Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tuning problem with bass strings
nasers
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 10:19 AM
Tuning problem with bass strings

Does anyone know what causes bass strings to "jump" during tuning? By "jump", I don't mean any slipping on the peg but it seems to be on the nut or something, so the effect is something like this: you keep tightening the peg slowly but the string tension doesn't change but then it suddenly jumps to a higher tension than desired. You then reverse the process to lower the tension but nothing happes for a while until the string jums to a tension lower than desired. Sometimes, I can spend minutes turning the peg back and forth but the string just doesn't seem to want to stay where you want it to. Any ideas?
amtaha
Oud Junkie

Mood: beginner's frustration ...

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 10:28 AM

There could be high friction at the nut. Try making it smoother.

A better solution would be to replace the wooden nut with a bone one, but whoever (you, luthier) makes the nut needs to be careful about the measurements. (You can search the forum)

More minor stuff could do with the strings being a bit old (or rusty) and the winding is getting loose around the nut.

How the strings are wound in the pegbox (overlap, etc.) may sometimes mess things up. My understanding is that a string should not impede other strings.

Good luck.

Hamid
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 10:46 AM

jumping is usually caused by the string passing over a sharp edge in the groove cut in the top nut. The grooves need to be smooth, slightly larger than each string with both ends rounded to allow the string to slide without catching.

nasers
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 12:53 PM

Thanks guys for these great tips. They make so much sense.

Naser
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-4-2007 at 01:51 PM

No doubt you are using wire wound basses (not smooth gut) which can make the problem more critical because of the ridges in the surface of the string.
A publication that deals with maintenance of lutes and other early stringed instruments - but is also just as relevant to the oud - can be downloaded from Northern Renaissance Instruments at :
http://www.nrinstruments.demon.co.uk/InstMain.html It includes information on how to set up the nut.
Good luck - it can take a bit of time and care to achieve perfection!
John
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-7-2007 at 12:02 AM

I hate it when that happens!! With guitar nuts you use graphite in the slot but with an oud you can get gray fingerprints all over the unfinished top and it looks awful. Even on bone nuts the problem you mentioned can happen. One luthier I know uses powdered teflon and works it into the bone with the shaft of a large sewing needle. The oud I have that has had this done tunes so smoothly that it feels like geared tuners; no chirping and no unexpected pitch changes. You can get powdered teflon at an auto supply store. I think you can also find white graphite...............................maybe not.
nasers
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-10-2007 at 09:40 AM

Thanks again everyone. Sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem. I tried very carefully to widen the grooves with a nail file but it didn't help much (or maybe I am afraid to work it too hard!). John is right that it can take some time to achieve good results. In any case, not being experienced in oud repairs, I'd rather try the less intrusive methods suggested here like the powdered teflon first.
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 7-10-2007 at 10:35 PM

Hi Free,

I'm going to try the powerderd teflon idea next time I change strings...thanks.

paulO

Go To Top