Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  10
Author: Subject: Abraham Oud for Mike
gilgamesh
Oud Junkie

Mood: in the mood

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 08:30 AM

Bravo Jameel! And thank you... I saw earlier that there is a clone , I take remaining one :cool::D
One question: Is it authorized to put the NaHat logo little bird on a NaHat style oud and not authentic Nahat? I guess so, if you do it, but how is this possible?
Good continuation, oud Wizard
:airguitar:
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Melbourne
Is it me - or is the central soundhole enormous? It looks fantastic and it really dominates the entire sound board.

Mike is going to be one lucky guy owning this oud!

It does look larger because of the tiles offset from the hole edge along with the large diameter ring connecting the large square-weave inlays. Here is a pic overlaid against my #2, which has the same size holes.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gilgamesh
Bravo Jameel! And thank you... I saw earlier that there is a clone , I take remaining one :cool::D
One question: Is it authorized to put the NaHat logo little bird on a NaHat style oud and not authentic Nahat? I guess so, if you do it, but how is this possible?
Good continuation, oud Wizard

Not like there are any Nahats around to gripe about someone copying their designs. As a matter of fact, if Abdo (or Hunna, Toufiq etc) was around to chew me out, I would welcome it, and any other tips he could give me! :D

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 12:35 PM

How do you know that that bird is just a Nahat pattern, or that it originated from them? I can show you pictures of other early ouds with the same bird, and the same scrolling vine. A year or so ago, I posted a thread on here somewhere asking where the design originated, and nobody seemed to know. My gut feeling is that this image of a dove surrounded by a vine may have its origin in religious art. I wouldn't consider it as belonging to the Nahats, although they used it masterfully, and perhaps we associate it most with them.
Beautiful, Jameel, as always.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 01:09 PM

What Jonathan said....

Thanks bud!

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 02:08 PM

Not sure if this is correct or not, but I was told that the Nahats mostly didn't cut their own rosettes, but had them cut by someone who specialized in it (and who also made them for other oud makers).

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 03:34 AM

"Read all about it, read all about it !!!!!!!, Alien employed to secure oud bracing". Great project Mike, Im wetting myself with excitement waiting for my Gawharet el fan oud, my first oud ( the one I use is a borrowed turkish "tourist model" sounds like a ukelele with bronchitis) should be here at the end of the month, so im wondering how you are coping at night, take care buddy shes on her way, a true beauty, may she sing as she looks. No more than you deserve for your service to oud-dom. Cheers mate.
Sidi
Oud Maniac

Mood: Very Sad...

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Prunka
Not sure if this is correct or not, but I was told that the Nahats mostly didn't cut their own rosettes, but had them cut by someone who specialized in it (and who also made them for other oud makers).

I think this is probably true Brian. Nazih Ghadban seems to own an instrument (below) by Toufik Kadamani who according to Mr.Ghadban "made the ornaments and Mozaik to Nahats"

As you can see, the quality of this maker's work here is identical to that of the very best Nahats.

You can catch a sound file and more pictures of this oud here:
http://www.oudnazihghadban.com/users/special.asp
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 12:16 PM

After a quick search on google i learn that:
The design of bird eating grape comes probably fm coptic stelae art, itself coming fm antic egyptian funerari art.
And having evolved with influences fm roman, greek, byzantine, persian, islamic etc arts.
For ex in coptic art: pairs of animals amid vegetation and eating can be interpreted allegorically as feeding on the fruits of the tree of life, partaking the celestial food. The tree of life itself was comparable in meaning to a cross.
On islamic art the Bird and flower designs combine the Islamic belief in paradise as a garden with the metaphor of the lover (the bird) and the beloved (the flower) of Persian poetry.

gilgamesh
Oud Junkie

Mood: in the mood

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 10:09 PM

Hello Zalzoula
As far as I can remember of old Eastern iconography lessons, you're right.
Birds symbolize the spiritual state, the superior states of being. Their flight makes them to serve as symbols to the relationship between heaven and hearth.Birds are -especially in Islam- the symbols of the angels; The birds language mentioned in the Koran is the angels langage, spiritual knowledge;
The Birds such as those of the Avicenna "the bird stories" or those of Fari-od-Din Attâr, feed themself from the tree of knowledge as souls engaged in the initiatory quest. I cannot imagine better animal on a oud !Personally I like a lot ducks! ciao
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 10:45 PM

I will agree with Johnathan on the theory that the bird and vine patterns have thier origin in religious arts. As many would know, the Nahats were Christians, as were and still are, many oud makers thorughout the Arab world. The bird and vine pattern is a theme that can be found on many many carved wooden Iconostasis screens in eastern churches, and this is a Byzantine tradition going back many centuries.

And Jameel, as to the size of the central shams, I think the other thing that tricks the eye is the amount of detail in the shams. I compared the shams of oud 2 and oud 4, and the 4 seems to have a lot more going on, especially towards the centre. Do you ever entertain the idea of doing an entire raqma in Arabic calligraphy? :D that would just be the icing on the cake ;)
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 01:40 AM

Great oud Jameel with well balanced decorations and geometry, I find the bird pattern fascinating since my own early 20th Turkish century oud has an exactly identical pattern as on the Kadamani oud! Is that pure coincidence?

Best wishes

Ronny
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 10:22 AM

I swear I didn't mean to sidetrack this thread. But, just to drive the point home, the design is clearly present here in an Armenian mosaic located in Jerusalem from the 5th century. Take a look at the lower right. I wonder if this mosaic is the source for the design.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 10:27 AM

My apologies, Jameel. But here is yet another non-Nahat example. An oud by Artin Atikyan, 1920s, Istanbul. I would desperately love to know who did this work--it seems almost identical to Sidi's.
I'm happy to delete the post, though, because I don't want to detour this incredible post of Jameel's.

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 11:47 AM

It's not my post anyway, Jonathan. Mike started it, so you'll have to deal with his wrath and fury! ;)

These designs are all gorgeous. But I know where they all originated. I have a grape vine on my back patio, and enjoy watching the birds flit around in the summertime. Different religions may place certain symbolic meaning to scenes from nature, but I think these designs are used because they echo real-life images that are pleasing, and especially in the case of birds, musical. The bird-and-vine motif is found all around the world. Here is another example.

Melbourne,

Yes, this rosette is more detailed, the calligraphy in the center smaller. I might do a maqamat rosette someday. Honestly though, I think aesthetically the floral/geometric ones are much prettier. Although the maqamat shams, especially the "Hamza El Din" Abdo example is the pinnacle of craftsmanship.

Thanks Ronny for chiming in!

A funny story about this subject. When I did my first neck inlay with the swans (my #2), I was pretty stoked about how it turned out. I was showing everybody the results and telling them about the original "delicate swan and vine" design from the Nahat workshops. I was proud to have a row of swans cruising down the fingerboard! My pride was cut short however when my 8-year old nephew saw the oud for the first time, looked at the fingerboard and said "what's with the ducks?" :D

JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 05:10 AM

You're a special man Jameel, Keep up the great work!

Congrats Mr Mike, looks like its gonna be a monster...Cant wait to hear it!

All the best,

JT:xtreme::bowdown:
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 08:30 AM

Thanks JT! That means a lot coming from a pro like you!

By the way, when are you coming to America? We're waiting....

JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 06:37 PM

Hey Jameel,

Be wanting to for a few years now, but the time hasnt been right. I have been approached to do a program with a orchestra in US so I hope this bears fruit. Will keep you in the loop. In the mean time, that looks like an amazing instrument and Im sure we all appreciate what you given our oud community.

All the best,

JT
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 1-15-2008 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sidi

I think this is probably true Brian. Nazih Ghadban seems to own an instrument (below) by Toufik Kadamani who according to Mr.Ghadban "made the ornaments and Mozaik to Nahats"

As for the birds and flowers of Kadamani 1943 oud, Mr. Ghadban says that even laser cannot do such perfect cuts.

Concerning the rosettes, nothing proves that the Nahat used to do them themselves or not, the fact is that Syria was and still is particularly rich in talented craftsmen, so nothing is surprising. What I find specially attractive in the Nahat ouds are the rosettes :)

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-15-2008 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JT
Hey Jameel,

Be wanting to for a few years now, but the time hasnt been right. I have been approached to do a program with a orchestra in US so I hope this bears fruit. Will keep you in the loop. In the mean time, that looks like an amazing instrument and Im sure we all appreciate what you given our oud community.

All the best,

JT

Hope something develops. Thanks Joe.

Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-15-2008 at 05:00 PM

I hate you all. Especially you JV! :mad:

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-15-2008 at 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
I hate you all.

So I can keep this one then? :D

TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 1-15-2008 at 08:48 PM

I'll take it off your hands, Jameel. No problem. No need to crowd your workspace, I'll just hold on to it for a while.

Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 05:46 PM

Not so fast party people. Okay, I love everybody again!

Label is in and face is on. Check it out!!!

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 05:49 PM

Ya Salam!!!
its getting there buddy.
fantastic job on the face Jameel.
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  10

Go To Top