Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: The start of a beautiful friendship
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 08:58 AM
The start of a beautiful friendship

Earlier this week, Joseph Tawadros returned home to Sydney after a few weeks in Paris and London ........ and a few days in Istanbul !!!
He brought with him a beautiful new friend.
Joseph and his new friend can be seen here, laying down tracks for a major motion picture, the day after he got off the plane from Turkey.
No prizes for guessing who introduced Joe to the new love in his life. (Yes, you are right, this is a rather special Arabic oud made for Joseph by Faruk Türünz)

More pictures and the full story to follow.
Greg
Administrator

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 09:07 AM

It's three in the morning here, so the followup pictures and story will have to wait. But here is another picture from the same recording session. More later.....
Faladel
Oud Junkie

Mood: ya salam

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 09:22 AM

Hi Greg:

¿can You say to me who is the Luthier of this oud?
Thanks ;)

Oud Player
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 09:28 AM

Its master Faruk!!!

Leon
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 10:34 AM

Thanks Greg for burning the midnight oil on this one! Can't wait to see more pics. That is an incredible looking oud. The pickguard is just fantastic. It's so nice to see excellently crafted embellished ouds, and this one looks to be incredible. Some close-ups of the pickguard would be great. The artist doing Faruk's inlay work is a real master.

Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 08:53 PM

Cool pictures...Cool oud...cool kangol. :buttrock:

Good to see that you guys have finally hooked up. It's long overdue. Looking forward to the story and more pictures of this beautiful oud.

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 02:54 AM

Wow,

Mabrouk Joseph! I can't wait to hear you playing this beautiful instrument - thanks for the pictures Greg!

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 06:17 AM

awesome:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 06:24 AM

and you have seven string tracks on it I see, i.e. you can both add a low bass string and the high F (in Arabic tuning) if I'm not mistaking
Greg
Administrator

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 07:49 AM
Some background info:

In his quest for the perfect instrument, Joseph has acquired, and has in his collection, many ouds. But, like most of us oud “crazies”, he continues to search for the "perfect" instrument.
In early 2006, whilst performing in Adelaide, he was loaned a Faruk Türünz oud. He was very impressed by the production quality, tone and playability of this instrument, but it was a Turkish oud and Joseph is an Arabic oud player, so that’s as far as it went.
What Joseph didn’t know was that Faruk had been doing some serious work on soundboard tuning and bracing designs for Arabic ouds since early 2005.
To cut a long story short, in February of this year, Joseph and Faruk “discovered” eachother and thus began a close (but long distance) collaboration, in which Faruk designed and built the oud to Joseph’s physical specifications, but using his renowned design techniques.

For the full story, here is a link to a draft of an article to be published in the next month’s issue of Music Forum Magazine (the official magazine of the Music Council of Australia)
http://www.worldmusiccafe.info/turunztawadros.html

Both Faruk and Joseph are delighted with the results of their collaboration and have come to an agreement whereby similar instruments, to be known as the “Joseph Tawadros Signature Model,” will be available from Faruk. As with all Faruk's instruments, each instrument will be made to order and some of the individual specifications may be altered to suit individual buyers' needs. Faruk is a member of these forums, so I will leave it to him to expand on the detail, but the basics are as follows:

The Joseph Tawadros Signature Model includes;

# 7 courses tuned (from bass to treble)

C (can be tuned down to a G as suggested by JT) – single course
F (can be tuned down to a D as suggested by JT) – single course (if double preferred, can be arranged)
A – Double course
D – Double course
G – Double course
C – Double course
F – Double course

# A High Quality Fishman under saddle Acoustic pick-up and pre-amp equalizer.

# Tuned bracings for Arabic tonalities and special Faruk Türünz Frequency Formula.

# Stylish Joseph Tawadros Logo carved in the Ebony fingerboard using PlexiGlass (Logo also available in Mother of Pearl – Must be discussed with Faruk.)
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 08:01 AM

Nice article Greg. Thanks for posting.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is itching to hear a sound clip of this oud. So, JT...can we hear it?!! Pleeeez! :bowdown:

Greg
Administrator

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 08:30 AM
More pics:

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 01:30 PM

hey greg
thx alot very interesting
thx sammy
p.s what is that buuilding in the backround of the last pic

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 02:08 PM

Sammy,

That would be the church of Agia Sophia (Holy Wisdom), erected in the year 532. An incredible structure full of fantastic Byzantine art...

Cyberquills
Oud Junkie

Mood: resonant

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 03:43 PM

What an exciting development! I missed Joseph on his last visit to Perth but MAN will I be making sure I don't let that happen again!!

Thanks for the story and pics Greg

CQ

ps - Can't wait to see and HEAR the film!!
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 08:39 PM

Thanks Jameel...y'slam temak....I was about to answer sammy's question....but I scrolled down and saw your entry.....

It is perhaps worth adding that contrary to popular belief...the building is not a mosque. Agia Sofia was transformed into a mosque when Constantinople fell to the Ottomans in 1453. Today the building is a museum.

And now to the oud :D. We finally have a long awaited product of Turkish craftsmanship and Arabic specifications. Quite a beautiful instrument...can't wait to hear it... Alf Mabrouk JT. Love the happy snaps ;)
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 11:51 PM

Now that's an oud! And seven courses.......nice round biblical number. It looks a little like the one that was/is on Master Turuns' website, the one we all lust after. This one looks even scarier up close. Great quality photos too. And it is the search for the perfect instrument; the one that plays easily, sounds fantastic, is well made and looks marvelous. I used to think that a perfect oud could replace just about everything and
anything............................I still think that. Let's see.....Paris Hilton ........................or
the seven course Arabic oud in the pictures above......? Uhhh......
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 6-22-2007 at 11:52 PM

The bridge reminds me of those split bridges developed by K Yairi the guiter maker (although with the opposite curve) that dissipates the string tension.

Leon
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-23-2007 at 12:07 AM

Yes.................the bridge. It's like the bridges on the Najarian Electric ouds and the one on Bilezekjian's Karibyan. Barcus Berry started that in the seventies and it's a great technology. Martin made a system that was a little different and then Highlander came out with a variation. It's like a classical guitar bridge with a bone or ivory saddle. And in the pictures you can see the pre-amp which may mean a battery somewhere. On the ArifSag Saz website you can see a similar preamp in the sides of a lot of his saz's. That bridge gives the accoustic oud a slightly different tone than with a regular bridge, slightly more guitar-like. I have an EBE accoustic oud with a similar bridge and it sounds great. Bilezekjian's Karibyan sounds fabulous with that bridge he has. It's definitely worth checking out. Great setup. And you can drown out an entire band, drummer and all with a single oud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 08:15 AM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the great comments. It is one hell of an instrument! Im very very very very very happy with it.
I performed last night at the Sydney Opera House with it and had a whole lot of fun, it gave me alot of inspiration.
The performance was recorded, so I will try and get some audio clips up from the performance to give you an idea of its beauty. The resonance and sound are very special. Infact many audience members commented on this. Im such a lucky guy!

I am really busy at the moment with recordings, concerts and am travelling all over the place, so will try and get some clips up when I get a spare moment...

All the best,

JT
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 03:02 AM

A top bloke deserves to have a top oud!

Hope to hear this new beauty on your next CD ;)
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 03:19 AM

Hi TJ,

you're such a lucky guy, congrats on this beautyfull instrument and what a match bro you are world class oudist and you deserve to have the best of ouds to inspire us more:bowdown:
play it in good health,
we can't wait for the recording
best regards,

Awad
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 03:44 AM

wooooooooow this oud is just great, didn't hear it, but looks so fine, smooth to play, and I just love the 7 courses stuff, kind of a way not to hesitate anymore all the time whether to choose the lower C string or the higher F string. Look forward to hear a nice taqasim with movements to the higher notes of the F string and bass from the lower C string..
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 05:03 AM

Hi Greg,

Sorry mate I just forgot to thank you for this great post and this beauifull oud,
best regards to you and JT,
thanks

Awad
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 07:59 AM

Thanks for the wishes guys.
Heres another photo of me playing the oud- Im not exactly Brad Pitt or an oud pin up boy just yet, but Im easily cropable out of the picture with some computer programs.:D

Sound file will come soon...

All the best,

JT
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top