Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Jamil Bashir Oud Method (VOL1 & 2 pdf) - update II -
amtaha
Oud Junkie

Mood: beginner's frustration ...

[*] posted on 6-17-2007 at 05:42 AM

I hate to be the party spoiler.

Your post is naturally appreciated, Alami

But credits for creating the pdf should go to the person with email ahmed@zeryab.com (as can be deduced from the pdf's "Properties) and my guess is that this is the "ahmed" who owns and moderates zeryab website and forum. (On that forum, he goes by the nickname zeryab.)

Regards,
Hamid
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-17-2007 at 08:17 AM

Not party spoiler at all Hamid, you're probably right.
Like many others I had a very bad quality photocopies of photocopies and I was complaining of their quality, so a friend gave me a while ago on a cd a folder full of unorganized jpg files of better quality (to be exact: Volume 2 was unorganized jpg files and volume one was in 4 separate files), I've put them in order, arranged the sizes and contrast and gathered them in a convenient single pdf file for each volume and I printed them for my use. I haven't checked the jpg infos , so if the credit of this better quality files goes to ahmad, I join you to thank him.
Then I decided to post the files I have, and I had to do a further compression as the original pdfs I made where 66 MB each volume.
The point, and only point, is about sharing useful ressources that are no more available to buy, like the sound files of Jabakji playing his own book that I was posting for a while, the book is still available but not the tapes.
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 6-17-2007 at 12:45 PM

Thank you Alami, I read recently an interview of Zacarya Zoubeidi, Jenin.
He said something like the intifada should not only be military, but cultural, artisitic etc.
As you say "a few hundred around the world will do Jamil Bashir the honor of spending hours, days, months and years learning oud in his books",
Thank you to give us the bullets to reply against their war.
We are in resistance

Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 6-17-2007 at 10:43 PM

Thank's! I got it too with Matheww's help!
:applause:
muthada
Oud Maniac

Mood: oudish

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 12:54 AM
thx man

now i need a translator;)
excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 01:30 AM

Habibi Alami-

YOU'RE SO RIGHT- IT IS NOT OIL, it's sustainable, IT IS OUD: ART, AN ETERNAL GIFT FROM GOD- and no matter how much they have stolen so far- this: they can never!

misconstrue my post all you want- I dont care anymore-

-in solidarity with all my Arab brothers pursuing their art despite the genocide in Iraq and Palestine, despite the foolish fratricide (albeit neo-colonial) in Lubnan and Gaza----

the Oud is sometimes our only hope, and who better to teach us than Ustaz Jamil Bashir?

Shukran Jazeelan ya Habibi Alami-

tarik
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 03:20 AM

Salamu 3alaikum Alami and all oud masses,

thank you bro, its an honur to have copies of master Jamil Bashir books and the hope is to be able to make the most out of it.

as for the people of Iraq I hope all their problems come to an end and go back to normality very soon, and lets all pray for that and also please make a prayer or du3a to the blessed soul of master Jamil may God rest his soul in peace and grant him heaven for his contribusions to the oud and music.

thank you again Alami

salam

Awad
Jack_Campin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 04:25 AM

I can't download it using IE5 for the Mac either.

I don't have access to a Windows machine.

Coul somebody put the files on a more accessible site?

michoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: in the mooud again..

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 05:00 AM

Thanks Alami!!!!!
Jack I have Mac and I haven´t got any problems to download it...
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_Campin
I can't download it using IE5 for the Mac either.

I don't have access to a Windows machine.

Coul somebody put the files on a more accessible site?

Jack check your U2 inbox if you still having problems to download the Bashir method.
mustafa
Oud Maniac

Mood: oud moud

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 01:58 PM

Thank you very much...
mjamed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-18-2007 at 08:32 PM

Thank you very much for sharing such a valuable resource :)
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 07:48 AM

I don't think we'll be able to have this book reprinted, no matter how much determination there is. There's a similar thread about Mutlu Torun's Ud Metodu - the publishers have been promising an English translation for ages now.

If it's hard to get something done in Turkey, imagine how it will be in Iraq. I think the best we could do right now is to follow in Alami's footsteps and translate it ourselves. Who knows, this way maybe in the future there'll be enough interest again to actually have this book reprinted.

Just my 2 cts.
amtaha
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 09:54 AM

http://www.zeryab.org/zeryab/showthread.php?t=19361&page=4

In an arabic post on zeryab.org, dated 4th of November, 2006, it is mentioned that ...

"I would like to let you know, my fellows, that Mr. Habib Thaher Al-Abbas has re-published the book in one volume comprising the two parts, adding a historical introduction. The book is published by the House of Cultural Affairs in Iraq, answering an increasing demand." (Posted by Dreed Al-Khafaji)

Which is good news, on more than one level.
amtaha
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 09:55 AM

Alami,

It's a wonderful job that you did, and an effort that shouldn't go unappreciated.

Thank you!
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 12:53 PM

Thanks to all for your kind words, I did some research and tests about digital books restoration, the results seem promising.
I started with book 2 and worked on few pages, it will take a while to finish it all as each page should be treated separately boosting the resolution then filtering and sharpening.
Here is a partial pdf, if someone has comments and suggestions it is better to share them at this stage:

Test_Restoration_Mid.pdf]Vol2 Partial restoration {removed}

What do you think of its quality ?

I have no idea of the meaning of some pieces titles, I think it is kurdish, anyone knows kurdish or can tell the meaning ?

Another finding while trying to understand the pages jdowning was inquiring about is that there is a note of a 3rd volume but I don't know if it was ever published, this diagram is a transposition chart but it is too small and difficult to trnslate, here is the best resolution I have
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 01:30 PM

Alami- I can't seem to access the link Partial Vol 2 to view the digital restoration you have done thus far, it asks for a password and username, or am I doing accessing this link incorrectly? keep up the good work!
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 01:35 PM

Sorry a misspell, now it is fixed... ...
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 12:31 AM
restoration

Hi Alami- I've had a look at what you have done so far with Partial Restoration Vol2, and in my humble opinion it is looking very good. See what others think. I've printed out Sama'i Hijaz Kar and Sama'i Diwan Hosseiny to see what they would look like. The notes are definitely clear enough to read and follow, I don't think anyone would have a problem making out the notation, and if anyone was to obtain a copy of Bashirs method with the level of clarity of music notation you have acheived, they would be happy, it looks very good. The musical notation could be a bit sharper, but this would require more work on your part which might be very time consuming, such as touching up the notes in photoshop or similiar software. This depends on how much time and effort you are able to put into this project and how satisfied you are with the end result. As you can see, the response to your helping to make Bashirs method available to us has been so very positive and a real musical blessing. You are helping to keep the work of this great man alive, and if you left the quality of the digital restoration as you now have made it, everyone would be grateful to you. Out of curiosity, have you considered making available a CD of someone playing the songs/exercises in this Bashir method to accompany the books? shukran, sincere thanks!
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 11:32 AM
Restored Volume 2

Volume 2 digitally restored and looks much better now and I included basic english translation
2 versions available but the size went up:

High res (150 dpi) for print (25 MB)
Screen res (72 dpi) (10.5 MB)
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-23-2007 at 12:42 PM

Thanks for the higher resolution images and translations to English. Nice work ALAMI.
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 01:28 AM

I contacted Ahmed from Ziryab (see amtaha post abv).

First to thank him for making this book available in the first place and to give him a copy of the new pdfs.
He is a very nice and helpful guy, he explained that it is an edition from 1990s and he sent me the cover of the first 1963 edition (attached)
He gave me also a copy of a very old (and very badly printed) arabic book : "Sherif Mehyeddine Haydar and his students", it is not a method, it is a book on the life and work and the students of the Sherif and some music sheets of his compositions. I think it is a part of a bigger book (I have only 24 pages), there is an interesting maqam analysis of two compositions and an answer to a question I asked many times without having a clear explanation: the difference between Bayat and Oshak.
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 04:56 AM

Thx again Alami for sharing this with us....

I have a question for those who've had time to go through the material. I've printed Vol 1 and I've been flicking through it on the train to and from work....Does anyone find the recommended fingering a little different?? A lot of the exrecises have finger numbers written on top of the notes.

My question relates to the f natural, third finger on d string, or at least I thought. I found that in different exercises, the same f is shown with 2nd, 3rd and 4th finger playing....?? Is this common?

I've taught myself the ud, and I've only ever used an old Lebanese oud method book (by Joseph Fakhouri) which always shows the same "f" to be played with the 3rd finger..

This may well be the right way, as I've never had an official ud lesson!....but I hope someone can clarify further...

Cheers guys...
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 05:38 AM

Hi Melbourne- speaking from both a guitar and oud players perspective, I would think that the finger you use to hold down that 'F' note ( as your example) on the D string would sometimes be the 3rd finger or sometimes maybe the 2nd finger depending on where your fingers are coming from into that note, and then where you are going (musically speaking)after you finger that note. I have found that the suggested fingering given with any oud music can be very helpful as a guide, but sometimes I might prefer to use a fingering that is not only easier for my personal style, but also fits what note/scale pattern or variation/inversion/etc I am planning to play. From my experience I have found it best not to be too rigid with things like there is only one fingering for any one note. Does this make any sense? Going through book 2 (and thanks again for your work on this Alami), I have tried the fingering as suggested by the great Jamil Bashir, and this has been very useful in gaining a different perspective on fingering. However there have been a couple of places where I have chosen my own slight variation of a fingering. Try the suggested fingering and see if it works for you, it could even become a useful exercise, but if another fingering seems to work for you then try that as well. We each have different hand and finger shapes and sizes, and what worked for J Bashir's fingering may not always work in the exact same way for you. Whatever fingering it takes to play the music with clarity, feeling, emotion, sensitivity and with proper speed and precision and feel comfortable and freely express one's own unique individual approach to playing oud is what is important I think.:)
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 02:49 AM

Hey thanks for your suggestions MatthewW. I guess coming from a classical background made me a little hesitant to bend the rules. As my first instrument is violin, which I no longer study, interpreting notes is a lot more formal than it would be in more folklorish music styles; although the oud is just as much a classical (Arabic) instrument as it is folk.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top