Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ordering strings
bouga15
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

exclamation.gif posted on 7-11-2007 at 07:08 AM
Ordering strings

Hi everyone;
i want to buy a new Pyramid Custom Lute String set by credit card but i live in Tunisia and i don't know where can i order these strings.
Please help me by posting links and giving tips.
Best Wishes.
bouga15
:shrug:
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 08:32 AM

hi bouga15. try this link, Jameel may be able to help you.-
http://www.khalafoud.com/accessories.htm
regards, matthew
bouga15
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 09:50 AM

Thanks matthew , but i heard that ordering Pyramid strings directly from the factory in Germany is the safest and the best way to get'em in few days ; besides in Germany they have a very large kinds of strings customized to the needs of each player and finally ordering from the U.S may cost me a lot.
regards,bouga:shrug:
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bouga15
Thanks matthew , but i heard that ordering Pyramid strings directly from the factory in Germany is the safest and the best way to get'em in few days ; besides in Germany they have a very large kinds of strings customized to the needs of each player and finally ordering from the U.S may cost me a lot.
regards,bouga:shrug:

yes, that may be true, ordering direct from the factory in Germany might be the best way for you. Good luck with whatever method you choose! :airguitar:
tsugumi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 10:42 AM

Hi bouga15

You can pay by credit card.

This site:
http://saitenkatalog.de/home/index.php?osCsid=f632b95cce95566453787...

tsugumi
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 11:00 AM

Try with Matthias Wagner in Germany who can help you to design custom sets for any oud/tuning: his website is http://www.lutes-strings.de/ and you can download his oud string catalogue from this url: http://www.music-strings.de/download-center_1-6/popup.php?fileid=14

Best wishes

Ronny
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 12:08 PM

I have always had friendly and prompt service ordering direct from Pyramid in Germany over the past 30 years or so but you cannot order online by credit card. I request a proforma invoice from them via email for the total cost and shipping and then mail the order to them with payment by International Money Order in Euros enclosed.

If you want to calculate your own custom string sets, I have found the Pyramid 'slide rule' string calculator to be very useful and it only costs a nominal 14.6 Euros from them which I think is good value.
I did post a set of the Pyramid string tension tables on this forum some time ago which might also be found useful if you do not want to purchase a calculator.
bouga15
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 12:20 PM

I wanna thank Tsugumi and Ronny Andersson for their help and tips;
well,i tried to buy strings from saitenkatalog.de but after giving all the details including my credit card number and my address;they said that they don't have the strings number i ordered;besides,for shipping out of europe they take several days or maybe months.
For what concerns Matthias Wagner, i sent him an e-mail,yesterday,in which i asked him what should i do exactly to buy strings by credit card,but he didn't reply to me.
If you have any other URL address or advices don't hesitate to post'em...:shrug:
Your friend bouga.
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 12:37 PM

To ship to Tunis shall not take months, I have friends in Tunis and is not a problem to post anything to them. Matthias can be little slow (busy guy) but he will reply. I buy my strings from Matthias and pay with credit card.

Best wishes

Ronny
bouga15
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 12:42 PM

Hi jdowning;
it's the first time i hear that we can order strings from Germany by "PRO FORMA" and payin'em by "INTERNATIONAL MONEY ORDER" so i ask you for more clarifications,details and the steps i have to follow if i wanna make a such order.
For what concerns Pyramid slide rule and calculator,i have the right numbers for my floating bridge oud.However i wanna know if in the same Pyramid string number i can find different tensions or the tension differs only when i change the string number ?:shrug:
regards
bouga15
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 12:47 PM

Hi Ronny
So if i have well understood , you advise me to contact Matthias and i will not be disappointed ?:)
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 02:14 PM

Hi bouga15 - to place an order with Pyramid in Germany, email Sabine Holz at s.holz@pyramid-saiten.de listing the strings that you want to purchase and quantity. There is no minimum order limit. You will then receive, by email, a 'proforma' invoice (this just means that it is a standardised order form) listing the strings that you want to order and prices as well as shipping and handling cost giving a total cost in Euros for your order. You can then purchase the strings by mail enclosing a copy of the proforma invoice together with payment. I use International Money Order (a kind of International cheque) obtained from my local bank. I assume that this is a truly international banking service available in most countries? I am not sure if there are any alternative methods of payment available, however.
The Pyramid calculator (or tension tables) will give you string tensions for a given pitch for each string number and tensions - if you change string number.
bouga15
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdowning
Hi bouga15 - to place an order with Pyramid in Germany, email Sabine Holz at s.holz@pyramid-saiten.de listing the strings that you want to purchase and quantity. There is no minimum order limit. You will then receive, by email, a 'proforma' invoice (this just means that it is a standardised order form) listing the strings that you want to order and prices as well as shipping and handling cost giving a total cost in Euros for your order. You can then purchase the strings by mail enclosing a copy of the proforma invoice together with payment. I use International Money Order (a kind of International cheque) obtained from my local bank. I assume that this is a truly international banking service available in most countries? I am not sure if there are any alternative methods of payment available, however.
The Pyramid calculator (or tension tables) will give you string tensions for a given pitch for each string number and tensions - if you change string number.
Hi jdowning,
i'm not sure if here in Tunisia we have such a bank service (International Money Order) but i'll ask about this.I wanna know if i can buy the strings by credit card it's easier i think.
Question : one string number has many tensions ?
ex : (for my 58.5 cm string length)py 1113 has a tension of 47(Newton)
can i have a tension of 50(Newton)for the same py 1113 without changing the string length ?
regards
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-12-2007 at 04:09 AM

Yes off course he can help you!

Quote:
Originally posted by bouga15
Hi Ronny
So if i have well understood , you advise me to contact Matthias and i will not be disappointed ?:)

Best wishes

Ronny
Benjamin
Oud Junkie

Mood: sababa baba

[*] posted on 7-12-2007 at 04:59 AM

Hi Bouga15 you can order your string from a luthier in Paris I always buy my strings from them, they can ship it to you (they already sent me strings to England and Israel). You can go on their website if you speak french or send them an email in english: http://www.lepointdaccroche.com
Salamat
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-12-2007 at 05:16 AM

Yes - by raising the pitch of the note a little - provided the increase is within the allowed tension range for that particular string type and the oud can stand the increased load of all of the strings being raised in tension to maintain the correct relative tunings. Otherwise an alternative string number should be chosen to give the increased tension desired without raising the pitch. The Pyramid string calculator also gives the allowable high/low pitch range for each string number. I could not find string number 1113 listed in the Pyramid lute string range, however.
I should point out that the Pyramid string calculator is only intended for use with the Pyramid lute string range so will apply if you intend to use their lute strings on your oud.
Another 'slide rule' string calculator covering plain gut, nylon and metal strings that may be of general interest can be downloaded free from NRI at http://www.nrinstruments.demon.co.uk/StrCalc.html
bouga15
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-12-2007 at 08:38 AM

Hello,
i wanna thank all of you for these useful informations and i'll try to find the best way to buy the good strings from the right person.:bowdown:
your friend bouga
bouga15
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-12-2007 at 03:08 PM

Hi everyone;
i have one more question :
can i buy strings from Matthias Wagner with a prepayment (sending a mandate) ?
kind regards
bouga15

Go To Top