Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Egyptcart (eBay)
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 07:58 AM
Egyptcart (eBay)

Has anyone ever dealt with Egyptcart on eBay? Is it like Nileshop?

I may be interested in THIS Ghawaret el fan oud...

Any comments?

thanks!
Andi
cjmichael
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 08:04 AM

Just by observation, it seems to me like Nileshop, Egyptcart, and Sphinxshop are all the same. I may be wrong.
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 08:15 AM

You could be very right, I was beginning to think the same thing...
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 12:48 PM

yes, I think they must be branches of the same business, for I was enquiring into prices of an item from the Nile Shop and Sphinx shop and both replies came from a guy with the same name. I have purchased a 30mm soft oud case from the Sphinx Shop, and had excellent service on this purchase, via ebay. It was shipped to me in a few days, and the quality of this oud gig bag is excellent, 30mm thick padding and tough rain-proof exterior, supposed to be a top quality oud 'gig bag' in Egypt. just the thing if I want to walk somewhere not too far or jump on my bike and be able to put the oud in a good strong soft case that can go over my shoulder. Now I know some of you wouldn't jump on your bike with your oud in a gig bag, but it's not that bad! Regarding the ouds they sell, perhaps other members can comment on this, all I would suggest my friend is that if you do purchase one make sure you ask they pack it very safely for the shipping.
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 07:57 PM

for that price sounds like you can get a shehata directly. im pretty sure they are better quality than gawharet el fans. talk to mike, leader of the forum, and see what information he has on this.
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 06:57 AM

Yeah, I might do that! thanks... I didn't know you could get a Shehata for that kind of money - at Egyptcart the Shehata's start at $700.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard rumours of placing a custom order with Maurice Shehata, and he will make an oud to your liking (and your wallet)? Is this true?
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 10:20 PM

well i would ask mike but i think he makes some models in your range. i dont know much about shehata except for what everyone on the forum says about him. i do have a gawharet el fan oud. its a good learner but now i have a samir azar oud and that one is much more enjoyable to play with.

speaking of which samr azar ouds are in your budget including the shipping if you are interested. it would be better off than this oud. as for shehata it just seems logical to me that if you are gong to spend this much on an oud you might as well spend a couple hunded dollars more for quality and piece of mind. you really can't penny pinch when you shooting for a certain price. im not saying go way into the thousands but if you find something better for a hundred or two more i wouldnt question the money.

p.s. i just noticed u dont live in the u.s., for give me for being ignorant because i know the ability to earn money varies in different countries and areas, so please forgive me if i am sounding like a fat capitalist lol.
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-26-2007 at 02:23 AM

Quote:

p.s. i just noticed u dont live in the u.s., for give me for being ignorant because i know the ability to earn money varies in different countries and areas, so please forgive me if i am sounding like a fat capitalist lol.

:D :)) That's OK, I live in The Netherlands mostly, we're as fat as capitalists can get!! :bounce::bounce: It's just that the taxes are so darned high.

Anyway, what I think you're saying is - if I can't afford a Shehata (yet), I ought to look at some Samir Azar models? Right?
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 03:40 AM

I think I figured it out... Mike recommended me the Gawharet el Fan ouds that are made by mr. Mourad al-Turky, and the one I was thinking about is indeed made by him. So I might go along the Gawharet route after all. Thanks everyone for the input! Much appreciated!

I'll post some pics/sound clips when I get the oud, if anyone's interested...
azzizza
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 09:17 AM
shehata custom

see my earlier post regarding my shehata/egypt cart ordeal...all worth it in the end
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 11:16 AM

Arsene, it would be nice to hear some sound clips of the Ghawaret el Fan oud if you do purchase one, I've been curious about the sound of these ouds myself.
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 01:54 AM

Alas, I backed out on the Gawharet deal, and thought, what is life without risks? So I bought a Syrian-made Iraqi-style oud (7 courses, Iraqi scale etc) from a guy in saudi arabia. let's hope it arrives in one piece... Let's hope it arrives AT ALL.

It's supposedly made by "Mohamed Kalefa" in January of this year. I have never heard of this luthier (I guess he's not related to Marcel or Ali Khalifa?) , but from the pics and a sound clip I got the oud looked and sounded very nice.

I'll post sound clips of that one, as a consolation.

See some pics of the oud here:

1. Front view

2. Side view
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 05:30 AM

from looking inside the label it looks like your friend in SA might have read mohamed instead of mouafak khalifeh.
It looks like the picture of Ali Khalifeh on the left hand side.
its a somewhat famous label and easy to recognize.
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 08:03 AM

well there is a mohhamed khalifeh. i dont anything about him but one day i was bs'ing with my teacher and i asked him what are good ouds and he mentioned mohamed khalifeh is one and i said who, muafak and he said no mohammed. so it might be different.
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-29-2007 at 09:51 AM

I heard also from a friend who was in Damascus that there is also a maker called Zaher Khalifeh and he's the nephew of Ali Khalifeh
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 02:55 AM

Lots and lots of Khalifeh's then...

When I get the oud I'll post a detailled pic of the label for you guys.!

Go To Top