bluesyOud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oudy

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spyros mesogeia
Dear friends,
I have three albums of Simon Saheen,
I like him very much and I can say for sure that It is considered as one of the greatest oudplayers....
Only the album Al Qantara can show the virtuosity of this person....
Some people when say something about this artist should be more carrefull....they have many many things to learn by him....
I saw a student of him that he works now here in Greece on the Greek television,and I can asure you that he has many elements of Saheens style...
Respect to this great teacher,sometimes the arrogance has limits....
Regards
Spyros
P.S.Jameel my friend thank you very much for your kindness to share with us this wonderfull videos

Spyros who is the man of Greek Tv you are talking about?
Tell if you want ofcourse?:applause:
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 06:47 AM

Hi Jameel, thanks again for posting these clips. So you know, I was able to save them on my hard drive no problem.

If you need me to repost them for you, let me know.

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 08:16 AM

Dear friend,
The name of this person is Alexandros,he is very good,now he works for the Nathion Greek radio and television....
He did visit my teacher Nikos Saragoudas and my teacher told me that he is very very good.....
I want to contact him too , I want to ask him a few things about the Simon's technique...:D
I will let you know when I will contact him
Regards
Spyros

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 08:20 AM

Oudman, I think Multi Kulti was saying that although he isn't a big fan of Arabic oud playing, he still recognizes the greatness of the Arab players.
There are so many styles of oud playing, maybe we shouldn't argue about whether we prefer Arab/Greek/Turkish/Armenian/Bachir styles. There are excellent musicians playing in all these styles, regardless of what anyone prefers.

btw, Jameel, i saved the files fine, too. Thanks for going to the trouble of filming/posting.
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 08:22 AM

I save it fine too!

Thanks Jameel!

Regards

Oud Greatless
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 08:51 AM

Hi

Well said guys - just because we do not enjoy listening to a particular oud player does not mean he is no good. Saying that, it is good to be critical and debate the merits of particular players (this is supposed to be a forum, after all) - but only if we have some evidence to back up our argument.

Also, how do we define 'greatness' when it comes to oud players? Some players must obviously be better than others, but is a player's merit based on peer acceptance, technique, innovation, etc? Is there a particular point in their career when they can be said to have achieved 'greatness'?

Best wishes

David
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 08:58 AM

David, Simon Saheen himself is not gentle with his own comments over other musicians and he has right to say what he wish. If yourself spend some time with professional oudplayers, then you would hear lot of opinons that arn't always gentle.

Best wishes

Ronny
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 09:05 AM

Hi Ronny

I can certainly believe what you say. However, I am not sure professional oud players are always the best people to be judging other professional oud players, as their judgement may be clouded by jealousy, rivalry or whatever.

Can you give some more details about your views on Simon Shaheen, so that we can get a good debate going here? You don't have to be too gentle!

Best wishes

David
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 09:07 AM

Of Course i meant that I DO appreciate all the players.Arabs,Iraqis,Turks,Armenians and others...

And i said that because i felt a little bit uncomfortable with the critics of Ronny about Simon Shaheen who is without doubt one of the best in his age...

Nikos
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 01:59 PM
10 out 0f 10

Jameelo Jameelo

Thank you man for sharing these clips, I have managed to save them to my PC. Hey they are lovely and I believe Simon can play with his hands in his pocket. :xtreme:

Good on you mate

God bless your good heart. keep it up

Emad
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-16-2004 at 02:39 PM

Salim Dayatuk to you all. I'm glad you all enjoy the videos. (Well, almost all:D)

Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2004 at 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David Parfitt
Hi Ronny

I can certainly believe what you say. However, I am not sure professional oud players are always the best people to be judging other professional oud players, as their judgement may be clouded by jealousy, rivalry or whatever.
Can you give some more details about your views on Simon Shaheen, so that we can get a good debate going here? You don't have to be too gentle!

Dear David, certainly not. I've seen to many flamewars on the web like Farid contra Nasser and each oud player seems to have a hysterical fanclub who can't take any critique what so ever.

Regards,

Ronny

Best wishes

Ronny
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2004 at 01:33 AM

:wavey: Does Mr Shaheen have a Fan Club anyone?

Oud Greatless
wfspark
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud entranced!

[*] posted on 3-17-2004 at 08:07 AM
Video Clips

Quote:
Originally posted by Zulkarnain
Jameel

I love your video man....if nobody likes it...dont bother...send it to me ok...I love this lesson...its inspiring really!

Regards

Oud Greatless
Jameel the clips are great! I didn't think this would start an uproar. Simon Shaheen is top noch. He's got wonderful technique, and though the Arabic school in my mind is hard to understand, I still enjoy it. People need to be just a little more open minded. I like all kinds of oud. Weather it's Turkish, Arabic, or African, I love it. Thanks for the clips.

William F. Sparks
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

thumbup.gif posted on 3-17-2004 at 08:16 AM

:applause:

Oud Greatless
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2004 at 10:41 AM

I've spent a fair amount of time with Simon, and I rarely have heard him criticize another oud player, except in the following situations:

someone asked him directly what his opinion of a particular oud player is, and he responded bluntly and honestly. Ronny's right, he's not gentle.

when discussing a particular piece, he might say that a particular player's interpretation is not traditional or has mistakes, etc. if it comes up, so that a student doesn't copy those mistakes.

I have heard that he was a little more, um--outspoken when he was younger . . .

re:flamewars/opinions/criticism/greatness:

Ronny, I think that this discussion has taken a defensive turn beacuse your original post was not so much an actual critique, but rather a cryptic statement without any details. :shrug:
If you had said, for instance, that you think Simon overuses his technical ability, or is too predictable, or whatever else your criticism is based on, I think people would have responded in a more positive discussion. But maybe not.
I personally think Simon is great, but I'm not a "hysterical fanclub" member (:bounce: ) who is closed to honest criticism (I came up with the above examples, didn't I?).
However, the way in which you chose to dismiss Simon clearly implies a disrespectful attitude towards the people who appreciate his playing--is it any wonder that people are irritated about it? :mad:
the internet message format has a way of distorting things sometimes; the way it came across is as if you thought that people who like Simon are fools. I don't think you meant it that way, really (or maybe you did, I don't know):shrug:
I'm not surpised that you don't particularly like Simon, since you are obviously really into the Iraqi style of playing. It's not my favorite, but I'm glad that for some people it is, because that creates more musical diversity. I still enjoy it, though--it's still an oud, after all. And, I might add, i think you're really good at it.:applause:
I think we can discuss our opinons about various players, but we should do it in a way that respects other's opinons, because there's a fine line between criticizing a player and criticizing the people who like him.:D

No hard feelings, i hope?

peace,
Brian

ps. I know the "smilies" are kind of lame, but they're helpful in keeping the message from being too serious . . . I mean, it's the oud, people! We all love the oud, we have more in common than not, even if we disagree about our favorite players.
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2004 at 01:47 PM

Brian, after all I was to harsh and cryptic. I have strong opinions and I've been in to oud music since I was 14 now 38:(. so I'm not a youngster like many of you ¨guys¨ and I've got the same haircut as Mike...I belive they call it for the oud style.. :cool:
Well, I'm not a great fan of Simon when I consider him as a greater violinist than oudplayer - well there I go again. Anyhow, I know that Mike don't want flame wars so lets be friends...
:xtreme:

Best wishes

Ronny
wfspark
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud entranced!

[*] posted on 3-17-2004 at 04:02 PM
Let's be friends.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronny Andersson
Brian, after all I was to harsh and cryptic. I have strong opinions and I've been in to oud music since I was 14 now 38:(. so I'm not a youngster like many of you ¨guys¨ and I've got the same haircut as Mike...I belive they call it for the oud style.. :cool:
Well, I'm not a great fan of Simon when I consider him as a greater violinist than oudplayer - well there I go again. Anyhow, I know that Mike don't want flame wars so lets be friends...
:xtreme:
Hello To all. Like Brian said, let's all be friends. Yes, we may have our opinions on different styles of oud playing and different players, but we don't need to start a war about it. I'm a new oud oficionato, and the only two styles I know are the African style, and the biblical Hebrew style. That doesn't mean I disrespect other players. To be honest, I think Mr. Shaheen is top notch in oud playing. He has to be my favorite along with Udi Rant. The point of my message is to be a little mor open minded, and respect other's opinions. I have no grudges against anyone. You guys are great! Thanks.

William F. Sparks
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2004 at 05:05 PM

"Udi Rant"

Now there's a name destined for an argument.:D

Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2004 at 05:42 PM

Im 33... Jameel how old are u? and u Mike? TP21? elrabee? Yazoal? Mavrothis?

:D
Oud Greatless
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 3-17-2004 at 06:18 PM

I may be the youngest, but who knows. I'm 18 right now. (And a picture of me is soon to come in the appropriate post as soon as I finish finals).

Hope all is well with you guys.

TP21

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-17-2004 at 06:37 PM

Cool Zul, I'm 24.

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2004 at 09:57 PM

Hi

Well, I guess Ronny is right...he is the eldest among us ;) and we are all youngsters (am I Mike? :D ) Im going to get my hair cut "The Oud" style now...cya later friends!!

Oud Greatless Fans!
**Mav and Yazoal I think both of you should get your hair cut "The Oud" style too! :)
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2004 at 10:50 PM

Ronny,

I'm glad we're friends now . . . no more flame wars. And on your last statement, i agree . . .
I'm curious how you got into the oud at such a young age. I was 22, now 28 . . .
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-18-2004 at 05:04 AM

30. But I was bald 7 years ago!!:mad:

Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top