Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electronic Tuners??
Orahim1
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-17-2007 at 03:52 PM
Electronic Tuners??

Can anyone recommend a good electronic tuner? Thanks.
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 7-17-2007 at 04:59 PM

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CA30/
japan
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-17-2007 at 05:20 PM

I use Boss TU80 from http://www.zzounds.com/item--BOSTU80 together with Seiko STM20 pickup at http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-STM20-Clip-On-Tuner-Pickup/dp/B0006VYYD...

DjBuWaLaD
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 12:15 AM

to be honest don't buy one, just go here http://www.aptuner.com/cgi-bin/aptuner/apmain.html and download the program, all you need is microphone and your set, it's awesome and really precise
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 05:07 AM

That's a good suggestion if you're running windows and only play at home . . .

The Boss TU80 is a great tuner, I used to have one but I lost it. :(
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-3-2007 at 12:43 PM

I could not resist this digital tuner as an 'impulse buy' at a local "Giant Tiger" bargain store the other day. It cost only $15 is well made, easy to use, compact, a good range and accurate (tested with A440 tuning fork). Not to be confused with a professional grade tuner costing several hundred dollars (that most would never need anyway) but very good value for money nevertheless.
Made in China, they seem to be sold worldwide under different brand names.
Here are the specs. for anyone interested.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-3-2007 at 02:16 PM

very nice John...
I will be sure to check it out at the local giant tiger.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 01:53 PM

I have owned a Seiko ST900 'pocket' tuner for a number of years now that I have used mainly for work that I have done in checking reference pitches of 19th C brass and keyboard instruments rather than tuning stringed instruments. The Seiko - which has an analogue output - cost $120 then compared to the Chinese generic BC 850 tuner which has a sensitive digital LCD output and wider range and does essentially the same thing as the Seiko but costs only $15.

The attached tables that I calculated for use with the Seiko - but are also applicable to the BC 850 and other similar tuners - allow the tuner to be used to measure tone frequencies falling outside the set calibrated ranges of the tuner. I post these - for what they are worth - for those who might be interested and have use for them.

Table 1 gives the calculated frequencies of each equal semitone in the C4 octave range for each pitch setting of the tuner.
Table 2 gives the frequency ratio in cents (hundredths of a semitone - 100 cents equals an equal semitone) for the deviation in cents from the calibration tone frequency.

In other words, with the tuner set (Chromatic setting) to a particular calibration frequency, the exact frequency of the tone being measured (within the accuracy of the tuner) may be determined from the tuner scale reading - plus/minus 50 cents.

So, for example, if the calibration frequency of the meter is set at A440 (default) and the measured tone A of , for example, a 19th C reed organ under examination gives a scale reading of
A +45 cents, the frequency of the tone being measured from Table 2 is A440 X 1.02633 which equals 451.6 Hz. This tells me that the reed organ has been constructed to 19th C standard 'sharp' pitch of A452.

The tables, therefore, may also be used to measure and calculate tone frequencies in between the equal semitone frequencies so may have some application in measurement of quarter tones etc.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 01:56 PM

..... and Table 2.
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 06:09 PM

The only tuners I've ever found that are so accurate that you can independently tune two strings to the same pitch and have them be zero-beat after tuning are the Peterson Strobe tuners http://www.petersontuners.com/. The $200 I spent on the StroboFlip has been well worth it.

Harry

Go To Top