Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tetrachords/pentachords and makams
Arto
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 01:03 AM
Tetrachords/pentachords and makams

As far as i know, a makam is a mode that carries with itself a typical scale with its important notes, melodic motives, a typical pattern of melodic development (seyir) and modulation, etc etc. Traditionally the makams are described to be put together of tetrachords or pentachords.

Do these tetra/pentachords carry with themselves the same "information" as makams described above? Do they have "a life by themselves" or are they sort of "inanimate building blocks" for makams? A rast makam has scale, seyir, melodic motives etc - does rast tetrachord carry something of these along, when it is part of some other makam than rast? Intervals yes, of course, but what about melody types etc?

Sorry for being so theoretical, but I find these things interesting.
thanks, Arto
TheCuddlyDevil
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-7-2007 at 01:45 AM

They are not inanimate building blocks. They can add a feel depending on what combination of Ajnas (plural of Jins which is any tetra/pentachord used) you are using.

Therefore, assuming you have a rast tetrachord in the bottom (the start of the makam) you may get different feelings depending on what other Jins you use at the top. But all in all, the Rast family in general (Makams sharing the same lower jins share the same family) is more similiar to itself then to other families. So you have a wide range of subtle sounds to explore. (this may be different than the Turkish theory)

If you know a bit of Western theory, this is also applicable. Using a minor 3rd hints at a sad mood, but there are differents kinds of "sad" which you can use depending on whether you implement the augmented fifth (giving it a more serious, gritty tone) or the perfect sixth (which can have a lighter mood).

Hope that answers your question. If you have any more don't hesitate to ask.
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 8-7-2007 at 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arto
A rast makam has scale, seyir, melodic motives etc - does rast tetrachord carry something of these along, when it is part of some other makam than rast? Intervals yes, of course, but what about melody types etc?

Arto it's a really good question and you ask it very well.

I'm sure you know that makam Rast is made up of a Rast pentachord + Rast tetrachord.

Maybe you have a recording of a taksim you can listen to? You should notice that the taksim will begin around the pitch Rast, in the lower pentachord (hopefully that's an ok term). then at the 2nd part of the taksim the player will "go up" to the pitch Neva (the 5th) aka the the highest pitch of the lower pentachord aka the first pitch of the next tetrachord.

Maybe the player is showing another makam here like Suzinak, a slight modulation, but more than likely they are showing Rast from Neva.

Notice the similarities and differences between the Rast from Rast vs. the Rast from Neva in the 2nd section of the taksim. That should be an answer to your question.

Now take Hicaz...plain old hicaz, not Humayun, Uzzal, etc...

it's made up of a Hicaz tetrachord + Rast Pentachord and begins on or around the pitch Dügah, a hicaz tetrachord built off of that.

the 2nd section of the taksim, assuming the player doesn't show a bit of another makam will begin around Neva (the 4th you could say) and play around with the Rast pentachord.

well, notice how it sounds like Rast but doesn't really START like Rast in the usual sense.

what you do use of Rast:
the taste
many of the melodic ideas

seyir? mmm no leave that term for the bigger picture, the whole structure of a makam, not the little tetrachords/pentachords.

it would help if you can tell us what taksims you are listening to, maybe we both have something in our collection. together we can analyze it a bit?

adam
Arto
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-19-2007 at 07:21 AM

Thanks very much for you both!

PS: Adam, I sincerely hope your site is down only temporarily! Your Turkish section with all the sheet music is one of the treasures of Internet for me...

Arto
adamgood
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-19-2007 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arto
PS: Adam, I sincerely hope your site is down only temporarily! Your Turkish section with all the sheet music is one of the treasures of Internet for me...

Arto thanks for mentioning it. I got caught off guard, been traveling and teaching at a workshop in the US where I had very little time to get to my computer. Meanwhile my domain expired, oops, so my whole site is down. I'm taking care of it so hopefully early next week it will be online again.

adam
adamgood
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-20-2007 at 09:10 AM

PS, the Nota site is back up and online now, yo.

enjoy
adam
samsamaha
Oud Addict

Mood: Good Mood

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 02:20 AM

hi there ...
Any body have a song by Ali El Haggar called "Layla" ... it was played in a TV soap called Al Beshry in the 80'a .... i just had a daughter and her name is Layla and i want to play it for her...... thanks

Go To Top