Author: Subject: Joseph and James Tawadros Upcoming Concerts
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 05:11 AM
Joseph and James Tawadros Upcoming Concerts

Joseph Tawadros Trio at Utzon Room, Sydney Opera House

SUNDAY, 24 JUNE, 5PM

He astonished audiences when he toured with the Australian Chamber Orchestra. He won the 2006 Freedman Fellowship for classical music. He appears at festivals throughout the world, dazzling audiences with his brilliant technique, his passionate musicianship, and his joyous style of performance. Now Joseph Tawadros joins his brother James and bass player Ben Rodgers in this special concert, transporting us to another world with the magical sounds of the oud.

Joseph Tawadros - Oud
James Tawadros - Req'
Ben Rodgers - Bass

More Info Visit:
http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/sections/whats_on/boxoffice/event_d...

--------------------------------------------------

Joseph and James Tawadros at The Darwin Entertainment Centre, Northern Territory

FRIDAY, 20TH JULY, 8PM

The ‘oud’ is an Arab instrument akin to the lute and Joe Tawadros is its master. Born into a musical family in Egypt, Joseph Tawadros came to Australia in 1986. Studying with Mohamed Youssef he was introduced to the improvisatory tradition of the taqsim and encouraged to develop his remarkable talent. Despite being steeped in the traditions of classical Arab music, he is nevertheless able to transcend genres and has played with artists as diverse as Neil Finn, the Australian Chamber Orchestra, and didge player Mark Atkins. Joined by his brother James on percussion, this performance will appeal to fans of ‘world’ music and to classical music lovers, and is a rare insight into the beauty of Arab music.

More Info:
http://www.darwinentertainment.com.au/boxoffice/coming.asp

---------------------------------------------------

BAND OF BROTHERS: Slava and Leonard Grigoryan + Joseph and James Tawadros at The Brisbane Powerhouse, Queensland

FRIDAY, 27TH JULY, 7.30PM

SATURDAY, 28TH JULY, 7.30PM

Queensland Music Festival, Brisbane City Council and Brisbane Powerhouse present
Queensland Music Festival

Four brothers from two families and three continents band together for two exhilarating performances that promise to cross musical boundaries and create a unique Festival collaboration.

Guitar virtuosos Slava and Leonard Grigoryan pair up with the extraordinarily talented newcomers Joseph and James Tawadros for a musical exploration of diverse global influences.

More Info:
http://www.brisbanepowerhouse.org/events/view/the-grigoryan-tawadro...

WWW.JOSEPHTAWADROS.COM
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/JOSEPHTAWADROS
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/JAMESTAWADROS
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/SLAVAGRIGORYAN
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/LEONARDGRIGORYAN

Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 11:26 AM

I recently met up with Joseph in London after we met at the Anouar Braheem gig. He's a really great guy and gave me my first oud lesson (in fact my first music lesson ever!!) whilst we sat by the river Thames.

It was risha technique that was the main lesson, and so subtle. Exercises and fingering I can figure out for myself but the wrist action is my main difficulty although I can play quite well now (for a beginner).

This 'band of brothers' should be something else though, probably not unlike the John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Paco De Lucia trio years ago if it is marketed well.

Best of luck to you all

Take care

Leon
Monty88
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 04:26 PM

I had the pleasure of performing alongside Joseph at a concert in Adelaide, South Australia, in April last year. I first saw Joseph perform at the Womad festival here in 2004, and was simply astonished by his playing. I aproached him before one of his concerts and found him to be a humble and pleasant man to talk to. He was invited to Adelaide to give seminars and perform in 2006. The concert was dedicated to the Oud and its related traditions. Joseph performed a marvellous solo set where he used several differnt ouds, including his hybrid sympathetic strings oud and a borrowed Turkish oud by Faruk Turunz. The concert consisted of 3 different parts. Joseph concluded the concert by inviting 3 oud players, including myself on stage to perform all together. It was a pleasure playing alongside Joseph and I hope to work with him again in the future!
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-10-2007 at 10:14 AM

Hello Paddy and Leon,

You're too kind my friends.

Leon and Paddy are great guys and its always a pleasure meeting people of their kindness and nature.

Paddy, it was a pleasure performing with you too! It was fun and I really enjoyed being in that Oud, friendly, musical environment very much. There are two videos on my website from this night - http://www.josephtawadros.com/listen.htm
Birds of Paradise and Taqasim Nahawand, playing on the fantastic Turunz oud.
WOMAD seemed a lifetime ago, but one of my performance highlights definitely. I remember meeting you and remember how keen you were and knew you'd be fantastic. Well...I wasnt wrong when I saw you play two years later!

Thanks again for the kind words guys and I hope to see you again soon...Keep Oudin!

JT

Go To Top