Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Taqseem Rast by yours truly on the Oud...
dampwater
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 07:40 PM
Taqseem Rast by yours truly on the Oud...

Hello forum members, I just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Karim and I've been playing guitar for about 5 years and recently (6 months ago) began playing the oud, as I've always wanted to learn it.

Here is a simple Rast taqseem I made a couple of hours ago, please judge how I play and possibly the level of my playing and where I need to improve. I hope you enjoy it!

Due to size issues, I've posted it on the following link...
http://dampwater.dmusic.com/
its the first song on there Rast Taqseem. :rolleyes:

Thanks ;):rolleyes:
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 09:45 PM

there is no file there.
make sure it is under 1 megabite. thats the limit.
dampwater
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 10:39 PM

ohhh woops, I'm sincerely sorry, I didn't know about the file size restriction...since this is a longer piece, I've decided to upload it on another website. Please check it out at this link...

http://dampwater.dmusic.com/

Its the first one called Rast Taqseem (07-30-07)

Again, I apologize, and please tell me what you think!
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 03:25 AM

Hi Karim, I enjoyed your take on taqsim rast. The 'string section' in the background added a nice ambiance, and you play well for 6 months. Having been at the guitar for 5 years must have helped. Have you come across any local oud teachers to help you with oud basics like maqams, etc, or are you just playing on instinct?
On a slightly different note, I noticed on your webpage that it said you guys were based in Cairo about 3 years ago, I guess having lived there you would naturally have a feel for the oud! Are you the same dampwater now based in Houston, TX with the posting about trying to get your strings tied on?
dampwater
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 05:57 AM

yea yea...I'm the same guy who can't tie his strings...lol. I mean, I can tie them, but I just found a hard time having them to stay at a right level of action from the fretboard.

I actually started up on the oud when I came to houston not in cairo! And No, I wasn't taught by anybody although i wish i have been, I just studied the maqams from the internet and listen to alot of taqsims (sunbati, wahab, farid, etc...)

Thanks for taking the time to listen! I hope more people can give me advice or comments on where to improve and such, thanks...
Maher
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 11:08 AM

That's pretty good for someone who just started playing the oud. I am a beginner too, so I am not qualified to give you any technical advice, but I enjoyed listening to the piece. Good luck with your band...
cjmichael
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-1-2007 at 09:27 AM

Hello dampwater,

Since I am just a beginner on the oud, I can't really provide any constructive criticism, but I can certainly say that I enjoyed it. On a somewhat related note I noticed you had "Ya Mahla Nourha" there as one of your songs (I enjoyed this one as well). Do you have the notes to this song or did you just play it by ear?

Thanks,
Chris.
dampwater
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-2-2007 at 09:31 AM

Thanks chris, I actually do have the notes for "Ya mahla nourha". Its a very simple song in Ajam. Thanks for commenting on my taqseem. I have attached the notes for Ya Mahla Nourha...Enjoy! ;)
cjmichael
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-4-2007 at 09:50 AM

Excellent, thanks for these notes.

Go To Top