Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Video Part 4-Faruk Türünz's Arabic Ouds
trumpetlespaul
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-19-2007 at 11:53 PM
Video Part 4-Faruk Türünz's Arabic Ouds

Hello,
The ultimate part of Faruk Türünz's Arabic ouds played by several oud players at Faruk Türünz oud shop is now available:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7hz4t3UXso
cjmichael
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-20-2007 at 07:51 AM

Awesome!
oudipoet
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-20-2007 at 08:37 AM

faruk turuz and his ouds RULESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-20-2007 at 03:49 PM

Ya salaam...bravo! Beautiful playing and of'course beautiful ouds by Usta Faruk.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-20-2007 at 08:33 PM

nice ouds... but I find it sounds very turkish still.
not much of an arabic sound.
is that done on purpose?
the tuning is arabic of course....
The playing of some is arabic style but some players there are playing pure turkish style or even a bit of Iraqi influence.
What's the story behind the turkish influence on the playing style of the arab visiting players there?
Thanks
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 12:34 PM

Dear SamirCanada,

The young people in the videos came to Istanbul to study with Yurdal Tokcan, who is a very famous Turkish oud player.
They are from Kuwait, Tunisia, Dubai and Syria. They are conservatory students and are adding to their musical knowledge by learning about music from countries other than their own. Maybe including Iraq, I do not know.

The Arabic oud played in most of the videos I made for "dubai244." He is very good oud player from the United Arab Emirates. When you listen to his playing you will hear some embellishment that maybe are Turkish. If you listen to many Turkish oud players you will find also Arabic influence. This is not strange for an instrument that has been played for such a long time and there has been much borrowing and learning from each of the countries where this instrument has been played for such a long time.

Many Arabic players have chosen my instruments and you should perhaps ask them if their ouds sound Arabic. I myself would find it hard to be definite about the type of an ouds sound from hearing a youtube of it played in a workshop full of glass, steel and cement. Perhaps that has influenced your harsh judgement of my ouds when you said, "not much of an arabic sound."
I have worked and studied very hard to design ouds with a classical Arabic sound and I believe I have succeeded. There are many owners of my Arabic ouds who also believe I have succeeded.

A few days ago a professional oud artist from Dubai visited my workshop and when playing one of my ouds said "I first saw and played one of your ouds last year. I found its sound very similar to the Nahat ouds sound. This one has the same sound. Please make my oud's sound just like this."
I have studied the sound and designs of ouds from many famous old oud makers but I do not make claim that my ouds sound like any particular one. But I do make claim my Arabic ouds are real Arabic ouds and there are many happy owners who also agree. I am also very proud that I have many emails and other correspondences telling me that my oud is the best one they have ever owned.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 01:50 PM

Dear Usta Farouk I didnt not mean to say it was a bad sound not at all. please excuse me if I have sounded harsh. I respect you very much as a maker.

Iam was saying its a very unique sound unlike what I have heard before kind of like in between arabic and turkish. I meant to ask if this was done on purpose.
Obviously the players there are enjoying the oud and you can tell they are playing it with love.

But now that you say that they are studying with Yurdal. It makes it more clear why some are playing in turkish style on the oud.

Go To Top