Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: lute identification
Franck
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 04:31 PM
lute identification

Can anyone tell me what this instrument is and where does it come from?
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 06:48 PM

Hi Franck,

Looks rather like a guitar finger board attached to the body (and pegbox?) of a Bukharan (Uzbek) stringed instrument whose name I don't know. I think the "normal" neck of this instrument is considerably longer.

Here are a couple photos I found on the internet:
http://www.trachtenberg.org/myuz2.htm (scroll down to see picture of musician)
http://www.sairamtour.com/uzbekistan/Instruments/uzbek_music_instru... (see the instrument all the way on the left)

I believe that the 1997 documentary film "Chants of Sand and Stars" (about Jewish music) includes a short excerpt of a recital on this instrument by an Bukharan Jew in Israel.

I hope that helps.

Best,
John
Franck
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-21-2007 at 07:31 PM

Thank you John,

Your cue helped me find the name of the instrument. It's a rawap a Uyghur long-necked lute. I also found a photo of the true shape of the instrument.

Thanks again,

Franck
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 02:39 AM

The instrument Franck has posted is a cultural icon. In what used to be the former Soviet Union, Islamic musical instruments were to all be converted to a Western scale to eliminate any "cultural oddities" for the sake of "Sovietization". The Russians decreed that Islamic scales were not to be played and that the old music should be re-written to sound more..............Russian!! This instrument is most likely an example of that dark period of history.

In Kazakhstan they did the same. They also decreed that the Kazakh people were to kill off their vast herds of horses and sheep and were to raise wheat instead. Thousands died as a result. They were also to change all their last names to Russian names.
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 02:42 AM

I should say that the "first instrument posted" is the Special Soviet Model. The second one is the real thing. Sorry about that. D.L.
Franck
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 08:43 AM
russian

Like most conquering civilizations, Russians commited (ans still commit) numerous atrocities. It seems that they keep on using ancient ways to destroy opposition to their regime; like poisoning journalists and using illegal gas like in Moscow during the siege of the theater that was taken by the Tchetchens. Thank you for your valuable info Lintfree, it's always good to know these things (and remember them).

Keep on remaining lint free...

Franck
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 12:40 PM

The instrument is valuable because it is from that period. You should keep it just as it is.

Imagine being told that the music you love is too......."Arabic" or has too many "funny notes" in it and that you will have to change your musical tastes (and your instruments) to fit "the new state standard"? And if you continue to play that "wrong music" you will have to go and break rocks in Siberia as a subversive? Such horse crap! I'm sure that when the Soviet Union collapsed there were a lot of re-fretting jobs done to celebrate.
This is truly the "Planet of the Defectives".
Sasha
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 06:36 PM

I have several, and as usual, different cultures have differnt names.

Uzbekistan - rabab
Tajikistan - pamiri rabab
Azerbaijan - rabab or koshkarjeh
Kashgar - in western China - Rawap

The most common tuning seems to be GCG.

The sound quite a bit like a persian tar.

Here's a link to pictures of one of mine:
http://temurkhanlar.com/kosh.htm

It's a Soviet-era one from Uzbekistan - I am in the process of havin a friend in UZ order one for me - traditionally made with tied perdeh, instead of the nasty, horrible (untunable) guitar frets this one has.

Go To Top