Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: help with taqsims
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 8-20-2007 at 02:45 PM
help with taqsims

hey guys I want to get my feet wet in taqsims and basically use all the mundane stuff i learned all the more useful. any tips or simple tricks that anyone can help me start off with. its about time i make this damn instrument speak.
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 02:37 PM

hi P48- I think you've asked a question that most all of us have to deal with in making our oud 'speak' the way we'd like it to. As we are each unique in the way and the speed at which we learn, we probably each have our own angle on what works for us. I don't know what you mean by 'mundane stuff' you have learned so far, but what works for me ( more or less) to help get my head around playing a taqsim is a combination of the following: I try and listen to a lot of the professional players, old and new, go through their take on a taqsim or song, and try and copy whatever few notes or lines I can pick up from them. I've also sat with my oud in front of my computer watching and listening to the videos on this website and on youtube, and again try and copy what I can pick up from these guys. I think a lot of us go through this phase, of listening to a lot of good players and trying to pick up a line or two from them and make it our own as well as to get a feel for how taqsims are put together. For 'homework' I try and practice running up and down the notes of different maqams, with tremelo and without, which helps me to memorise them as well as get a feel for them and build dexterity. An excellent maqam chart was recently posted by Alami, and is definitely worth checking out- http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?action=attachme...
I also find inspiration from all the guys in this forum who are great players in their own right, like TP21, Ronnie, Oud Proff, really too many to name but listening to all of them has helped me and inspired me with my own playing. So what has worked for me has been tons of watching and listening, listening an watching, over and over, then trying to play it my way. I asked TP21 for some advice and he replied to me in one posting 'never put down your oud'. how right he is, rome wasn't built in a day! I know I still got a long way to go, but I'm really enjoying the ride. I also realize that no one can do it for you, you got to work and practise and practise and make that oud speak. We'll all get there at our own speed sooner or later bud! :)

Go To Top