Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sufi Zikr (very rare)
oistrach13
Oud Addict

Mood: es geht

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 12:40 PM
Sufi Zikr (very rare)

I know most of the people on this forum have heard some sufi music, mostly Kani Karaca and singers from the turkish tradition, but as most of you know, this tradition has also come to Arab countries, but recordings of live arabic sufi ceremonies are almost non existant as far as I know.

This is a very rare recording (and please excuse the sound quality), of a part of a sufi zikr (16 minutes), from 1979 in Tripoli (north of Lebanon). The guy singing is Sheikh Salahiddine Kabbara (who is a quran recitor by profession), and his performance here is for you to judge (I have already made up my mind about this man's musical imagination and abilities).

I hope you enjoy this file, and I encourage everybody to at least try to listen (the sound quality again is terrible, I know).

I have to really thank Dr.Hilal Kabbara, sheikh Salah's son for this amazing file (and many others that he's been kind enough to share).

I hope the link works for you (you have to wait a bit for the download link to appear).
http://www.4shared.com/file/4074805/9c9cf544/______-___-___1979.html
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-2-2007 at 12:45 PM

Check out this guy singing here.... its Sufi chants too.

http://video.orientaltunes.net/realvideo/Sufi_Chants2-Dual_ISDN.ram

what an amazing voice.
oistrach13
Oud Addict

Mood: es geht

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 09:39 AM

Thanks for the (so far) only reply.

I have seen that video before, but while I do respect sheikh habboush's voice and performance in the video (the only thing I have seen of him), the link I posted is something completely different (16 minutes of solo improvisation). The other nice thing is that it is an informal recording (meaning this was never intended to please a public, this is the real deal).

I may be the only one here to think so, but I believe the guy in this link is on a different level. Even if nobody agrees, a comment would be helpful.
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 10:29 AM

Thanks oistrach13, many thanks,
Cheikh Salaheddine Kabbara is one of the most beautiful voices that ever existed, I had the chance to hear his voice live many times when I was a kid in Tripoli and it is unforgettable, the recording is not revealing the real depth of this voice that comes like an envelope, you hear it with all your body. It was like 25-30 years ago and I still have a vivid memory of this sensation.
Tripoli has an ancient soufi tradition and many "Tarikas": Mawlawi, Ze'bi. Baroudi, Cha'ar and many others, I grew up in the old city and every thursday a Zikr was held in a garden near our house, I still have this music and the beat crescendo in my head, I think that soufi musicians and singers went in music to a spiritual place that very few reached. Just hear the audience near the end and try to imagine where these guys were taken, it is beyond Tarab, it is pure extasy
it is a shame that no recording exists and it is a miracle hearing Cheikh Salaheddine again.

Thanks oistrach13 you've made my weekend

Go To Top