Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Targan's Abdo Nahat--better pic of this incredible oud...
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 06:25 PM
Targan's Abdo Nahat--better pic of this incredible oud...

I'm still trying to find some detailed pictures of this oud. Believe it or not the best one I've come across (below) I scanned from a children's book my 4-year old nephew checked out from the library!

I've seen other pictures of this oud before, but with this one some interesting details have emerged.

First off, this oud shares some of the very same design elements as the 1917 Abdo owned by the late Hamza El Din (still trying to figure out what happened to that one, but that's separate thread).

The inlays on face are all made of the same light-colored geometric inlays that are on Hamza's oud.

The shamsa and qamriyya appear to be identical. They are at least the same design. We can't see whether the shams is of the same quality as Hamza's, but given the quality and design of the rest of the face, we can presume it is of the same level. This shans design is also found on other Nahats, but not as refined as the one on Hamza's.

The fingerboard is unlike any Nahat design I've seen. We can't decifer the pattern here, but I'm mostly referring to the area commonly called the "beard". It's a unique angled design.

The inlays flanking the pickguard (raqma) are very unique and beautiful, combining both geometric inlay and a curvy leaf-like design.

The pegs appear to have the same shape and inlay as the Hamza Abdo Nahat, just in reverse (ebony with white- bone/ivory? inlay)

The back of the pegbox is inlaid with a light colored design, maybe more of the geometric pattern? Hard to see....

I'm guessing that the bowl of this oud is elaborately inlaid, perhaps to the same level as Hamza's oud. Given the quality and uniqueness of the Hamza oud inlay, I can only imagine what this looks like. What a treat it would be just to see it.

This oud is displayed in the Rumi museum in Konya Turkey. I know at least one forum member has attempted to view this oud, but the museum was closed!

If anyone has better pics of this oud, please share them...

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 10:36 AM

Thanks to my friend Adel Salameh for sending me the following photo. I was right! The back of this oud is just as incredible as Hamza's! Abdo Nahat was the pinnacle of oud makers. Who knows how many he built at this level? Simply incredible work....

Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 11:58 AM

What a spetacular oud. Some oud makers really need to visit some collections and collect data just like
many of the professional lute makers does!

Best wishes

Ronny
oudman

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 12:31 PM

You know, I think some of the luthiers we talk about on this site can actually produce an oud that looks like this (sounding like a Nahat is another story)
A project like that would take quite some time, and tons of skill - would the price they get for the oud be worth it?
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 08:52 PM

Off course it is possible to build exact copies or similiar ouds, just see what lute makers like Barber, Edwards, Wagner can do. Nothing inferior any historical oud maker.

Quote:
Originally posted by oudman
You know, I think some of the luthiers we talk about on this site can actually produce an oud that looks like this (sounding like a Nahat is another story)
A project like that would take quite some time, and tons of skill - would the price they get for the oud be worth it?

Best wishes

Ronny
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 06:52 PM

Unbelievable oud!!! Spectacular decoration and beauty. I wonder if there are any recordings with it?

Note the bam telli under the most treble course, rather than up above the fifth course like most of us are used to today. I think every single picture of Udi Yorgos Batzanos (Bacanos) I've seen, his ouds are strung like this, and most of the old Greek ouds I've seen had their bridge and nut set up for that.

Thanks so much for sharing these Jameel!

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 06:55 PM

you can tell there was some serious playing up that fingerboard! the wood is discolored from it.

Nice picture Jameel. What a oud.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 07:13 AM
new picture

here is a new picture of this beuty.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 10:55 AM

What a beauty Samir. Nice shot. Where did you find this one?

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-2-2007 at 10:59 AM

wikipedia suprisingly.
someone must have visited the museum...
the only problem now is that on wikipedia it says its a turkish oud.
its wrong.. obviously its a Nahat
but of course belonged to a turkish player.
I dont know how to tell them to fix it.
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 10-3-2007 at 02:35 AM

what an awesome oud guys and what a find Samir,
the labe next to the oud says the (This ud is worked in ivory and mother of pearl the medallion is engraved with Turkish musical keys, the ud is the property of the late Serif Muhidden Targan descended from the prophet Mohammed was presented to the (can't make out the name) museum by his widow mrs Safiyo Ayla.

from my little expereince (aquirred on this very forum), I can tell its a Naht and as the shams reads Abdo Nahat's name, jus probably some one mis translated the info.

the oud is a gem Jameel, it would be great to see you starting a project on this one in the near future;)
what an awesome oud guys and what a find Samir,
the labe next to the oud says the (This ud is worked in ivory and mother of pearl the medallion is engraved with Turkish musical keys, the ud is the property of the late Serif Muhidden Targan descended from the prophet Mohammed was presented to the (can't make out the name) museum by his widow mrs Safiyo Ayla.

from my little expereince (aquirred on this very forum), I can tell its a Naht and as the shams reads Abdo Nahat's name, jus probably some one mis translated the info.

the oud is a gem Jameel, it would be great to see you starting a project on this one in the near future

Samir I will contact the wikipedia and try and correct this historical details, thanks again for fishing it out it a great picture of a 1st class oud,

rest in peace Abdo Nahat and Sharif Muhidden (Rahmato Allah Tagshahoum)

Awad
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 10-3-2007 at 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SamirCanada
wikipedia suprisingly.
someone must have visited the museum...
the only problem now is that on wikipedia it says its a turkish oud.
its wrong.. obviously its a Nahat
but of course belonged to a turkish player.
I dont know how to tell them to fix it.

Hi again Samir,

I have just updated the wikipedia, let me know if needs more details put in,

best regards

Awad
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-5-2007 at 10:50 PM

Thanks for the pictures. That whole ensemble is amazing. The Viola daAmor next to it is mindblowing. And I should not forget the knee rests on the kemence's. But the Nahat is the star. What an amazing instrument. Those inlays on the face inlaid into the spruce.....
there's no filler. I feel better now. Thanks again, D.L.

Go To Top