Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Buzzing............................!! AAAGGHHH!!!
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-12-2007 at 10:00 AM

Kalifa is cool. I will order some. I'm going to try every string I can find mainly so that I know what they do and how they sound. I was thinking Savarez. Their guitar strings are great. Thomastic guitar strings are very good but also very expensive, According to Murphy's Law the strings that don't buzz and that sound the best will be the most expensive.....$100 per string or something like that. Can't wait. So much fun.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-12-2007 at 10:04 AM

I think he means Khalaf oud luthiery.
which is are good friend Jameel's website.

http://www.khalafoud.com
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 6-12-2007 at 12:33 PM

Dude...I've used Savarez red and yellow card nylon strings as 2nd (A) strings on my Merjanian ouds before....the red card were .027 and the yellow card were .028. These were rectified nylon, and were very consistent as far as the pairs tuning together, but were a bit subdued sounding -- might be okay for the right oud though. I wasn't able to find guages suitable for the top D, or other wound strings at the time. They did last a good long time though, and were very well made...have fun.

Good luck..PaulO
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-12-2007 at 12:48 PM

After 2 dayzz of struzzle, I got the stringzz loopz down the bridge trick, it izz half a success, the buzzing izz lezz but still buzzering me.
I guezz I will let the oud neck (and mine) relax a bit or I will end up throwing myself off the bridge finishing on the face.
A friend gave me a set of Dogal strings, I've never tried them because they looked very thick, now that I am desperate I will try them on the buzzer, but before
I think that I deserve a low tension day on the beach where strings look more friendly........

alami
cliffgallupsghost
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-12-2007 at 04:28 PM

Yeah, what Samir said. That's where I get mine.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-12-2007 at 08:29 PM

Alami, I love your freestyle poetry.

dont let it buzzer you too much.
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-13-2007 at 01:59 AM

Yes I did mean Khalaf. Hey, I'm old and don't see too good no more.

Alami, watch out about bigger strings. You don't want to pull the bridge off. It is a struggle, I agree. Maybe it is time to try another luthier and get a second opinion. It's difficult to figure out a problem without seeing it in person. Good luck with this. D.L.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 8-14-2009 at 07:19 PM

All this talk of wearing fingerboards ? ... so a proposed solution and a question. What I've done on fretless basses, and plan to use on my ouds, is to coat the fingerboard with a couple applications of Tung Oil, which hardens to a sort of resin, a polymer, and to never let the wear reach the wood. All that requires is that whenever you change the strings, you rub in/on another thin layer of Tung Oil w/ Japan Dryer with a rag and let it set overnight. My Sukar seems to have something very much like it on the fingerboard already. Has anyone used this or does anyone see a problem with this on oud, like for instance that the sound is "wrong" unless it's on naked wood? Yes, I know any oil on the soundboard is deadly.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top