Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10
Author: Subject: Abraham Oud for Mike
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 08:38 PM

I'ma just shutup and let Jameelo's work speak for itself!

Completed fingerboard.

Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 01:08 PM

and just like that...this baby is done!

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 02:32 PM

what a oud!! fit for a king i would say.
finally its done. I enjoyed watching the way this progressed Mike and Jameel.
put some strings on it Jameelo!

are you going to use the true oil for the finish?
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 07:08 PM

hey guys

wowwwwwwwwiiiiii thats a oud that came from a man with Golden hands..
not to many words that can describe a gem like this ..

we want hear it! we wanna hear it! we wanna hear it!!1

thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 08:00 PM

Mabrouk Mike. Great job, great piece fo Art. Enjoooooooy
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 12:19 AM

Hoooorraaaay

I'm jumping up and down and cheering - the kids are going wild :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

well done and what a story.

Enjoy it Mike

Leon
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 12:39 AM

String er up!

JT:buttrock:
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 06:41 AM

Thanks again fellas. I finally got some strings on it late Wednesday. So far so good. It sounds like an oud! :))

I sent Mike a quick recording, but maybe we'll post something a little better later on after the strings are settled and after I practice a little...

One more little detail. Just by chance I'm finishing up this oud right before another Simon Shaheen concert in my area. So hopefully I'll get a little video or audio of this oud in the hands of a master. Brian Prunka is also performing with him, so we'll get his valuable input as well. Maybe some others too. But needless to say, I'm hoping to have some nice pics/videos of this one in the coming weeks. Now, on to finsihing...

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 08:58 AM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was imagining how it would look finished, but I didn't even come close to guessing how beautiful it would be completed.

Amazing, amazing work and detail Jameel. Beautiful!!! I can't wait to hear this gorgeous instrument.

Take care,

mavrothis :applause::applause::applause:

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 09:27 AM

Thanks to everybody for their nice comments and well wishes. That meant a lot to me and to Jameelo throughout the whole process. Much appreciated guys! A huge thanks to Jameelo for his incredible attention to detail and impeccable craftsmanship. Also, for the countless back and forth emails, the photoshopping so I could see what the oud would look like before it was actually done, and for his patience throughout.

Here's a small sound file from Jameelo. Keep in mind that the oud is only one day old. It will only get better with time, but you can already notice the beautiful tone, excellent projection and sustain, and that punchy Arabic sound I love. Jameelo tells me the action is perfect and the oud is very easy to play. We have a winner guys!

I've already told him not to get too attached. I wouldn't be surprised if he sends me an email telling me there's been a terrible accident! :(

Thanks again,
Mike

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 09:57 AM

Aman aman! This sounds very good, very Arabic!

Even and strong across all the strings from what I can tell from the recording.

Bravo Jameel!!!!!!!! I keep listening to it over and over, very beautiful and heartfelt playing on this really special oud.

:airguitar:

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 10:22 AM

hey man

Holy shizzzzzzzzzzzzz thast one amazing sounding oud. im love it . mike you better use it in good healthy if not i will have to come and get it from you lol.:D

jameel as always great work....

thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 11:18 AM

oh my god...
thats is the very best type of sound...
right to my soul.
thanks Jameel
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 01:39 PM

He did it again, ladies and gentlemen. My socks are all the way across the room after being blown off by the amazing sound. Jameel, you're a master. Mike... you're a lucky man. Enjoy it in good health, my friend.

amtaha
Oud Junkie

Mood: beginner's frustration ...

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 02:36 PM

This is number 4 ... :) God bless your hands, Jameel.

Mike: may you play it long and healthy.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 04:51 PM

I'm really pleased with the sound, and you guys make me feel humbled by your comments. It's mostly copying the old masters and a good deal of luck that it has a nice sound. And of course I'm really pleased that now we know it has the sound to go along with all the fancy ornaments. That's the main thing that goes through my head when I build. It's one thing to spend time making a simple oud, and have the sound be either so-so or fantastic--you're not out much, and you've learned something, but to put so much effort (and it's a lot of effort to do the fine work--especially mental--I took more Ibuprofen for headaches on this one than I care to remember--and many days I had to force myself to walk away from the shop when I wasn't "on my game") into a very fancy instrument to have it turn out so-so can be disheartening. This is probably why there are a fair amount of simpler ouds from the early days each of the Nahat makers. As an apprentice, I could see spending little time on inlay and more time getting ouds made to gain experience, so I feel a bit irresponsible making the fancy stuff without many ouds under my belt. But, man, let me tell you when the fancy ones come out sounding like this, it's a sweet feeling.....yeah, I think I'll be building more ouds. But a little time off of fancy ones for a while. Thanks again everyone, you made this another unforgettable project. In a few weeks Mike and I will be posting some pictures of the completely finished oud (I haven't varnished it yet--and yes Samir, I'll be using Tru-oil mostly) and hopefully some videos of it being played by someone other than me.

JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 04:52 PM

Congrats Guys!

Great sound Master Jameelo...

Kol sana wento tayebeen!

JT
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 05:49 PM

I know it's hard to judge from an mp3 . . . but the oud sounds beautiful! What a soulful Arabic sound.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 07:12 PM
Fantastic !!!

Wow, Jameel - its sounds wonderful! I've been following the development of this masterpiece but I have responded until now simply because everyone has really just echoed my own thoughts but I really had to say something once we had a sound file to listen to. Although its really hard to judge by an mp3 recording the classic Arabic character of the sound is unmistakable! Great to know that the sound matches the visual beauty of the instrument.

Jameel - you will be happy to know that I am really enjoying my sandwich top instrument - it keeps getting better and has developed a rounder richer character since the day I received it. I have to assume that Mikes oud will develop into a real monster with time to mature!

Bravo - Mike, I wish you much joy in playing this oud! :xtreme:

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
Sidi
Oud Maniac

Mood: Very Sad...

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 02:27 AM

Hey Folks,

Jameel you've outdone yourself on this one my friend. What fantastic outcome...the sound is pure magic and the final look is much better than I thought it would be. Mike is finally getting the oud his kind soul deserves. Alf Alf mabrouk to both of you, this one prooves that talent, dedication...and some ibuprofen are a good formula for success.:D

Enjoy my friends.

-Sidi
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 06:29 AM

Lets hope the sound of this oud will convince Jameel to turn into full time oud building. I'm sure the topic has been mentioned before, and ultimately it would be up to Jameel if he can see himself doing it or not; but what's the likelyhood for Jameel to take up oud building as a profession?. Of course it would be hard to keep the bread on the table, if each oud was to take 3-4 months to build, and one could only charge so much for an instrument. But I suppose, even as a one man show, it would be possible to produce a lot more ouds on a full time basis, and they won't all need to be as highly unique as nos 2 and 4 I suppose. I'm sure you can take away a lot of the inlay work and delicate details, and still have a very fine instrument; no doubt the craftsmanship is unquestionable.

So there, I don't mean to come across as planning a career path for you Jameel :D, but I'm sure fellow oudists have had similar thoughts...

Cheers
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 09:24 AM

Thank you JT, Brian, Lee, Sidi, Melbourne.

Lee, very glad to hear you're enjoying #3. I was in fact wondering how its developing. I'm sure I'll get to hear it again in person before too long.

Sidi, nice to hear from you again after so long. You're presence here was missed.

Melbourne, who knows what the future holds, but it would be very difficult to pay the bills doing this.

journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 01:42 PM

Congratulations Jameel and Mike. I really don't see how anything could be any better....a work of art crafted to perfection and a sound from the soul of humanity...just beautiful.

Roy
oudluthiery
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 04:26 PM

very beautful work jameel:applause:
mmcconnell
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Jameel, your work inspires me so much--I look forward to each post on this thread as if the oud were my own.
About the go bars--
What type of wood is that? I've seen go-bars that can be ordered, made out of synthetic material, but it looks like you are using real wood (almost looks like walnut). Do that work just as well, or do you think it is worth ordering the synthetic go-bars?
Mike, you are a lucky man.

You could try Ash for making go-bars. We use it for our go-bars here at the lutherie. It is very springy and remembers its original shape well. ( Returns to a straight bar after use)

Probably why it was a popular wood for bow-making.

Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10

Go To Top