Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: eagle risha
azzizza
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 06:04 AM
eagle risha

Hi all, Any leads or availability of eagle risha? I remember being in Engin Erogluer's shop in Istanbul with our language gap and i was flapping my arms like wings to ask if he had any available (he didn't)

Armen
azzizza
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 06:26 AM
risha

Anyone willing sell me any of their eagle risha? email me at armensevag@comcast.net if so ..thanks

Armen
http://www.aravod.com
damascene_oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Obssessed by oud

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 04:05 AM

Hi azzizza,
I think they are extremely rare now adays, not because it's hard to get eagle's feathers, but also because they need a special process that i think doesn't exist anymore. I use a risha made of sliced bull horn, that i scrub with a file to the desired thicknedd and then i dip it in olive oil for a week, after that i make final touches to it with the fine file. And it is the best i had known so far.
You never hear the hissing sound of scratch on the strings like other kinds of rishas.
You may want to try those if u can get'em.
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 04:35 AM

Hi damascene_oud! I've seen these buffalo rishas on ebay with Nile Shop, are these the type of risha you are talking about? : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-HandMade-Egyptian-Oud-Pick-Risha-BuffaloHor...

I'd be interested to know where you can purchase the buffalo rishas my friend, or do you have a buffalo in your garden?

I've also heard that eagle risha may tend to wear down quickly, but not having used one I am not sure. got the U2Us, thanks!
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 08:41 AM

Guys, please leave the eagles alone,
don't be part of "creating demand", hunting eagles is forbidden anywhere. They will tell you "it is from a zoo or we found it in the nature" and you'll fool yourself into believing, you'll pay 20 dollars for it and that's how "demand" is created.
I have a house in the high mountain in North Lebanon, when I was a kid tens of eagles used to be looping around in the sky, in the last 5 years I haven't seen a single eagle in this region, they killed them all.
I've tried an eagle risha once, it is honestly not good, very thin and difficult to grab, and if you play hard you'll break it in an hour. I have a quantity of horn rishas from Aleppo, you have to buy ten to get a decent one (after oil and sanding with 600 then oil then sanding)
The best rishas I've tried were a gift from our friend Jameel specially the one with double thickness: very soft from one side and mid-hard from the other, you'll find yourself flipping it depending on what you're playing.
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 09:20 AM

I feel similiar to Alami, I don't think my conscience would let me play a decent maqam thinking about how and by what means they got the eagle to 'donate' a risha. I've been using the usual plastic rishas, and haven't tried any of those double thickness ones Jameel had, they sound interesting.
( later addition) this thread is starting to get very interesting!
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 09:35 AM

Eagle rishas of the Iraqi tradition as used by the late Munir Bashir and now his son Omar are stored in oliv oil for 6 months and after that they won’t split at all (I don’t know how many times I have been writing that here). I am using eagle rishas since very long time and they last very long time up two 2-3 years and then I play normally for some hours every day if I am in mood for it. But, eagle rishas are best suited for ouds with lower string tension and this is not a problem on the Bashir oud if you lower the tuning as I do or like Bashir did most of the time. The eagle risha technique is very different all other material being used for rishas and most players find the eagle risha very difficult to master and believe me I have seen a lot….Anyway, is offcourse not wise to use feathers from endangered species but they are legal sources such as some taxidermist that sometimes have a eagle feather. Or like my recent luck when I won a beautiful oud on ¨terrible eBay¨ that came with an old eagle risha!

Best wishes

Ronny
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 12:32 PM

How are the eagle feathers prepared for use as rishas - apart from soaking in olive oil? I imagine that the end of the quill must be pared or cut down (like making a quill pen?) - but how is this done exactly?
The use of eagle feathers is, I understand, traditional but what is special about these feathers - are they of particularly large size (and from what part of the wing of what particular species of eagle)? Or is the use of eagle feathers possibly just a romantic idea - like the oud strings made from the intestines of a young lion quoted in early Arabic texts? Has anyone tried other kinds of bird feathers? I ask because I have a flock of domestic geese on my farm and at this time of year they are moulting (naturally discarding their feathers) - so there are large wing feathers lying about all over the place going to waste. I would be willing to experiment with these feathers if others with more experience in these matters than I think that this might be a viable alternative source for making rishas.
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 10:58 PM
Quills, horn and plastic

Ahh... the endless quest for the perfect risha!

I have been experimenting with different risha for a while now – sort of an excercise in frustration. I had the good fortune to try an eagle risha once . It belonged to Ghassan Bashir. This was one of the most flexible little rishas I've ever seen - it was like butter! Very thin and flexible yet strong with a hard surface. I've attempted to make something similar out of goose feathers, pea<b>rooster</b> feathers – probably the closest I've come to eagle was using turkey feathers BUT it was not very close. In the end I don't think the material is as important as the technique you use with the specific risha. I really think that you can develop a technique for anything. Hard, soft, flexible, stiff – they all have their own sound and anything can work with the right technique.

Lately I've been using stiffer risha – my current favorite are the "Mizrite" risha that Jameel has. These are very tough and hold up to heavy use very well – you can sand them down to very thin or shape them so they are a bit stiffer. I suggest finding a material that sounds good and sticking with it for a while until you get a good feel for it. Work on developing your technique and don't obsess over some magical material.

Of course... I only advise that because I'm obsessed with trying new risha materials myself. :airguitar:

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 06:09 AM

Hi all,

Indeed a very interesting topic, well because I am contemplating something similar, or shall I say the same thing! well I agree with Lee Varis in saying ( I suggest finding a material that sounds good and sticking with it for a while until you get a good feel for it. Work on developing your technique and don't obsess over some magical material.
But for me the risha is always a headache, and my collection of risha's its ever growing tired every type but never satisfied with sound, but to be fair some risha's work better than others. and also as Lee mentioned the technique is a big factor and sometimes I watch other people playing using same risha's I used with great sound.

But as it turned out to be an obsession with risha's for me now, and in my quest for the perfect risha I am going to experiment with new materials I don't think its been tried before (I haven't heard of anyone using or trying to customise one) so it may turn out to be a new discovery

Right folks, just recently through one of my contacts in Sudan I was introduced to one of the local wildlife officers very helpful guy and very passionate about his work I really admired his dedication and commitment to what he loves doing best which is the preservation of the wildlife and care for the animals.
He took me on a safari last year and showed around on of the most beautiful safari parks in the area, man it was the most exciting three days in my life we spent in the jungle and as wildlife is one of my favourite subjects I really enjoyed it watching animals big and small and being close to them was awesome.
Sorry back to the subject of risha's, one of the animals I was really fascinated by was the porcupine, especially its defensive techniques by puffing its quills ready to launch it at its opponent or attacker, and they super sharp like darts and definitely very painful. I asked my friend what are they I mean are they bone or what so he explained they similar to the feather shaft...
So when I got back to England I thought about the possibility of making a risha out of one using the same technique used for eagle risha's, I also asked him to fetch me some eagle feathers (but this proved to be a little bit tricky when he asked me what species of eagles am after? as he said they have a many types of them)?
Right, just last night I phoned him and excitedly said he got me five porcupine quills, and he received a call from a local zoo telling him that they have eagles in captivity with lots of feathers scattered in the den ;)
So now we have got the raw materials with no damage to the environment and no suffering caused to any of the animals concerned (this is the first thing I made sure about, and stressed that this is an experiment and I am not and will not make a profit out of it)
It’s just as well as anyone here I just want to try and see if there is any magic in this.
As soon as I get the materials I will start a thread and work on the project with your help and guidance and any other resources available. And then we will put them to the test and see the result.
I am very excited about this already guys it will be fun for me and I hope it will be the same for you.
I just googled porcupine quill and it turned out to be a native American thing used in decorations and other things, so this is the first resource I am going to research for ideas. And if you can come up with anything in regard to the project let me know.

I am expecting the quills anytime within the first two weeks in July, so pray with me they pass the sniffer dogs at the airport.

Best regards to all, and stay tuned

Awad
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 06:31 AM

Hey awad

great topic number one,
number 2 awad , when i was hiking in israel 3 days across the country sea to sea , we saw lots and lots of porkiipines. so i was these sharp lil things and desided to take a 12 of them or a lil more, and thought to my self i will try to make stiff rishis out of them. when i got back to my apt in israel i started sanding and shaving them down . btw they looked very kool after doing it bc it was a nice color to them .
so when packing to come home i must have left themt here bc i cant find them, but if you loved stiff rishis and play very slow like teckniques wise these are great and they havea a absalute nice sound i think
"to each its own"
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
abusin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-23-2007 at 04:38 AM

Hi Sammy,

Great to know someone have tried this before, but what I am thinking now is using the same method used with eagle feather, which is soaking in olive oil for the same duration (six month) to soften them a bit.

Did you soak them or sanded them straight away, will see how this ones will turn out and will keep you all updated.

I am so looking forward to put my hand on them

Cheers,

Awad
damascene_oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-23-2007 at 05:32 AM

Hi Matthew dear,
Those kinds of Bufallo rishas can be found in stores selling oriental instruments namely Qanoon. Generally speaking they are used to play qanoon with, but can be used for oud also when carefully cut and rasped with a fine file to suit your taste and technique. For me they are better than eagle's feather.
And yes i agree with you dear Alami, we shouldn't promote killing of wild predacious free birds just for the feather or any other reason. therefore i join my voice to yours. And asure you that nobody would ever think of going to nature and camp for just a feather of an eagle. Not to mention that eagle's feather is taken from only one or two species of those birds, normally this feather grows in the birds neck. People usually hunt those birds to train them on hunting, which is a wrold sport, very much known in the arab world. And those birds, are particularly extremely expensive due to their rarity.
So guys, try other things, try the buffallo risha and forget about the eagles, after all it too hard for anyone to catch an eagle.
And no dear buffallo, i wish i had a heard of buffallos in my garden, i would have given a risha for each one of you. :D
damascene_oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-23-2007 at 05:54 AM

oh guys just remembered something about rishas,
once i was walking in the narrow winding alleys of old town Damascus when i came across the old shop of the late Mr. Mohammed Haddad (very famous oud professor in Damascus) i had known him since long time then. I went to his very interesting old shop, which was like heaven to me, and i would forget everything in the world and get lost, amongst rare old ouds for Nahhat and others, rare music sheets...and his oud playing.
I entered his shop and he was sitting listening to Oum Kolsoum. He nodded to me to sit down (very old wooden chair carrying the burden of many years of use), i sat down without saying a word, not even a hiss.
As the song finished, he started to praise the paralleled singing of Oum Kolsoum and her heavinly voice and stunning performance. Then i noticed an old oud sitting next to him, he answered my question that this was an old nahhat our dating back to 1920's, i asked him to play something for me on it.
He took the oud (which was fascinating in terms of shape and design) and started searching for something, i asked him what about he was looking for, he said his risha. After he lost hope of finding a risha among the neatly laid chaos of dusty items in his shop, he looked around and asked me to hand over to him a match box that was close to me. He took it, tore the outside cover of the matchbox, and folded maybe 3 times and made it almost 1 c.m wide.
He grabbed it, and said: "i feel like playing this song for Oum Kolsoum"
and with the Nahhat Oud and this most unusuly risha he played "Ya Zalemni".
The only thing i could do, is to sit there, with my mouth open, totally dazzled at two things: one, how stunning his playing was, second: how fascinting his playing was using such kind of very premitive risha.
As he finished, i told him that this is really amazing how can one use anything to play oud with. He said: "Habibi, an outsider can never produce any kind of art if he doesn't have the talent, even if he uses the most expensive sable painting brushes, but a real artist can create masterpieces using anything in his very talented hand even a piece of charcoal" then he esued his saying by an old arabic proverb, roughly translates into: "A sword takes its power from the hand holding it".
He was one of a kind...god rest his soul.
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-23-2007 at 08:45 AM

John, the Iraqi styled risha is made of of the ¨Rachis¨ part of the Retrice feathers (the primaries) and not the ¨calamus¨section which is called for ¨Quill¨. The ¨calamus¨section is hollowed and not suitable for risha but this is the sections we use for writing instrument since the hollow sections function as a reservoir for the ink and the end is easy to shape. The technique for making a writing instrument is completely different the technique used for rishas and we do not use the same part of the feather but the common thing is that we use the same feathers of the bird; the Retrice feathers. Thought the swan and goose feathers were the preferred for ¨writing pens¨ but some predator birds feathers were also used. The Retrice feathers are the strongest feathers on a bird and predator birds have the strongest ones among all bird species. The Rachis part is shaped as a semi circle and after splitting it in two sections along its shaft one keep the section that has flat side. When splitting the shaft is essential that one doesn’t remove all the soft white dried remains of the pulp which strengthen the risha after it has been stored in olive oil. It takes approximately 6 months for the oliv oil to penetrate the ¨white pulp¨ and it changes color during the process from white to light brown. If you remove the ¨white pulp¨ you end up with a risha that is very fragile and there is no purpose to store it in oliv oil since the oil nor soften or strengthen the keratin. Thought, oliv oil is good for the flexibility of horn rishas but it depends also of the quality/texture of the horn.

Quote:
Originally posted by jdowning
How are the eagle feathers prepared for use as rishas - apart from soaking in olive oil? I imagine that the end of the quill must be pared or cut down (like making a quill pen?) - but how is this done exactly?
The use of eagle feathers is, I understand, traditional but what is special about these feathers - are they of particularly large size (and from what part of the wing of what particular species of eagle)? Or is the use of eagle feathers possibly just a romantic idea - like the oud strings made from the intestines of a young lion quoted in early Arabic texts? Has anyone tried other kinds of bird feathers? I ask because I have a flock of domestic geese on my farm and at this time of year they are moulting (naturally discarding their feathers) - so there are large wing feathers lying about all over the place going to waste. I would be willing to experiment with these feathers if others with more experience in these matters than I think that this might be a viable alternative source for making rishas.

Best wishes

Ronny
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-23-2007 at 12:54 PM

Thanks for the information Ronny - also as domestic geese do not fly (very much or far) their feathers, I imagine, are likely much weaker compared to those of soaring birds like eagles.
Whatever happened to eagle talons though - these were supposed to be the best for rishas in earlier times?
Regards
John
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 02:45 AM

dear damascene_oud, thanks for sharing that lovely story with us about your interesting experience in the old shop of Mr. Mohammed Haddad, and how he took a part of a matchbox cover to use for a risha. Besides oud, I also play guitar, and there have been times in the past when I didn't have a guitar pick at hand and I did the same thing, taking a piece of matchbox cover ( that's when I used to smoke and always had a matchbox with me!) and folding it until it was stiff enough to play with. There is a lot of wisdom for us in the example of Mr. Mohammed Haddad, and also what Lee Varis has said in this interesting thread, that "in the end I don't think the material is as important as the technique used". It's still interesting to read what others have commented and what we are using for rishas. :airguitar:
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 03:12 AM

:applause:
Very interesting thread, I myself spend three hours yesterday night to sand down some plastic you use to tigh electric cables so as to make a risha, as I'm not satisfied from the two first one I made myself on the same way. And dear Damascene_oud your story gave me incentive to go on playing oud today instead of trying to find the perfect risha and to go on for another new risha.. Maybe the perfect risha is like the perfect woman (or man if you are a woman like Marina ;-) ), you can dream about it but you should deal with what you have..
:D
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 06:07 AM

John, I have tried goose feathers and as you stated they are more fragile and the part you need for a correct risha in the Iraqi style that I described, then are the goose feathers insufficient in many aspects. I have noticed that historians of medieval plectrums for lutes and other plucked instruments when they reconstruct medieval plectrums use the Calamus section (quill) which is the part that is more or less cylindrical and also comes without the remains of the pulp! Therefore a plectrum made of this part has a tendency to be rather fragile. I wonder whether the Iraqi risha technique were more widely spread in the past and today is a forgotten ¨ancient art¨ . Well, I have never tried eagle talons and I don’t think I will.

Best wishes

Ronny
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 06:20 AM

"in the end I don't think the material is as important as the technique used"

What a simplification, the technique depends off course on the material why else the variations in materials for risha and risha techniques? I recall Munir Bashir complaining the last years his struggle to find eagle risha and believe me the majority of players searching for their ¨perfect risha¨ fitting their technique have not developed a neither personal technique nor expression. You have to settle your mind when they are no short cuts to be a good oud player.

Best wishes

Ronny
damascene_oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 12:28 PM

Yes dear Matthew i totally agree with Lee Varis has said here. It's not the risha but the hand that holding it. I ahve seen people playing oud with the most elaborate and rare eagle's feather, but i wasn't impressed at all.
And have seen people playing oud using a piece of matchbox, i was totally stunned to their play.
And good you have quit smoking Matthew, that's the best part in this whole story. :wavey:
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 12:57 PM

An interesting thread.
I was trying to remember where I had heard the reference to eagle talons being used. I seem to remember that the kind gentleman in Cairo who tried to introduce me to the art of oud playing in 10 minutes(!)- after I had purchased my oud - mentioned the use of eagle talons. On further checking my files I find that it apparently was Ziryab, at the court of Khalif Harun (died 809) who introduced a plectrum of eagle's talon instead of that of wood which had formerly been used (ref. H.G. Farmer - Studies in Oriental Musical Instruments, Civic Press, Glasgow, 1939). So a 'matchbox' risha is likely more ancient and historically correct than those made from modern materials.
Thank goodness eagle talons are no longer in vogue!
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 01:11 PM

Thanks for refreshing my memory John, actually the traditional plectrum for the saz was made of the innerbark of cherry and was stored in oliv oil but I dont know if there is any source about whether the wood plectrum was made of the innerbark or sap/heartwood.

Best wishes

Ronny
abusin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 07:42 AM

Hi Ronny,

So it is right (this perfec risha obssesion or myth, have even troubled the masters?) "I recall Munir Bashir complaining the last years his struggle to find eagle risha"

I just find it fursrating, when you play and you don't like the sound straight away you blame it on the risha, and some times I use the same risha and it goes perfectly well.. so what is the mystry here?
This is why I decided trying the eagle feather just to see if it will make sparks fly and a little genie appears and take over the taqsim to another level:)
also as I mentioned above I will try the porcupine quill, as its similar to feather shaft in structure and may be in contents?
anyway its furustration in simple terms:(

best regards,

Awad
Brynley
Oud Addict

Mood: very positive

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 11:37 AM

I,m in agreement to leave the Eagles alone, most times I would think the eagle would be killed to obtain the feathers. Most wild animals in the world are in danger of extinction these days,(unlike in earlier times) and it seems the rarer an animal gets, the more demand there is for it,s body parts. Lets help keep these animals around for our grandchildren to admire, and find other risha matierials to play our music with.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top