
Unfortunately I just found out that my Sukar (it's in the hospital) came with unusual-sized pegs. Not to mention the only thing holding the pegbox to the neck was string tension.. ie: the glue had dissolved! Anyways my luthier is going to have to put bushings in the peg holes to fit the new pegs, and he's a busy guy giving me the "side project" price..so he said it could be a couple of MONTHS before it's done. So, I guess I won't be playing oud for a while. I have been taking my CUMBUS to Pegasus though, and I'll just have to practice on that in the meantime.
will_oud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 12:01 PM

Awsome tracks and instruments! BTW, how much does one of those Goden oud guitars cost? Thanks

William F. Sparks
drkam6
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 07:26 PM

Hi Will,

The Godin Glissentar is rather affordable, less than $1000. It's an interesting instrument.

I have seen the Nevud and I'm interested on it, I'm trying to get in touch with Dr. Cengiz Sarikus at Veysel Music House, so far no response. I'll keep trying.

If I get the Nevud, I'll put my Glissentar for sale.

Regards

drkam6

Go To Top