Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: history question
bluesyOud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oudy

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 04:18 AM
history question

hi guys I'm searching information about the history of the makams.some of you help a lot my research with their websites.I really like to know the name's "saba", "segah",or even "taqsim"(etc.) histories.If you know something please post.:bowdown:
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 04:29 AM

Hi

I think its Maqam SEGAH or SIKAH (not segax) :)

Regards
bluesyOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 04:38 AM

Zulkarnain thanks man!!!I 've corrected it!!!:)):))
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 05:03 AM

Hi bluesyOud

As far as I know, Saba is an Arabic word describing a type of wind which occurs in the morning - I guess this reflects the 'sad' sound of the maqam.

Maqam Segah is named after the note on which it is based, i.e. segah or E half-flat, which is the third note of the Arab musical scale. The word 'Segah' (or seh-gah) itself comes from the Persian for 'third' (seh) and 'place/position' (gah) - this reflects the Persian origin of much of Arab music. In fact, the seven notes of the scale used to all be named after the Persian numerals: Yakgah, Dugah, Segah, Jahargah, Panjgah, Shashgah, Haftgah (meaning 'first position', 'second position' etc.) However, Yakgah (or Yegah) was later replaced by Rast - although it is preserved in the name of the (now) rare Maqam Yegah. Panjgah has become Nawa, Shashgah has become Huseyni and Haftgah has become Awj (or Iraq).

The word 'taqsim' seems to come from the Arabic root q-s-m (e.g. verb qasama - to divide or split), so that the noun taQSiM means 'division' or 'splitting'. Not 100% sure about this though, so it would be good to hear the opinion of a native Arabic speaker.

Hope this is some help.

David
bluesyOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 05:07 AM

David Parfitt thanks!!!!:D
:D:D:D
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 05:49 AM

The word taksim or taqsim is also often attributed by Arabs to the Greek word taksi (TA-ksi), which means 'order'. During the early Golden Age of the Islamic period, I believe it was popular to name things using ancient Greek words, since at that time many works were being translated in various areas of study.

take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 06:09 AM

Hi Mav

I just checked my Arabic dictionary and found there is another Arabic root k-s-m (verb 'kasama' - to shape, give form to). The corresponding noun is 'taksim', meaning 'forming, shaping'. The difference therefore is that the word 'taqsim' uses the Arabic letter 'qaaf' (q) whereas 'taksim' uses the letter 'kaaf' (k).

The definition of 'taksim' seems closer to the actual musical meaning than that of 'taqsim', so I don't really understand why Arabs use the latter. Maybe there was a mix-up some time in the past? (I vaguely remember some examples of Arabs mixing up the two forms of 'h' or 's' in certain words).

The Greek origin sounds really interesting. The only problem is that Arabic nouns such as 'taksim', 'tartib', 'tanwin' are formed in a standard way from the three-letter verbal root such as k-s-m etc. (i.e. using the template 'ta_ _ i _'). I suppose there could have been some reverse engineering, so that 'taksim' was absorbed from the Greek 'taksi' FIRST, and then a verbal root was created afterwards?? (Or maybe Greek words are formed from a root in the same way?) The plot thickens!

Best wishes

David
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 06:25 AM

Hi guys

Help!!!..I lost!!:D
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 06:43 AM

Hi Zul

Can I ask why your mood is 'lamb cutlet'? Is this a rare maqam that I have never heard of before? ;)

Best wishes

David
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 07:04 AM

Hi

Dave...dont bother about the mood hehehe :D Im always hungry...and thats currently my fav meal-if u in Central London dont forget to check oud HALAL food restaurant in Edgware Rd. (they serve the best Arabic Lamb Cutlet)

Enjoy!
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 08:55 AM

regarding the origin of "taqsim": I've been told by several native speakers that it does mean "division", and it got this name because a taqsim would always be in between the various sections of a suite in traditional performances.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 10:25 AM

This is a cool discussion. Dave, I think your explanation makes the most sense. Interestingly I've seen the Greek root explanation in two Arabic CD covers, and several books. But it's no surprise that there are multiple possibilities mentioned b/c so many sources, whether books or people, rarely agree.

Thanks for explaining all this stuff!

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
bluesyOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 01:52 PM

Thanks guys for the information!!!
I want more
I want more:bounce::bounce::D:D:D
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 03:30 PM

Dear friend,
a friend of mine told me once that saba in Turkish means morning....If that helped you than I am glad
Regards

bluesyOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 04:01 PM

thanks spyros any information is useful!!!
:wavey::D
bluesyOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 04:51 PM

well I found something interesting about saba.

biblical Sheba kingdom in pre-Islamic southwestern Arabia, frequently mentioned in the Bible (notably in the story of King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba) and variously cited by ancient Assyrian, Greek, and Roman writers from about the 8th century BC to about the 5th century AD. Its capital, at least in the middle period, was Ma'rib (q.v.), which lies 75 miles (120 km) east of present-day San'a', in Yemen.

so does saba has something to do with sheba the godess?

David Parfitt,I also found tha you are right
about the pleasant morning wind.

I'm starting to believe that Sheba,saba(makam)and the wind are connected.

If someone finds something please post.

http://www.britannica.com:wavey:
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 01:34 AM

Dear bluesyOud

As far as I know, the Turkish word 'sabah' for morning comes from the Arabic word 'sabah' (a lot of Turkish words derive from Arabic). However, I don't think this has any relation to the word 'saba' for the east wind (and the maqam).

The reason I say this is that 'sabah' (morning) has the root s-b-h, whereas 'saba' has the completely different root s-b-w (with the associated verb 'saba', meaning 'to rejuvenate'). Therefore, I think the stress is on the rejuvenating effects of the 'saba' wind rather than the fact that it may occur in the morning!

Regarding the Queen of Sheba, I don't think there is any connection at all. Sheba (also known as Saba, home of the Sabaeans) was an ancient kingdom in SW Arabia (now Yemen). This name 'Saba' came via the Greek 'Saba' (probably in Biblical times), which in turn came from the Arabic 'Saba` ' or Hebrew 'Shebaa' (which is closer to the alternative name 'Sheba'). The Arabic root of this word 'Saba` ' is s-b-hamza, which is again completely different to that of the 'saba' wind.

Hope this all makes sense.

David
bluesyOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 12:32 PM

Dear Dave,
In greece we call "saba" us "sabah".
So maybe this made me believe that the
wind was named after Sheba and the
makam was named after the wind in
order to link the emotion that a pleasant morning wind represends with the character of the specific makam.
Ofcourse all these are just thoughts!!!
I'm still searching!!!!!:D:wavey:
BeOudiful
Oud Admirer

Mood: black bile/bamm

[*] posted on 3-15-2004 at 03:48 AM
winds

hi yuall,
on the way back from Taksim early a.m. the other day, the morning adhan, ie call to prayer, was yet again in the mode Saba.
Saba is, i think, the morning wind that comes in around the fajr/subh prayer. Early arabic alchemical treatises on the winds would classify them according to their primary qualties (hot, cold, dry, moist) and by quarter/directions they came from. This would make it easier for them to be associated with the maqamat, as the maqamat are also attributed with these temporal and temperamental qualities.
some say the maqamat system found its earliest theory developing from the calls to prayer and different tajweed/quran recitation modes etc, but at the same time all the syriac and greek treatises on the sciences incl. music were being translated, so something like that. more later ** :bowdown:
bluesyOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-15-2004 at 09:06 AM

Beaoudiful I'm waiting for new things!!!

:bowdown:

Go To Top