Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8
Author: Subject: Designing a Golden Mean based oud
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-20-2009 at 01:41 AM

Dear Mike,

I would like to thank you for this peaceful place you created for all of us, this community is so inspiring, helpful and well informed that many projects, including this one, wouldn't have gone far without the motivation and the inspiration that the forums create.
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 8-21-2009 at 02:21 AM

Dear Alami,

What a treat to see such an innovative idea come to fruition in such a satisfying way. The result is an instrument of rare beauty and it is a credit to you and to Mr Matta.
This would have been an expensive project and I salute you for carrying it through to completion.

Warm regards,

Greg
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-21-2009 at 07:19 AM

Dear Mahmoud,
You are too kind my friend. These forums are only as you say because of the QUALITY OF PEOPLE who post in them. To me that's what keeps them so alive and strong. Also, the instrument we all love and adore so much bonds us in a special way. It is only natural for there to be such a place for all of us to commune and enjoy each others' experiences with such an awesome instrument. So you all are what make the forums what they are buddy!
All the best,
Mike

ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-22-2009 at 01:03 AM

Mike, of course I agree with you my friend, someone had to do it and you did, so thank you.

Greg, I don't really know if I can say "expensive".
When I think of all the time and effort that Fadi put into finalizing the mold and building this oud, I really believe that he deserves more than the fees he charged, really.
And...if I think to bill myself the "R&D" human and workstation work time, then it would make a hell of a bill.... and then if I balance the equation by putting a value on the pleasure of finally holding this oud for real and the pleasure of reading the comments and the reactions and of hearing the sound... It would be probably the "cheapest" oud I've ever had.
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 8-25-2009 at 08:55 AM
Forgivness, sustain...

Mabrok again ALAMI!

I was sooo blinded by the beauty of your oud that I didn't read all the details. But now that I can see again...
here are a couple of thoughts...

1- can we have too much sustain?
YES! part of the idea with the western pick technique (guitar) was to reduse sustain (by using the arm to "stop" sustain).
But in traditionl oud music, sustain is welcome, and desired.
I have never heard "better" sustain on any oud before (and I have playd and heard many. I own 16 ouds and have playd on many more over the past 32 years). And I love the way your oud holds a beautiful
constant sustain.
And I think it would be just perfect to play acoustic in a church for example.
But my guessing is that it would be a big problem with microfon (at least a big chalange for the sound enginere.

2- about forgivness.
My experience is the following (please don't jump on me guys ; )
Forgivness does not have to do only with the oud, but the strings too! Actually, the combination of the strings and the oud. A oud can be more "forgiving" with some type of strings and not other!!

And some mathematics: when two strings are "almost" in tune (as a couple), the tone gets WORSE the CLOSER you get to the "perfect" tuning. ANd that is pure mathematics. When the peak of the to "waves" is too close, but not exact, the sound becomes really horrable (so it is actually better to have a less perfect tuning (in case you are not capable of getting a perfect one)!!
And the better the oud is, the worse the problem gets!

So actually, my experiance is that the BETTER the oud is, the LESS forgiving it is!!! But when you get the perfect tuning, the good oud gets MUCH louder because now the waves are in fase.

Good luck with the future development of your oud Alami. I totally fell in love with your project and your RESULT!!
:bounce::bounce:
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-26-2009 at 02:03 AM

Thank you Luttgutt for your valuable comments, It seems logical to me that "forgivness" may be a combination of oud and strings, the old Istanbuli oud I have with its 63cm stringlength and with his gut strings is in fact very easy to tune and play.

It would be interesting if the relation between bowl geometry and sustain can be established I am now evaluating some tools ranging from finite elements simulation tools to accoustic analysis software, we'll see.

It is also interesting to experiment with microphone (s) settings and configurations.
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 8-27-2009 at 02:47 AM

I agree ALAMI, I think it is much easier to tune gut strings (even synthetic gut (aquila)). It might be the case that gut has a higher elastisity constant than nylon!??

Do you mean you want to find which geometric shape that gives MOST sustain? That is, are you seeking more sustain than what you already have?
Or do you mean something else by "relation between bowle and sustain"?

My guess is that the "logarithmic snail" that you have used gives you the longest sustain. But I think (guess) that the sound pins too (bracing) has to follow the Febonacci's sequence, both in width (distance between them) and hight (ratiowise). And that the bracing might be placed different from normal oud!

What do you think?

excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 01:35 AM

I was just searching the forums (I was being nostalgic) and remembered this thread-

---Been a while...

What an amazing oud indeed- ALAMI: you still out there bro? just wondering... AND I would like to explore the possibility of having one similar built for myself- lemme know- anyone

Tarik
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 02:06 AM

"AND I would like to explore the possibility of having one similar built for myself- lemme know- anyone"

That's what you get for hanging out here, bro ...
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 05:20 AM

Yes, being reminded of this thread by Tarik's post, and seeing and hearing this incredible oud, has convinced me I want one for myself too!

Oh boy...

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 04:00 AM

You know guys, this oud wouldn't have been done without the people here kicking my *ss.
Thanks Tarek for bringing it back and giving me some positive thoughts as we're drowned into horrible news lately, in this part of the world.

After 3 years of having the prototype done, I really don't mind if this model is produced, at very small volume however, I need to talk with Fadi Matta about this, it's been a while I haven't seen him.

I also would like to redo some recordings now and I would like to use the knowledgeable ears here to evaluate the sound evolution. The oud was well played.

Technically there are 2 things that I would like to experiment
A fixed bridge model with a different and lighter bracing
A floating bridge model

Pages:  1  ..  6    8

Go To Top