Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: The start of a beautiful friendship
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 7-26-2007 at 10:27 PM

As I said elsewhere on the forums, I was lucky enough to spend a few hours with Joe and James Tawadros yesterday and I videotaped some great playing by these guys.
The recording was done using my ordinary inbuilt camcorder microhone and done in a very live old apartment room where the guys are staying while here for concerts.
So, after factoring in those things, here is how the new "JT" model sounds: (7.13 MB)
www.worldmusiccafe.info/files/J&J-Tawadros.wmv

Enjoy!

Greg
Cyberquills
Oud Junkie

Mood: resonant

[*] posted on 7-27-2007 at 03:53 AM

Great stuff. Inspiring.

CQ
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-27-2007 at 04:49 AM

Great video Greg. You don't need a better recording to tell how nice that oud sounds. It reminds me of a much older oud, no doubt. Faruk hit the spot on this one. Nice to JT up close too, and his little brother is like a machine on the riq.

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 7-27-2007 at 11:49 AM

hey greg
thx again man this was great stuff.
joe and james u guys rock together if yr looking for a 3rd brother i am willing to move down with you guys.;)
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 7-29-2007 at 09:35 PM

Thanks for the wonderful comments guys,
but as always James makes me look good and an amazing instrument always helps:)

All the best,

JT
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 04:06 PM

Greg,

Thanks for posting the Video -- the simple recording technique captured everything beautifully, the sound of the oud, the riq...wow.

James -- the interplay between Joe and yourself is amazing. I love your sound and approach, the oud sounds fantastic. Joe's playing is super, it's got to be an absolute blast working with him.

Cheers..PaulO
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 08:59 PM

Hey Paul,

James is pretty amazing, Im very blessed to have him. Its a blast working with him let me tell you.
He inspires me so much, alot of the sycopations are unbelievable and the variety of textures he can get out of that thing... well the video speaks for itself.

Thanks for your comments, but Im really nothing special mate, I'm still practicing.

All the best,

JT
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg
As I said elsewhere on the forums, I was lucky enough to spend a few hours with Joe and James Tawadros yesterday and I videotaped some great playing by these guys.
The recording was done using my ordinary inbuilt camcorder microhone and done in a very live old apartment room where the guys are staying while here for concerts.
So, after factoring in those things, here is how the new "JT" model sounds: (7.13 MB)
www.worldmusiccafe.info/files/J&J-Tawadros.wmv

Enjoy!

Greg

It is also on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7etDp94r10

Enjoy!

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 02:53 AM

Hey Guys,

I thought you might like this short clip. Its an intro imporvisation to one of my pieces called "A Dream". Its from a live performance of my trio at the Sydney Opera House last month.
It features my brother James on Bendir and myself playing the JT Signature oud built by Oustaz Faruk Turunz.

All the best,

JT
http://www.worldmusiccafe.info/files/J&JTawadrosSydneyLive.mp3
Cyberquills
Oud Junkie

Mood: resonant

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 05:45 PM

Go Joe! :applause:

Very good.

CQ
damascene_oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Obssessed by oud

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 04:23 AM

Dear JT,
Honestly it is a masterpiece of Turkish craftsmanship producing an unparalleled quality of sound indeed. The making of the oud is surely done with perfection.
BUT, what's the use of such a great instrument if not being played on by somebody like you. The least i can say about your playing; and this is what i'd like to concentrate on; was and is to me like a window that moves me to a different time where and when Arabic music was played in the courts of Abbassyds in Baghdad, or Omayyads in Damascus, in such a great perfection originated in nature from Sahara, and loaded with the scent of spices and incense spreading its heavenly scents in the air of the old bazaars of Damascus. The most important part in your playing is, the magnitude of the amount of emotions and sheer feelings therein. I felt that it's not the quil [risha] that was striking on the strings, but a sweet, harmonious and genuine heart beats producing fine Arabic heavenly hymns coming from the very heart of Arabia to echo around in the courts of Omayyads and Abbassyds, enchanting its hearers making them submerge in a spiritual world of suplications and prayers.
In short, infinite "ah's" to your play.
Keep it up, with all my cordial wishes for a briliant future.
And please post more excerpts of your playing :bowdown:
I.B
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 05:04 AM

I.B aka damascene_oud

That is one of the nicest things someone has ever written about me. I really thank you from the bottom of heart for such comments. I am very happy to hear that you like my playing, this really means alot. This is also testament of how nice and kind hearted person you are.

As for my playing, I dont think Im anything special mate. Just listen to Sunbati, Qassabji and Farid and you will realise how this. These are real masters who have given the oud so much. I can only do what I can and do my best because I love the music and tradition. I passionately love the oud(as we all do) and constantly try and compose new repertoire for it, but am humbled when I listen to the taqasims of these great masters, they are true pioneers.

I guess Im trying to do my bit for the oud community and try and make a difference and if I get comments like yours, it really does make me feel like I am.

I will try and put on more tracks shortly.
Thanking you again for your kindness, encouragement and love.

All the best,

JT
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 8-16-2007 at 01:06 PM

Hi Joe

Your playing is beautiful my friend, I think you have a very special and wonderful talent - wether this is comparable to your heroes in your ears cannot chaqnge that.

All my best wishes

Leon
damascene_oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Obssessed by oud

[*] posted on 8-18-2007 at 10:40 AM

Dear Joseph,
Whatever i said in my previous entry was fully meant, and i assure you that i wasn't exaggerating at all; at least this is how i felt; but to others they might have other opinions.
I fully understand the facts that those artists: Sunbati, Qassabji, Farid and others are masters in oud playing.
But let me tell you this, for me i tend to categorize each of them in his own category of players that he surpassed others grouping within the same category.
Farid for example: was of the old Syrian traditional school in oud playing and he was the master in that area.
Qassabji: He had an unprecedented style that nobody after him could immitate. His technique to me is surely surpassing Farid's and Sunbati's without question. If you listen to some of his special and privates recordings you will realize that fact, that his style is exceptional and unimmitatable.
Sunbati: An artist full of emotions, feelings, sensations and sensitivity. This what made him Oum Kolsoum's favorite composer. His playing style is based on his knowledge of the instrument added to those i previously mantioned, therefore he came out with a style that is very simple, yet nobody could ever resist falling in love with.
To me, and when i feel a need for something to let free of some trapped emotions within me, or some music that can free my soul from its straints, i always resort to Sunbati's "Ashwaq" or other taqassims for some relaxation and maybe meditation. To be honest with you i always wish i could refine my style to become like Sunbati's, but well i guess i have a long way to go to achieve that.
so my friend, believe me the bottom line and the most important thing when it comes to playing on "OUD" is simply the gift that you enjoy, i.e: emotions, passion and feelings. I have heard many oud players that sweeped my mind in their style when it comes to speed and mastery of the instrument, but they falied big time to manage to extract one single "aahh" from me, though i was impressed with their style.
A friend of mine dear Joseph never categorize himself as oud player, but when i hear him caressing his oud's strings i feel that time has changed and i am there in another world, full of emotions, sensations and serenity, and he is very wicked that he manages to make everyone say lots of "aah's"
To give you an exmple my dear friend, here is a link for a video for a taqasim by a young Turkish oud player that i like to watch regularly.
I listened to many Turkish oud players and was wowed by how effecient they are in mastering each and every aspect of the instrument, but this young guy is so special, he touches the bottom of your heart with a playing loaded with feelings and emotions, and this is what makes him special.
In short my dear friend it's always about emotions and feelings that maked a player special not only technique and mastery, it's the talent itself. And as far as i can see, you have those for sure.
So keep up the good work.
With my best wishes for you. :applause:
Izzat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QMq6Q36FAU
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8-18-2007 at 06:14 PM

Dear Izzat,

I thank you so much for your kindness and am flattered you enjoy my playing so much.

Take care and keep 'ouding',

JT
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8-18-2007 at 06:21 PM

Btw,

There are more video clips on http://www.josephtawadros.com on the listen page if your interested. All the best.

JT
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 04:39 AM

Hey Guys,

I thought you guys might like the extended version of an earlier video of me playing the JT Signature model oud with my brother James, the piece is called Forbidden Fruit.

Its 8 minutess instead of the earlier 4 minutes that was posted. The clip can be found here:

http://www.worldmusiccafe.info/files/ForbiddenFruit.wmv

I hope you like...

JT
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top