Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Jewish or Cristian songs with oud accompaniment.
wfspark
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud entranced!

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 06:35 AM
Jewish or Cristian songs with oud accompaniment.

Hello. Does anyone know of any jewish or christian songs with oud accompaniment? Can anyone send me some MP3s with the music? My e-mail is wfspark@yahoo.com. Thanks.

William F. Sparks
bluesyOud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oudy

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 07:31 AM

Greek traditioal songs often refes to
christianity and are accompanied by oud.Mostly these are songs from Greeks coming from Istanbul,Izmir e.t.c.
song like that are:
1.exe geia Panagia[(makam ouzal)Itanbul]
2.gel aman[(makam kartziar)Izmir]
3.san ta marmara tis polis[(makam mouxagier)Itanbul]
I found this informations from a Greek book for oud.I don't have mp3s yet as
soon as I have I'll try to send you(I own a 56 modem witch I hate).
these songs refer to christian subjects to their Lyrics.
:wavey:
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 07:38 AM

Hi William

Yair Dalal uses the oud to play some traditional Jewish music on his 'Samar' album.

Best wishes

David
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 07:43 AM

Hi

Dave..a quick one...do u know an Oud Hard Case builder who live near central London (Kingham Case C). He build a custom Hard Case made to fit to any kind of instrument. I use his Hard Case for one of my Bashir Oud (reccomend by Ahmad Mukhtar)

Thanks
bluesyOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 07:44 AM

You should search for
Haig Yazdjian an Armenian oudist living
in Greece.The man is amazing and sings
beautifully to!!!I'll probably go an watch
his gig on Saturday!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:bounce:
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 07:52 AM

Hi Zul

I have not heard of the oud case maker that you mentioned, but thanks for the information. Hopefully it will be useful in future.

Best wishes

David

P.S. bluesyOud, I agree that Haig Yazdjian is great. I saw him play once at the oud meeting in Thessaloniki - were you there? You also mention a Greek oud method - is this the 'Outi' book by Kyriakos? Do you know if he has written volume two?
bluesyOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 08:30 AM

yes it's Kyriakos book I'm talking about,
I 've been in touch with many music books especially for guitar.And this method very nicely and carefully written!!
I enjoy it a lot.I don't know if there is a vol. 2 book.
I wasn't in thessaloniki perhaps I'll be in the next oud meeting in Greece:D
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 08:41 AM

Try my website (below) for Greek Orthodox hymns in Arabic with violin and qanun accompaniment.

*In the the Greek Orthodox Church musical instruments are forbidden in church, but often outside of church we play the church hymns with our instruments. We end up always singing/playing church hymns when we play anyway. The folk songs of Greek Orthodox in Greece and Lebanon as well as for other Orthodox in the middle-east use virtually the same system of scales. For example, Plagal 2nd mode is the same scale as Maqam Hijaz. There is one notable book written by a 18th c. chanter of the Constantinopolitan church comparing the Byzantine modes with the maqamat. Byzantine chanters had a huge influence on the development of Ottoman court music, since they were often employed for their musical expertise by the Ottoman rulers.

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 08:51 AM

Hi David, I've heard that volume 2 of K. Kalaitzidis' is published and is available now in Greece. Unfortunately I don't believe they're used to shipping out of Greece.

I plan on getting a copy next time I'm in Greece.

Try contacting En Xordais.

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 10:41 AM

Dear friends,
Also try to find the book ,Romii sinthetes tis Smirnis Ke Tis Polis,
This is a book with many semais and sarkis from Greek composers that they have act on the Ottoman empire...from 15th to 17th centuri...
I have it and it is wonderfull book...
Also the ''Mayroeides Byzantine book''
You can see with details all the maqams [DROMI-means ways] and the Elements of the Byzantine musique
Regards to all
Spyros:wavey:

john (beloved) habib
Oud Junkie

Mood: love my new oud

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 01:22 PM

Hey William, hopefully soon I'll send you some MP3s of Christian songs with me accompanying with the oud, but I don't know if they're things you'll like... they're Coptic Orthodox Christian hymns and Arabic songs (many of which are translated in English)... let me know if you're still interested . . .
bluesyOud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by john (beloved) habib
Hey William, hopefully soon I'll send you some MP3s of Christian songs with me accompanying with the oud, but I don't know if they're things you'll like... they're Coptic Orthodox Christian hymns and Arabic songs (many of which are translated in English)... let me know if you're still interested . . .

I'm interested!!!! mitsoulis81@freemail.gr
but the e-mail doesn't have much space!!!
:))
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 01:41 PM
john (beloved) habib

Hi there

I'd like to share some coptic hymns and songs with you guys better if it is via e-mail ... what is yours? mine is cncbrog@optusnet.com.au

Peace

Emad from sydney
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spyros mesogeia
Dear friends,
Also try to find the book ,Romii sinthetes tis Smirnis Ke Tis Polis,
This is a book with many semais and sarkis from Greek composers that they have act on the Ottoman empire...from 15th to 17th centuri...
I have it and it is wonderfull book...
Also the ''Mayroeides Byzantine book''
You can see with details all the maqams [DROMI-means ways] and the Elements of the Byzantine musique
Regards to all
Spyros:wavey:

Hi Spyros,

''Mayroeides Byzantine book?? Sounds interesting.

spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 03:22 PM

Dear friend Jameel,
yes this one,has all the maqams,arab and turkish,and compares with the ''dromous'' of the byzantine music and the tetrachords and the pentachords on the makams,ofcourse you personally know that the Byzantine music is much much more dificult,you are ''psaltis''....
Regards and respect my friend:wavey:

Sasha
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 10:09 PM
Christmas music

My friend and teacher, Naser Musa (based in LA) released a CD of Christmas music.

He doesn't have it listed on his website, but his contact info is listed there - very nice CD.

http://www.nasermusa.com/

Sasha
bahleh13
Oud Maniac

Mood: Majnoun el Oud

thumbup.gif posted on 3-11-2004 at 03:27 AM
Interesting topic

Wonder how we got to discuss this topic here. I love it.

Jameel u r right about the Tone thing, the plegic 2nd tone (in Greek Hxos tou plegiou deuterou, spellig may be wrong, meaning the brother of the 2nd tone) is also called sixth tone, and represents the hijaz variant Shahnaz (D Eb F# G A Bb C# D), whereas the 2nd tone is huzam (sikah variant), the differences is that the latter is on the mild chromatic scale (as it is called) while the sixth tone is on the harsh chromatic scale.

Spyros I hope u can offer help, do u know any website with Greek Byzantine Church Music scores? Not that I can understand Greek, I can only pronounce, so u'll have to try if u can find anything to explain with as much details as possible, I'm not sure if my browser can translate Greek. Music scores of course are "Eastern" i.e. different than western sheetmusic, with Byzantine notes (the font I have is called Psaltica, but I cant remember if it is the true name). Much thankful for any help, no matter how small it is. if anyone else can help as well I'd be much grateful. Peace y'all.

Yours truly,
Basel :D
wfspark
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud entranced!

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 06:16 AM
Oud songs.

Quote:
Originally posted by john (beloved) habib
Hello John. Yess, I'm verry much interested in the coptic hemns. Any music I can get to praise his name is great! This is especially true if you plan on doing traditional biblical music which the oud played a big part of. Thanks!

William F. Sparks
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 01:01 PM

Dear friend Basel,
I am not that good on the internet sources,but If you like I can't send to you some books,and you can send me theyr value,but you see is very dificult because,as far as I know they are not in english,and to learn the Byzantine music it takes a long long time,is very beautifull but also and very dificult and I can tell you for sure that you really need a very good teacher to learn it....My best friend and Kanun player [we play together on the ensemble] has a Diploma on Byzantine Music,but I need to share very much time to learn and I don't really have it right now,but believe me ,I really really want to learn...
Jameel my greetings
Regards to all
Spyros

bahleh13
Oud Maniac

light.gif posted on 3-11-2004 at 01:26 PM
Spyros

Man, you are so great, and kind-hearted. The fact is, I asked you about sheet music, you shouldnt be worrying about lessons or anything, I have a diploma myself in Byzantine Church Music :D This actually where half of my knowledge in maqams and eastern music came from. The thing is I am interested in Greek Liturgic pieces and music, and here in Latvia, I couldnt bring my books or the copies provided by my tutor. I have a special predilection for Xatziathanasiou and Pringou. Of course the more I know the better (for me). I might ask you then to just check for the time being different books, give me a brief description along with prices. I have to also regulate my budget + get a new Oud. Thanx a bundle Spyros. Peace :D

Yours truly,
Basel :D

P.S. I found a site with some pieces saved as bitmap pics, they should suffice my "need" for some time so u can take ur time man :)
bahleh13
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 01:30 PM
P.S.

Man if you want I can give some notes for you in church music, I just need some time to accumulate them from my memory, and type them out in English, a little difficult task coz I can't remember all the names of symbols and what i remember, I can't translate them all to english, coz I dunno how they really sound. If you want, I'll try to get something cooked my friend Spyros. Take care
maran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 04:18 PM

what is "traditional biblical music" and how do we know the oud played a part in promoting it?

Quote:
Originally posted by wfspark
Hello John. Yess, I'm verry much interested in the coptic hemns. Any music I can get to praise his name is great! This is especially true if you plan on doing traditional biblical music which the oud played a big part of. Thanks!

William F. Sparks
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 07:39 PM
"Traditional Biblical Music"

Hi Maran :wavey:

Quote:
Originally posted by maran
what is "traditional biblical music" and how do we know the oud played a part in promoting it?

I'd really like to answer your question but it would help if you tell us some about your background. However, for a start I can tell you that the oud has been used for traditional Biblical/religious hymns way before the Pharaohs. Basel, John, and TP21 correct me if I am wrong.

Also tell us if you use a Bible. We can direct you to where the oud is mentioned.

Peace mate,

Emad from Sydney
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-15-2004 at 10:36 AM

Well, it doesn't have oud, but Fairuz recorded an album of Christian sacred music. It's called "Good Friday Sacred Songs." It's a beautiful recording.

Also, Emad, I have a Bible--I'd like to know where the oud is mentioned . . .
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-15-2004 at 12:37 PM
Hello Brian

:wavey:

it's always good to hear from you mate, of course oud is a new name but it used to be Lute which what the oud was taken from "do you agree on that?" As far as the lute here are some verses:

Search Results (The New King James Version)

Ps 57:8 Awake, my glory! Awake, lute and harp! I will awaken the dawn.

Ps 71:22 Also with the lute I will praise you-- And Your faithfulness, O my God! To You I will sing with the harp, O Holy One of Israel.

Ps 81:2 Raise a song and strike the timbrel, The pleasant harp with the lute.

Ps 92:3 On an instrument of ten strings, On the lute, And on the harp, With harmonious sound.

Ps 108:2 Awake, lute and harp! I will awaken the dawn.

Ps 150:3 Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet; Praise Him with the lute and harp!

Also please read http://www.albany.net/~dowland/lute.html

http://www.vanedwards.co.uk/history1.htm

Also there was "Lyre" which is simillar to the Bouzouki today - read this link please
http://internet.ana.gr/hermes/1999/julaug/folk.htm

There are also very old pharouhs temples where we could see a very close paintings of the oud on the wall.

Peace mate

Emad from Sydney

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top