Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  10
Author: Subject: Abraham Oud for Mike
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-10-2007 at 10:33 PM
Abraham Oud for Mike

Okay, I finally decided to ask Jameelo to make me an oud! Poker has been pretty good to me. ;) I can't even begin to say how excited I am. He has already started on the project. So far he's got the mould done, ribs bent, some rosettes carved, neck block and tail block ready to go on the mould. Oh, and he's created some of the inlay work too. Here are some images of his progress so far. By the way, this oud is based on an Abdo Nahat that I saw in France at my friend Adel Salameh's place when I visited him a few months back. We probably aren't going to make the same fingerboard design though.

Here's a shot of the oud this project is based on.

Here are a couple of shots of the mould.

I decided to go with square inlays instead of parallelograms. These are a lot trickier to do than the parallelograms, because there are much more pieces. I think the parallelogram has 5 pieces, while the square has 20 or 21 pieces. Of'course he nailed it though! We went with a design on Marc Loopuyt's Nahat oud, not what is on Adel's Abdo.

Here's a shot of Marc Loopuyt's Nahat oud inlay.

Here's what Jameelo came up with. Here's his first try.

More refined. Like I said, Jameelo nailed it!

This weekend he worked on the roses. They will be carved from bone. We decided to go with the kissing doves for the small roses. This is what is on Hamza el Din's Nahat oud. You will notice that Jameelo's Oud #2 has what is on Adel's Nahat for the small roses. Just mixing it up a little, and i must say, Jameelo killed it. These things came out perfect!

Here are those shots. Aren't they sweet?

Cyberquills
Oud Junkie

Mood: resonant

[*] posted on 6-10-2007 at 10:54 PM

Very impressive work Jameel!

CQ
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-11-2007 at 06:34 AM

wow! Jameel... speachless already... and I cant wait to be blown away by the rest of the oud.
this is really exiting.
rromadOud
Oud Addict

Mood: one

[*] posted on 6-11-2007 at 06:49 AM

GORGEOUS!!!!

very nice work Jameel.............can't wait to see more.

Thanks for sharing Mike and congrats !
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 6-11-2007 at 07:41 AM

wooohoooooo
that oud will look amazing , congrads on it mike,

jameel when I become as good as mike in poker(even though i can take him all in anyday):D i would love to buy one of these.
cant wait for more
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 6-12-2007 at 02:19 AM

My God guys.....I reckon this is the best thing to hit the forum in months! It's so exciting following Jameel's work in progress.....Congrats Mike, am sure you must feel like an expectant father ;)
Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 04:36 PM

Here's a shot of Jameelo bending the purfling for the bowl. The bowl will be made of walnut, and it will have maple - walnut - maple purling between the ribs. He consulted with another luthier on the best way to make his own purfling.

In a nutshell: he glued three large sheets of veneer together of maple - walnut - maple using hide glue. He pressed it flat, then sawed this sheet into 3mm wide strips. He used Hank Levin's technique of binding all the strips together with thread and bending them as if they were one rib. Here's where his bending mechanism came in handy. He slapped the whole thing in the bender and within minutes he had them all bent...pretty amazing!!!

Next up...bowl making.

WOO HOO!!

Here's the bent purfling tied with string on Jameelo's bending mechanism.

Cyberquills
Oud Junkie

Mood: resonant

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 07:48 PM

Great blue blistering barnacles!

That is fan-flipping-tastic. Go Jameel.

Lucky lucky Mike!

CQ
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 05:52 AM

looking good...
cant wait to see more!
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 06:32 AM

Good luck to you Mike,

Another gem in you collection, I am sure it will turn out to be a fab one.
Jameel you rock man, I'll be trying my luck at Lotto and poker soon man to get me a Khalaf oud in shaAllah
best regards to all,
Awad
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 03:12 PM

Wow. Your work is always an inspirtation for me, Jameel.
Congrats, Mike.

Jameel, I tried bending purfling like that, but had a lot of problems with the purfling twisting and bending over 90 degrees. Any tips?

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 04:47 PM

Thanks fellas.

Jonathan, I just tied them together flat, clamped them in the bender and bent away. Went about as fast as a typical walnut rib. No special technique. Just let the heat do its job. I think the trick here is the use of the bender. I could see how trying to bend this bundle, even tied up, over an iron that twisting would be a problem. Did you try it in your bender?

Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 06:33 PM
More Progress

Jameel got some work in on the main shams. I asked him to do the same one he used on his Oud#2. I really like that style a lot. He also started on the bowl too.

Main Shams

Bowl

MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 11:55 PM

what a wonderful oud you will have Mike! great to see the work done in stages and appreciate the skill and craftsmanship that goes into every detail of making the instrument we all love. I wish I had Jameels's talent! I've wanted to ask this before: seeing the open bowl with the support bracing it does looks very sturdy, and I once heard that you ought to be able to actually sit on a well made oud (unless you weigh 1/2 ton), that the support bracing in the bowl is much stronger than it looks? Now this is something I am not about to try out on my oud, but is there any truth to this?
abusin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 07:24 AM

Hi Mike,

Yes man that Khalaf shams rocks, Its just awesome I just can't wait to see this beauty strung and taken for a drive.

next one will be mine if all goes ok with the bankman;)

Good luck to you, and best regards to Jameelo

Awad
Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 08:48 AM

try taking up poker Awad. if your friends are as crazy as mine, then you'll have you an Abraham in no time. :D

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 08:18 PM

This is just great guys. I can't wait for more posts on Jameel's progress - it's hard to describe the excitement of seeing an instrument built step by step - I guess it's only topped by the feeling the maker actually has. :)

Thanks guys,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
abusin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
try taking up poker Awad. if your friends are as crazy as mine, then you'll have you an Abraham in no time. :D

I wish Mike, but I don't think I'll be as lucky as you buddy:D
I'll always be a fan of Jameel's fantastic craftsmanship and attention to details, may God bless his talented hands and I will be applauding him whenever he comes out with a stunner, who knows one day he might send me one as a gift:bounce:

keep it coming man, I can't wait for that sound clip, and good luck Mike:airguitar:

Awad
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MatthewW
I've wanted to ask this before: seeing the open bowl with the support bracing it does looks very sturdy, and I once heard that you ought to be able to actually sit on a well made oud (unless you weigh 1/2 ton), that the support bracing in the bowl is much stronger than it looks? Now this is something I am not about to try out on my oud, but is there any truth to this?

Do you mean the mould Matthew? That doesn't stay in the oud. It's just a support structure for building the bowl.

A friend and professional oudist once told me that a famous maker said his ouds were so strong, you could stand on them. He did it, and it didn't break. I still don't beleive that story. And I can't understand what it means either. :shrug:

Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 09:36 PM
We got an update...

Jameelo was telling me how much more difficult it is to fit the ribs with purflings than without them. By looking at these pictures, I would say he nailed it! When we were discussing what to go with for the bowl, I was kind of leaning towards going with two different woods. I'm happy we decided to go with all walnut and the purflings instead. The wood is absolutely incredible, and I really think the purfling accentuates the dark walnut beautifully.

Ain't she pretty?

MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jameel
Quote:
Originally posted by MatthewW
I've wanted to ask this before: seeing the open bowl with the support bracing it does looks very sturdy, and I once heard that you ought to be able to actually sit on a well made oud (unless you weigh 1/2 ton), that the support bracing in the bowl is much stronger than it looks? Now this is something I am not about to try out on my oud, but is there any truth to this?

Do you mean the mould Matthew? That doesn't stay in the oud. It's just a support structure for building the bowl.

A friend and professional oudist once told me that a famous maker said his ouds were so strong, you could stand on them. He did it, and it didn't break. I still don't beleive that story. And I can't understand what it means either. :shrug:

thanks for the feedback Jameel. I guess I was referring to the mold! I'm still intrigued by the stories that you can stand or sit on a well made and braced oud and not have it collapse. The story seems to be closer to an 'oud myth', perhaps based on the concept of the strength of the classical arch,a shape which we find more or less in the bowl of the instrument. It seems that these stories so far are closer to rumours or tall tales!
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 04:56 AM

Jameel, what specie of walnut do you use?

Best wishes

Ronny
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 06:59 AM

American Black Walnut (Juglans Nigra).

The wood for this particlaur oud came from a 4"x4" square that was cut probably 20-30 years ago. It's been sitting in a farmer's garage for that long. I get these blanks from a local sawyer. They are large so I can cut ribs for one oud all from the same piece of wood and match them. Another reason this wood has excellent color is that it wasn't steamed. Lots of walnut is steamed in the kiln so the pigment from the dark runs into the sapwood. I don't care for this walnut, it looses its rich color and working properties. It takes on a more muddied color and lacks the some of the color variation of non-steamed walnut.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 11:35 AM

Wow.
Jameel, can you explain your approach to gluing in the purfling? I used purfling on that first bowl I made, and I thought it was a bit problematic--difficult to work with, the problem of residual glue, etc. Are you inserting the purfling at the same time as you glue in the adjacent rib?
Your right--the machine bender works great for the purfling. I used painter tape and put together a band of 15 purfling strips, and it worked great. With the tape I was able to get them to stay tightly together, so there was no twisting. And, surprisingly, no significant residue.

Should steamed wood be avoided, then? Does it lose its figure? I have some steamed pear that I was tempted to use, but I would rather waste the wood than go through the effort of making a bowl that is unsatisfactory.

The sham is amazing, Jameel.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 11:56 AM

wow... thats a nice looking bowl so far and the shams is amazing like Jonathan said.
looking forward to see this one come to life!.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  10

Go To Top