Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I want to play OUD !!!!
ammar
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 08:37 AM
I want to play OUD !!!!

Hi every one, I am fascinating with the Oud and I want to play Oud. In my in last trip to the Middle East I brought Oud with me. Please keep in mind that I never played any instrument before, I live in Montreal, CANADA can any one advice. Thank you
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 10:32 AM

Hello Ammar,

We have VCD-1 in English 'How to play oud?'.2-3-4 VCDs will be ready at the end of April.Currently,2-3-4 VCDs are in Turkish.If you wish,send e-mail please.

Regards.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
kuharido
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 10:39 AM

Hello , can you please post more info about that CD . What kind of lessons , a preview maybe ... etc . . I know people whomight be interested .Thanks
Haluk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-12-2004 at 05:18 AM
oud VCDs

Hello,

These VCDs for to teach oud :playing,makams,tunings etc.,every VCD is 55 minutes.Only VCD-1 is in English currently.2-3-4 are in Turkish but at the end of April 2-3-4 VCDs will be ready in English.
Please send e-mail for more information

Haluk Eraydin

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-12-2004 at 05:44 AM

Hi Ammar

There are several quite distinct styles or schools of oud playing such as 'Arabic', Turkish, Iraqi etc., with a certain amount of overlap between them. Before you buy any instructional materials it is probably best to decide which style you want to focus on. In additon, there is a lot of free information available online.

The VCDs that Mr Eraydin has for sale are probably designed to teach the Turkish style of playing. If you do decide to pursue this route, there is also a very good oud method available (in Turkish) by Multlu Torun. Mr Eraydin will hopefully be able to help you to find this book, but if not I can suggest some places to buy it.

Best wishes

David

P.S. I have a website (you may have seen it already) that deals with all aspects of the oud at:

http://website.lineone.net/~david.parfitt/
Haluk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-12-2004 at 06:13 AM
VCDs

These VCDs are for Turkish ouds.If you wish I can send you Mutlu Torun's oud book.

Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-12-2004 at 06:21 AM

Hi

I have the VCD that Mr Haluk mentioned-only the first CD and Im waiting for the 2nd 3rd and 4th by the end of April.

Kindly email me if you need to know more about the Oud Lesson-Thanks

Salam
ammar
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-12-2004 at 08:18 AM
Thks all

Hi

Thank you Haluk for your interest, Regarding your comment David I want to play the Arabic style, please any one advice if the there are any book or CDs or any other educational material for beginners like me.

Ammar
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-12-2004 at 08:28 AM

Hi Ammar

Unfortunately there is no decent book or CD available for learning Arabic style oud. However, Mike has some excellent Instructional Videos on this site at http://www.mikeouds.com/video/learn.html - have you seen them yet?

You can find plenty of introductory oud info at Brian Punka's website http://www.brianprunka.com/oud/index.htm and there is also a lot of detailed info on Arabic maqams at http://www.maqamworld.com

Good luck

David
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-12-2004 at 06:17 PM

Hi

Actually there is a book and CD combination of learning the Arabic style oud. Try check out http://maqam.com/maqam-teachings.shtml and you will find sample of the Book n CD there.

I cant guarantee of the effectiveness of this instructional CD but will let you know more when I receive them soon.

For the mean time, as David mentioned Mike's Oud Instructional section will be your best bet!

Salam
ammar
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-13-2004 at 10:08 AM
I want to play OUD

Hi Zulkarnain

Thanks, you ordered these book and CD?? please let me know

Ammar
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-13-2004 at 10:19 AM
Maqam CD

Hi

The 'maqam teachings' CD is compiled by Cameron Powers, who has his own website at:

http://www.musicalmissions.com

Worth a look!

David
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-13-2004 at 08:49 PM

Hi

Yes I order the book for my students here in Kuala Lumpur. I will inform you more once I receive them.

Regards
****Dave..u have a different link other than that-I cant open it.
Michael
Oud Maniac

Mood: M'oud-y

[*] posted on 3-15-2004 at 01:16 AM

What is the Cameron Powers book like? The sample page on maqam.com only shows scales so doesn't seem to offer anything I couldn't get from maqamworld.com or from David's web-site.

Does the Powers book go into sayr, or development of taqsim? Does it cover ornamentation? I can't find these topics covered anywhere on the web so if the book covers them it will be worth $30.
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-15-2004 at 01:43 AM

Hi

Zul - not sure why the link is not working, but you could try going in via http://www.cameronpowers.com

Michael - I get the impression that the Cameron Powers book is pretty basic, and does not contain much more than basic scales.

I just received a much more detailed book - it is a PhD thesis by Scott Marcus (now Professor at UCSB I believe), and is entitled 'Arab Music Theory in the Modern Period'. It covers every aspect of Arab music theory and has answered a lot of questions for me. The chapter headings are:

(1) The Modern Period
(2) The Notes and their Arabic/Persian Names
(3) Adopting Western Solfege and Staff Notation
(4) Tuning and Temperament
(5) Melodic Intervals
(6) Tetrachords
(7) Terms for Mode
(8) How Many Maqamat Are There?
(9) Classifying the Maqamat
(10) The Essential Elements in the Definition of the Individual Modes (huge section!)
(11) Modulation
(12) Conclusion

It is not a textbook as such though, and is written in quite an academic style - if you are still interested it is available from Dissertation Express at:

http://www.umi.com/hp/Products/DisExpress.html

Best wishes

David

Go To Top