Printable Version  
Author: Subject: hanging ouds
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 7-7-2007 at 07:31 PM
hanging ouds

Hey guys

I was just thinking ,how do you hang up yr ouds ??? like design or soemhting like shelf or how bc i wanna hang my ouds up bc there in my room on a extra bed and i keep having to take them off and on and its get damaged and anoying os please help me out . and also if u havea design for me that would be great bc my dad and i will make it
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
pauldata
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-7-2007 at 08:22 PM

I was thinking to hang my oud on the wall, but not sure what is the safest way to do it. I often hang guitars using a strip of leather lace, but I'm not sure where to attach it to the oud's pegbox... Any tips or photos???
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-8-2007 at 02:02 AM

I tie a piece of cotton twine to the two pegs nearest the nut, one end to each peg and hang it on the wall with the face of the instrument to the wall when I hang them up. But it is always best to keep them in hard cases or wooden boxes because they are so delicate. When they are hung up it also means that they can fall. With children in the house all it takes is one tennis ball.
damascene_oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Obssessed by oud

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 03:36 AM

I agree with Lintfree. I used to see my grandfather doing so. In old times there was nothing called leather bags of hard cases, they used to put the Oud in a big white bag made of hard and thick linen, tie it around the oud's handle and then hang it on the wall by a cotton twine tied to pegs nearest to the nut facing teh wall. And no child would ever even think of coming closer to the instrument, actually for me i was allowed into the room only with the presence of my grandfather, and kids toys or balls were certainly out of the question into that sanctuary.
Once i asked my grandfather why he keeps his ouds hanged like this, he said oud is made of wood, and wood breathe, so the quality of the sound improves as much as the oud is breathing air, but being kept in a white thick linen bags keeps them away from moisture and humidity.
I don't know if that was true or not, but what i know is that my grandfathers ouds lasted till today with unparalleled mind blowing kind of sound, and in perfect shape.
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 04:24 AM

Hi Folks,

Well, for the last four years I hanged my ouds with shoe laces doubled and stapled to an old sofa bed frame "very beautifull hardwood frame, I was reluctant to throw away", I wrap the laces around the back of the pegbox supported by the lower pegs.
It added a decorative corner to my living room:D
I'm trying to attach a picture:(
Cheers,
Awad
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 04:59 AM

Here is how lute players in early 16th C Italy did it. The engraving from the lute book of G.A. Casteliono published in Milan 1536 shows two lutes hanging against a wall suspended from a rack fitted with an array of double pins that are presumably arranged to support a lute from its pegs. The lute case leaning against the corner of the room is likely empty?
I never store my lutes (or other stringed instruments) in their cases - which are used only for transportation - believing that it is best to leave the instruments exposed to the air. I just leave my lutes lying around in my library locked and inaccessible to children or pets - particularly budding soccer players!
Leaving instruments on a bed is asking for trouble!!
peppeo77
Oud Junkie

Mood: easy like ever

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 05:41 AM

A teacher of mine, who plays the viola da gamba, has a good method to hang his instruments. He uses a stick, the same kind we use in Italy to hang curtains, with many hooks hanged on it. Then he uses a lace on the pegboxes and hang them on the stick. He swore me no instrument fell off...it's very nice to see it anyway.
Good luck Sammy!
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by damascene_oud
I agree with Lintfree. I used to see my grandfather doing so. In old times there was nothing called leather bags of hard cases, they used to put the Oud in a big white bag made of hard and thick linen, tie it around the oud's handle and then hang it on the wall by a cotton twine tied to pegs nearest to the nut facing teh wall.
Once i asked my grandfather why he keeps his ouds hanged like this, he said oud is made of wood, and wood breathe, so the quality of the sound improves as much as the oud is breathing air, but being kept in a white thick linen bags keeps them away from moisture and humidity.
I don't know if that was true or not, but what i know is that my grandfathers ouds lasted till today with unparalleled mind blowing kind of sound, and in perfect shape.

dear damascene_oud, did your grandfather, bless his soul, leave any of those white thick linen bags for you to inherit? do you know what happened to them? I'm sure it would be very nice for you to have one!
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-9-2007 at 12:07 PM

hey guys
thx for the imput i really got alot out of what u guys said .
this is a pic of what i mean this is my place and this is what i wanna hand or build soemthing .
tell me what u think.
sorry for the bad quility its on my phone mom took my camara to israel.
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-10-2007 at 07:31 PM

hey guys
this is kind of importent to me so please speak up b4 i throw them in the garbage well maybe that pushing it alot lol .
anyway gues what u think the best idea is to hang or build a shelf. or please tell me
thx sammy

MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 7-10-2007 at 11:56 PM

hey oudplayer, before u throw them in the garbage I'll take one off your hands ;) ! Well leaving your lovely ouds on that couch does look like an accident waiting to happen, especially if the neighbors and their children and the dog all pop round for a visit.....it seems to me that some sort of closet with sliding glass doors or an overhead rack, or anything along those lines would be a step in the right direction. got any carpenter friends who can advise you? good luck! :airguitar:
Dikran Najarian's hanging things for some inspiration-
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 04:47 AM

My teacher hung his ouds up as described, with the faces against the wall. They don't weigh very much and can be supported by the bottom pegs. The linen bags mentioned above are a great idea. Or if you have room build a big box for them or get a cabinet to hang them in. If you live in a dry climate hang them up in bags with the face against the wall with half an apple in the bottom of the bag and change the apple every once in a while so it won't rot. I have a couch just like the one in the picture and some of my guitars live on it. It says that I value my instruments more than I value people. It also says that I am challenging someone to move them. A couch is also the softest place for them to sit and the seat of honor. We need medication.
3om3om
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-13-2007 at 07:24 AM

my oud teacher hangs his (forgot the number) ouds facing the wall with some kind of thin rope around the neck . as well as his 2 bouzou' and his guitar :)
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 7-13-2007 at 07:28 AM

[img]http://lh6.google.com/awdabsin/RpeMFrgkZQI/AAAAAAAAADo/g388wxYlYLE/DSC00314.JPG?imgmax=512[/img]

Sorry guys, I was busy lately

This is my Ouds Rack and it has been holding up nicely for the last six years with no damage to my ouds at all from using this method. Wife recently asked me to change the scene and move it across the room to the oposite corner and I gladly did:bowdown:
Still gives the living room a touch of beauty:D
best regards

Awad
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 7-13-2007 at 09:22 AM

Hey abusin what is that 5 string instrument in your picture? Looks kinda like a banjo but no resonator?

Go To Top