Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: opinions on Sukar ouds
ozeri
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-25-2007 at 02:49 AM
opinions on Sukar ouds

Can anyone speak of the quality of Sukar ouds in general?
More specifically the model 14 and 212.
I would like to step up in the quality of oud as I now have an
beginner/el cheapo oud.
I really don't have the $ for a Shehata at this time but do indeed
want a better oud.
I have read threads on Sukar ouds but I wanted to ask anyway.
This is my first post ( I think? ) anyway I have gained much
information from the forum,that I am certain I cannot obtain
elsewhere. This forum is great.
Thanks for any guidance that you guys may provide.
nasers
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-25-2007 at 01:34 PM

Hello, Ozeri. I have a model 14 that I love and have seen and played a 212 that a friend just got. Pluses from my point of view: great dark sound; good projection; low action and good playability; overall great value for the money, no doubt. Minuses: it can get frustrating trying to communicate with Mr. Sukar. He doesn't respond to emails much and his English is not very good. There are a few small things that if you can ask him to address will make a big difference in my opinion. Here are the few negative points from my point of view: 1) He doesn't leave any room in the bridge for the strings to be lifted up higher if the action is too low causing a buzz here and there. Such a small consideration when building the bridge can make a huge difference in coping with the biggest problem most ouds run into, i. e., the action. 2) The nut could be grooved and spaced more accurately to allow more room for the first string and to avoid chirping on bass strings during turning 3) pick guard on model 14 could be placed a little closer to the bridge. As I said, all minor points. Good luck.
damascene_oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Obssessed by oud

[*] posted on 7-26-2007 at 04:52 AM

I personally have model 8 and believe me it is a great joy to play it. I tried many kinds of ouds made by some makers well known all over the world and felt very comfortable with Sukar's ouds. The newer version of Ibrahim Sukar's ouds are far better in sound quality than the old onse. I recently tried the flaoting bridge oud that he made for somebody, the sound was stunning, deep yet loud enough with supreme clarity and procession. The resonance though of Sukar's ouds is not consistent from one piece to another, and this is owing to the wood quality. But to honest in general i liked his ouds more than Turkish onse (mediocre quality), Nasseer Shamma played his ouds and commented:
"A new Iraqi ouds built by a Syrian man religiously following scientific rules"
I guess model 212 is considered to be of good quality.
If you wish you can give Ibrahim Sukar a call:
mob.:(+963) 944 411 773
Land:(+963) 21 555-3297
(+963) 21 575-9240

Good luck
damascene_oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Obssessed by oud

[*] posted on 7-26-2007 at 04:54 AM

OoOooopppssss
i wanted to type the phone numbers in parenthesis, but it turned out to be sad faced imoticins, sorry they mean nothing at all
:rolleyes:

Go To Top