Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Arabic Keyboards
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 6-13-2007 at 10:32 AM
Arabic Keyboards

Hello,

Does anyone know it its possible to purchase a Western Keyboard and modify it so that it can play arabic maqams, rhtyhms and instruments? I tried searching online for Arabic keyboards but they were way expensive.

Adnan
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-13-2007 at 01:21 PM

Adnan! where are you my friend.
we havent seen you around!

I have a friend who is selling his GEM arabic Keyboard its a rather old model but it plays most of the scales I believe.
drop me a u2u or a email and I'll get you a picture.
rebetostar
Oud Maniac

Mood: Ajam Ushayran

[*] posted on 6-13-2007 at 01:30 PM
Soft synths

Quite a few software synths can be programmed to various tunings, one which I enjoy using which has several Arabic intonation presets is called Absynth.
http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=absynth4_us

For live use you would need a laptop (with the software loaded), plus a MIDI controller keyboard and ideally an outboard audio interface.
Ashley
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-13-2007 at 02:39 PM

Hi Adnan....

Rebetostar is dead right about the softsynth option and Absynth is a fantastically versatile program with great sounds and is fairly easy to get into.
There are a few other computer based options but they may be less effective or harder to achieve..

If you have a Sampler (program or hardware) you can create a key mapping system where you could tune certain notes to quater tones etc..the only problem with this is the use of actual samples which you would have to record and edit which is quite time consuming and to achieve a realistic instrumental sound you would need to record a sample every minor third
as pitch shifting loses clarity at larger intervals than this.

Depending on how authentic you want things to sound you might have to take into account the physical structure of a keyboard instrument as it is primarily designed to be used in western even temperament (after J.S Bach) with 12 semitones per octave. This causes some problems if you want to alter the pitch of certain tones..for instance it would be fine to create a tuning system that incorporated an E quater flat but it would then replace the normal E flat key on the keyboard..meaning that you would then have to tune the D key to E flat if you wanted to use that note in a melody or modulation..as you can imagine this means that the normal sequence of keys would become augmented and you would end up having to read certain notes transposed which might end up getting a bit weird!!.
i.e E 1/4 b as E b: E as D: D as B etc etc....

I hope this makes sense, if you want I can try to explain better in an email...

The other option would be to find a keyboard that has more than 12 notes per octave or some kind of mechanism (a bit like a Kanoun) that would allow you to change the pitch of individual keys as you played...

I once made a virtual clarinet using a sampler where you could do this kind of thing but it was very difficult to play using a keyboard...

Hope this helps a bit..i will try to find info about keyboards that work like this..

email me if you fancy

ashley.charles@hotmail.co.uk

Best wishes

Ash
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 06:13 AM
Free Arabic Instrument VSTi's

Adnan - if you decide to go the soft-synth way, but aren't ready to splash out your cash on Absynth check out these excellent FREE plugins:

Safwan Matni's Arabic VSTi

You'll find Ud, Qanun, Baglama, kamanjat string orchestra, Zourna, nay, percussion and even accordion and pianos...

You can set most of them to play the quarter notes of the maqamat.

And did I mention they're FREE??

- Andi
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 07:13 AM

ok how do I use this VST? from the computer I mean?

I read somewhere that you need a Digital Audio workstation..
is there a free one that I can download to enjoy these samples you posted above here?

thanks !!

samir
rebetostar
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 08:13 AM

Coolest!!
I can't wait to get home and try these VSTi's out!

Hey Samir, you need a VST host/sequencer program. There are many.. one really cool thing to get your feet wet is to buy a copy of Computer Music magazine, it costs $20 and comes with a DVD/R filled with software, including a VST host/sequencer and plenty of other "virtual instruments" (VSTi's). These virtual instruments work as plug-ins, and the host software allows you to play them and records the MIDI as you play. Oh yah, if you don't have one, you'll want a MIDI controller keyboard. In the meantime you could use your computer's keyboard, but it's not so nice.

BTW, really nice playing on the Proffessor's mega-oud!
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 08:19 AM

Many thanks rebetostar.

I'll check it out.
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 09:05 AM

Samir,

You can also use a simple and free VSTi host so you don't have to install a complete DAW. Here's the drill:

Download this: Simple VSTi Host

and unpack it somewhere.

Now download the VSTi's you want and unpack those in another folder (You might want to call that folder, VSTplugins).

Now simply start the VST host program, load in the plugins and hit that keyboard!!

Oh, one more thing, for the host to function properly, you NEED to have ASIO drivers. If you don't have an ASIO soundcard - don't sweat. Just download and install this:

Asio4All

It's a universal ASIO driver and works especially well with standard Realtek soundcards (found in most consumer PCs!)

I hope this helps you on your way... If you or anyone has any comments/questions about the whole VST/asio thing, don't hesitate to U2U me!

P.S. the host i linked to isn't exactly free - it's donationware, which means you can use it without limitations, but until you donate $$ you will get a splash screen for 10 seconds everytime you start the app... no big deal really, but just so you know!
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 09:09 AM

EXELLENT! thank you arsene
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 09:25 AM

Least I can do for you guys - I've learned a lot lurking on this forum, and never said thanks, so, thanks!

Plus, this being my area of expertise, I get a chance to show off a bit ;):bounce:
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 09:28 AM

Just one warning - getting in the DAW / VST world can be really addictive... Especially if you do decide to get to grips with a fully fledged DAW and make backing tracks for yourself, record yourself, you'll discover completely new ways of music making and I'm afraid there will be no turning back! Kinda like what I had when I picked up the oud after years of guitar playing, really.
Ashley
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 11:17 AM

hehehe!

Yes Arsene is right! the VST / computer music world goes so deep that you can expect to be sitting in a dark cosy studio for the next 10 years with your Oud and a load of other instruments making really cool music....love it! :bounce:

Arsene!! if you are into electronic and instrumental combinations it would be great to talk sometime, this is the kind of music that I really like to make and I am playing around with some ideas at the moment...

speak soon

Ash
rebetostar
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 10:31 PM

Me too.. same boat.
I'm using Logic Pro and just starting to learn Ableton Live.. which is really cool and easy to use..
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 02:11 AM

Hey Ash!

Yeah you could say I'm into that...

What I actually do, is make pop/rock music (SHOCK, HORROR, GASP!) with my band - arseneweb.com
and I also run a little production company specializing in recording demos of all sorts and making music for various companies - but that's just for the money :rolleyes::D ...

However, having discovered the oud (and previously the cobza) I have been playing with some ideas of making some really cool, new, fresh stuff... I haven't decided how yet...

i think it would be really cool if we could collaborate in some way? I use Cakewalk's Sonar for all my recording purposes. Occasionally I might employ the underestimated powers of FL Studio.

Sorry everyone if this is a little off-topic! Maybe we should start a new thread? "VSTi & Maqamat"? "The Oud, The DAW and the MIDI"?

So... rebetostar, you're a MAChead!? :rolleyes: just kidding...:wavey: I started out using mac ... but I like Sonar too much. Once they make an OSX version I'll fly over to the mac side again, but until then it's mr Gates!
I used to use Logic.. until they made it mac-only... bastards!

Go To Top