Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My first taqsim post.. please be gentle but firm
rebetostar
Oud Maniac

Mood: Ajam Ushayran

[*] posted on 7-25-2007 at 01:28 PM
My first taqsim post.. please be gentle but firm

Here is my first post attempting to play a taqsim..
I'd really like to know how I can improve. It's intended to be in Saba :D
Also it's a Sukar electric oud (with some upgrades).

ps. I've been told that "rebetostar" is pretentious.. it's kind-of an inside joke I guess.. my bandmates realized we're too old to be rock stars, so we started playing Greek music and said to each other "maybe we'll be rebetostars one day" heh.
Beas.One
Oud Maniac

Mood: Content

[*] posted on 7-25-2007 at 09:03 PM

It's wonderful for a first attempt. It doesn't have a traditional sound but is pleasant to listen to. Thanks.

Lapis Lazuli Jewelry
Handmade in Afghanistan
Beautiful Designs, Great Prices.
http://www.afghanjewelry.com
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 7-26-2007 at 08:35 AM

hi rebetostar, interesting taqsim! what I liked was the feeling that you were taking your time to develop the mood within the framework of the maqam, not rushed or in any way attempting to play too flash. The sound of your electric oud, to my ears, sounded like how some of the guitar players from those great 60's California bands used to sound when they got into an 'eastern' mode, like Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service ( ever hear 'The Fool' by QMS?) and even the Doors and so on. I mean this as a compliment, and if as you say you are too old to be a rock star then you know what I mean! As Beas.One said, it doesn't have a traditional sound, but there are modern oud players using the traditional oud and the electric oud in new ways and with new sounds, depends what you want. looking forward to your next MP3, and thanks for sharing this one with us! :airguitar:

Go To Top