Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Going to turkey this week, where do I find good live music and music shops?
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-15-2007 at 06:30 AM
Going to turkey this week, where do I find good live music and music shops?

Searching came up with mostly luthiers etc. I'm going to be in istanbul two nights (I think on the 19th and 20 not sure) then cappadocia. I want to see some good fasil music and buy some good traditional music.
Help?
Thanks.
oudipoet
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-15-2007 at 12:02 PM

hi masel

i am sure you will enjoy your time in istanbul i woudl recomend that u get some local help to find those places where they have live fasil music but just to get an idea i know this web page which is http://www.meyhane.com/ this web page has a lot of populer place on it you can see some pict and get the adress but the page is in turkish i still hope u will like the info just check it out and if u see anything that u like i would try to translate and get the adress for you ok? take care
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 7-15-2007 at 11:30 PM
Turkey

I just love Istanbul, and I've been there a few times BUT!!! Be very careful with you belongings! Last time I was there at least 5 people from our hotel got robbed (inclooding my mom :mad: when they were sightseeng the city!
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 06:15 PM

Shalom Masel,

The best CD shop in town for traditional music, I think, is at the top of Galip Dede St. in the Golden Horn. Galip Dede St. is the "music store" street that runs close to Galata Tower. The shop is at the top of the street just before you reach Tünel.

Other Forum members probably know better than I do where to hear good traditional music. I quite accidentally heard a concert in the underground cafe in the Byzantine water cistern, which is close to the Sultanahmet area.

Good luck!

Kol tuv,
John
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-17-2007 at 12:17 AM

Thanks for the replies, I also got some good recommendations from my teacher, though still nothing on cappadocia. I understand turkey is full of music so I'm sure I'll find something there too.

Bye
Jack_Campin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-17-2007 at 03:50 PM

The very best place for CDs isn't a shop, it's the vast mall at Unkapani (IMC Blok 6) which has storefronts and offices for all the Turkish record companies. You could spend a day wandering round it. There is one shop that does nothing but Kurdish music, there's the HQ of the wonderful Kalan Muzik, there are lots of bargain bins with the most of extraordinary stuff in them, and to keep you going the coffee stall at the lowest level does the cheapest proper Turkish coffee in Istanbul.

It's just off the Ataturk Bulvari, beside the bridge. The other "Bloks" are full of things like kitchenware, furnishing textiles and carpeting. There are also a couple of musical instrument shops (big, cheap and basic).

The place has all the atmosphere of a multistorey car park but if you have some idea what you want (i.e. can browse an entire building full of monolingual Turkish labelling) it's the place to go.

John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 10:31 AM

Hi Jack,

I think you are right about the place to buy recordings. I did try the musical instrument shops on Atatürk Bulvari and liked the Galip Dede stores better.

Anyway, I am attaching an Istanbul street map with the locations of both Atatürk Bulvari and Galip Dede Caddesi noted. Sounds like Masel doesn't have a lot of time to waste...

Best,
John
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 01:13 PM

Hey again, thanks for that!
pirsultan
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 03:23 PM

I have to agree that manufacturers market (IMC) at Unkapani is the best place if you are on a big buy up of CDs. I've just come back from Istanbul and while I did not get a chance to get there this time (I'm pretty well stocked up with CDs for my interest and had no pressing need to go there) in the past I have found the IMC the best and cheapest one stop place. Some time ago I bought a complete set of Ruhi Su CDs from the distributor for example. There is also the considerable added bonus that when you have exhausted yourself going through the market you can take a short walk up the hill to Vefa and have a couple of restorative glasses of boza at the Vefa Bozacisi (a mandatory stop for me whenever in Istanbul) http://www.vefa.com.tr/english/tarihce.htm Don't forget to get some roasted chickpeas from the leblebeci across the road to have with your boza!
Jack_Campin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 01:50 PM

Vefa Bozacisi is *wonderful*! One of the few places in Istanbul that always has a quiet, calm atmosphere.

Anyone played their ud there? With all the tiles it would sound great.

BTW the arrow on the map is pointing at the floorings market - the CD building is just round the corner on Ragip Gumuspala Caddesi. Across the road from that arrowhead is the Zeynel Abidin Cumbus shop, worth a visit itself.

Go To Top