Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: For luthiers: Drum Sander for sale.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-14-2007 at 12:31 PM
For luthiers: Drum Sander for sale.

I made this last year for thicknessing oud parts. Ball bearing pillow blocks, 5/8" steel shaft, baltic birch drum 5" dia. Takes the same paper as Performax 16/32. (Includes at least 1 new paper roll, plus a few used ones that are still usable to one degree or another). It has a 16" wide capacity. More than enough for sanding the widest part of an oud--the soundboard. Clever holding device for easy and quick paper changes. I had this running off my radial arm saw, so a motor and stand would be needed. This could also be used on top of a table saw. Just mount the included pulley on the TS shaft and run the belt up to the sander, setting the whole sander on the table saw top. Presto! Made of thick hard rock maple for the pulley support blocks, and 1-1/2" thick mdf for the base and laminated 1-1/2" mdf for the sanding table. Dust collection hood works great with a shop vac. Really heavy duty for a homemade unit, this would be a great addition to a hobbyist's shop. Heavy, weighs almost 80 pounds! And that's without a motor. This has way over $100 in high-quality parts alone that I purchased from Grainger Industrial. I'll take $250. That's a steal. I have the better part of a week in fabricating this. I want someone to put some good use to it. It's served me well, but I now have more serious machine that replaced it. Shipping is extra, ask me for a quote. Glad to answer any questions. Pics below.

With dust shroud in place

With dust shroud removed to show drum

The pulley end showing the main drive pulley and ball-bearing pillow block.

Adjustment screw raises and lowers table.

Mazin
Oud Lover

Mood: respect to all

[*] posted on 7-15-2007 at 12:09 PM

Dear Jameel

Which stage of thinning the soundboard the machine can do. I mean, If I have 6mm spruse, is it adjustable to thin it to 2mm thick. can replace the planer.

Regards

Mazin
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-15-2007 at 12:20 PM

You could take it down to 2mm from 6mm, but it would take a while. A drum sander (of any type) is good for close tolerance work without the violence of a revolving cutterhead (planer), and without the risk of tearout or blowout. Sanders are generally not used for planing. If I started with 6mm, I'd run it through a planer at a skew until I got to about 3-4mm then start sanding. Or you could forget about sanding altogether and use a hand plane and scraper, but that takes more time and lots of skill.

Go To Top