Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: $ for a new oud?
k.montreal
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-8-2007 at 10:51 PM
$ for a new oud?

What's the minimum amount of money I should be spending on an oud if I am new? I don't want it to be too cheap, because otherwise I'll regret it but at the same time it can't be too good because I don't have much money I am only 17 years old.

Please just give me some numbers that you personally would think are appropriate so I can start from somewhere since I am absolutely new.
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 04:09 AM

In my opinion, you could find a nice oud to accompany you during your first steps in the magnificent world that is Maqamat, for $300 - $500.

Just a while back I got myself a very nice Turkish oud (Ilyas Çakan), very playable and sounds great, for 270 euro (= 300 USD). I think that's the price range you should be looking at, too.

You'll have to decide what type of oud you want (Turkish, Arabic, Iraqi...) I'm not sure if the price/quality ratio I mentioned for the Turkish oud goes for the Arabic/Iraqi ones as well - maybe someone with more experience can comment on this?

Good luck!

- Andi
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 08:49 AM

You can usually get more for your money with Turkish ouds at that amount of money. If you want an Arabic oud you may look at the ones on nileshop.net Sukkar makes several lower priced ouds too. I have also seen used Shehata's for around $500-600 which would be a great choice
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 01:40 PM

If you want to buy new, then check out Haluk Eraydin ( do a search on him in the forums) who makes very nice Turkish ouds and is a very friendly chap to deal with. I think his price now starts about $379. Then there is the cost of shipping and if you want any case, etc. with it. However if you are looking at any used ouds, get some advice from posting the details on this website, there are some very friendly and oud-wise members who can offer excellent feedback. Good Luck! Matthew
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 11:13 PM

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for your nice words.I am still making ouds with same prices.Tutorial vcd-1 in English "How to play oud?",soft case and picks included the price.
I send ouds and sazs in plywood crates,covered by bubled nylons and protected with foam rubber for to arrive safely.The oud must not move inside the crate. Otherwise pegbox-fingerboard connection may broke easily.
With best wishes.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
kasioti
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-10-2007 at 11:39 AM

Look around for used ouds (craigslist, ebay), but be careful.

Any instrument is good to begin with though. Check around online. I've picked up some real good deals, instruments with soft and a hard shell case included. The oud is beginner I'd say, but I love the sound. I feel like I got great deal for the amount of money I've spent. Good luck.
hakeem.ram
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouding my time away

[*] posted on 6-11-2007 at 03:18 AM

k.montreal i sent u a U2U
k.montreal
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-11-2007 at 01:42 PM

Thank you for the tips and hakeem i received your message

I'm going to keep looking and learning for about 1 week.

Go To Top