Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Strange Buzz
Tkoind
Oud Maniac

Mood: dreaming

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 08:02 PM
Strange Buzz

I read the other thread about fingerboard buzz, but can't seem to narrow this issue to any of the opinions listed. Here's what I have.

I recently restrung my Oud. It was fine the day it was restrung but now I have found an unusual buzz. I'm new to Ouds but play several other lutes and string instruments from around the world. I've checked the string spacing from the fingerboard and from each other. As far as I can tell, they both look fine. Play clearance seems the same as before restringing. And there's the added question of why it started a week after stringing but was fine at first.

Here's what happens. Playing with other strings open the second and third from the bottom strings cause the instrument to buzz. If other strings are silenced and only one course played, the buzz is gone. Release the other stings, play the same notes (open or played) and the buzz returns.

I did notice that if I press lightly on the oud face near the bridge the buzz disappeared in all cases. Could it be a structure problem? Though nothing seems loose or unstable.

I'm a bit at a loss. Any advice would be very welcome.

Cheers,
aldokhi
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 09:17 PM

Hi Tkoind,

Buzzing is a multifactorial problem, don't forget that the peg box could be a source of buzzing. I think it results from the way the stings sit on each other. I have seen some ouds buzz for a while when new stings are installed, then they stop buzzing. I wish I have a single solution for this problem, maybe the oud makers in this forum could offer you a better advice.

good luck
Aldokhi
excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 09:57 PM

hey man-

are the strings the proper tension for your oud type (arabic or turkish) and string length? sometimes, and I hate to say it, but loose braces do happen- especially under the bridge when it is subject to unnecessary tension and stress... who is the builder of your oud? is it a professional model? this problem is more common with cheaper, less quality instruments- let us know-

tarik
Tkoind
Oud Maniac

Mood: dreaming

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 10:43 PM

I bought the oud from my teacher. The label says it was made for Marco in Egypt in March 2005. It is an Arabic style. The strings I am using were ordered from Emmaz here in Tokyo and are lighter tuning and tension than the that the original old strings I replaced. I don't think the instrument has been subjected to too much stain. I had it checked out a bit by another player before purchasing. But there were no major problems. Just overly tight pegs.

If it is a loose brace, is it something that can be sorted or is it fatal without an Oud luthier? How can I determine if it is a brace vs some other cause? Is there a good way to test and judge?
omazuz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-15-2007 at 08:02 PM
try this

- loose all strings from the keys and mount them again- by the orde of the keys and make sure the string is only ove the key and not touchig the key house.
1 more thing on the other side of the oud-dont leave too much loose edjes on the strings mounted to the bridge.
those r the 2 major reasons i know- beside the gap between the stings and the nec- which u hve cheacked.
good luck
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 8-17-2007 at 04:08 PM

nothing is fatal. You've already done the loose brace test and it indicates some interal delamination may be causing the buzz. It will be more prnounced as more strings and heavier strings (bass) are vibrating. You could eliminated all the other causes (crossing in the pegbox, lemininating string, ) but pressing on the face is a good indication of a loose or cracked brace. It can be fixed. post your location and I might know someone nearby to help you.

Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-17-2007 at 07:17 PM

Omazuz's ideas are good. Also: Smaller diameter strings will sit down in the nut further and be closer to the fingerboard and that may buzz.

Check the rosettes. Tap on the top right next to each rosette. A loose rosette will buzz; I've had that happen.

A set of strings meant for Turkish tuning EABEAD could buzz when tuned to Arabic tuning DGADGC. I have put a Turkish tuning set of LaBellas on my oud and the third strings buzz then taken the third strings off and replaced them with another identical pair of LaBella third strings and no buzz.

You can check for a loose brace by lightly rapping with your knuckles on the top and see if something answers. If something's loose you'll hear it. Strings can buzz like a sitar in the slots in the nut if they have room to buzz or the slots are the wrong shape.

But pressing on the top near the bridge and having the buzz go away does sound like a loose brace. Check all the other things first and eliminate them one by one. Good luck. D.L.

Go To Top