Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Shehata ouds available...
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 12-8-2007 at 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gilgamesh
Hello OUd Freak!
Ouds are like humans, in my own simple point of view: Quality and beauty are inside (before all)!
The little superficial defects you have noticed,

He isn't noticing real defects though. He's making wild accusations of imprecise geometry based on low resolution jpg's taken in poor lighting and at angles that can distort shapes and measurements.
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 12:06 AM

s, low resolution photos cannot distort a circle into something indefinite. If I ask for a oud to be perfect, there is nothing wrong in that. I wonder why the ouds of other luthiers (I don't want to do publicity) don't have these small imperfections. A european lute maker would not tolerate them, even though they are minor defects. A good luthier also would not tolerate a non aesthetic clean and neat bracing, even though it is not seen. Maybe they are some foreign lutes with a few defects, I don't know, but I never seen them yet. This forum is made to express ourselves because we love and somehow worship the instrument. Being demanding is not a lack of respect. As for Mr. Ghadban, I already communicated with him through U2U and he was very understanding, I really thank him a lot in front all of you. If ouds are a craftsman work that doesn't justify imperfections. Such imperfection would not be existing on good violins, even affordable ones. Regards
gilgamesh
Oud Junkie

Mood: in the mood

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oud Freak
s, low resolution photos cannot distort a circle into something indefinite. If I ask for a oud to be perfect, there is nothing wrong in that. I wonder why the ouds of other luthiers (I don't want to do publicity) don't have these small imperfections. A european lute maker would not tolerate them, even though they are minor defects. A good luthier also would not tolerate a non aesthetic clean and neat bracing, even though it is not seen. Maybe they are some foreign lutes with a few defects, I don't know, but I never seen them yet. This forum is made to express ourselves because we love and somehow worship the instrument. Being demanding is not a lack of respect. As for Mr. Ghadban, I already communicated with him through U2U and he was very understanding, I really thank him a lot in front all of you. If ouds are a craftsman work that doesn't justify imperfections. Such imperfection would not be existing on good violins, even affordable ones. Regards
Hello Oudfreak!
Now I understand your point of view and somewhere I agree.Ciao amigo
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 08:42 AM

Thx Gilgamesh for ur understanding.
Soon I'll try to take pics of some interesting ouds including mine and some friends' oud if they agree, so you see better what I mean.
I have a big problem, it's that I am a kind of oud slave, and I dream of making a good collection, unfortunatley not enough money, and if I do, I'll be kicked out from home, lol!
Cheers!
michoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: in the mooud again..

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 11:38 AM

Oud Freak I think no musical instrument is perfect, violins guitars ouds...no one is perfect.
i´ve studying luthery with a very very good violin maker, I know several incredible luthiers of cremona,and they make incredible violins, but never "perfect"
No instrument is perfectly symmetrical, the perfect symmetry is not pretty, and imposible to realice if you make with your hands!!!!( and I think is impossible to making it with machines)
is the same if you listen a computer rithm, it´s perfect but no pretty, perfection is not human, arts are made by humans, music is made by humans, human is not perfect - arts isn´t perfect.
amtaha
Oud Junkie

Mood: beginner's frustration ...

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 11:53 AM

It's all in the eye of the beholder, so perhaps we ought to let the beholder be ... :)

And for what it's worth, this now is bearing on a post-hijack. Especially in this thread, I think it is more appropriate to maintain discussions to whatever is relevant to the sale. Otherwise, we have a whole thread to ponder upon other issues and musings.

Hamid
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 01:36 PM

Amtaha, it goes without saying that nothing is perfect, nothing is perfectly symmetric etc… of course. In executing construction works there is a certain small “error margin” (I don’t know how it is said in English).You are totally right in this point. There are limits somehow! An opening in a violin has to have a certain size, dimension and appearance. This kind of opening is not as obvious and easy as a circle! The oud subject in my comments is not a subject of a bad symmetry. The rosettes (the openings) are not exactly circular and the defect of the left one on the screen, and its contours are more than obvious, that’s all. Anyway, as for the thread subject u are absolutely right, it is about the sale! Fully agreed.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top