Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: want to learn the oud
chris
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-7-2004 at 06:14 PM
want to learn the oud

I am interested in learning how to play the arabic oud. I live in the U.S., and would like to find a decent beginner instrument...from what I've read, I can see that I need to be careful. Can anyone offer some advice, and give me an idea of where to look, and how much I need to plan on spending? Thanks.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-7-2004 at 09:29 PM

Hi Chris, where are you located?

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
chris
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 05:40 AM

Hi Mav, thanks for the reply. I live in a small town called Great Bend, KS. I lived for some time in Vancouver, B.C. with an Egyptian family. Since then, I've been a big fan of middle-eastern music. I play several instruments--guitar, hammer dulcimer, lap dulcimer, piano. The oud is just fascinating to me, and I would love to begin learning how to play. I would appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 05:53 AM

Hi Chris.

I have a nice Egyptian oud you might be interested in. Just email me and I'll get you some more info, pics, sound, etc.

Take care,

mav

ps-i'm in PA right now.

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
wfspark
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud entranced!

[*] posted on 3-8-2004 at 08:59 AM
Want to learn the oud? I can help.

Quote:
Originally posted by chris
I am interested in learning how to play the arabic oud. I live in the U.S., and would like to find a decent beginner instrument...from what I've read, I can see that I need to be careful. Can anyone offer some advice, and give me an idea of where to look, and how much I need to plan on spending? Thanks.
Hello Chris. This is William Sparks from San Antonio Texas. I'm currently in the process of buying my first oud from Haluk Eraydin. He makes four different moddles of Turkish ouds. The learner moddle costs 119 dollars, but it's not like any ordinary mass produced student oud. It's hand made. If you'd like to see more, visit Mr. Eraydin's web sight at http://www.eraydinsazevi.com. He also makes and sells sazes of all sizes. If you need to get in touch with me, my e-mail is wfspark@yahoo.com.

William F. Sparks

Go To Top