Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Left hand first finger pain. Playing technique? High nut? Strings?
Arto
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-22-2007 at 09:38 PM
Left hand first finger pain. Playing technique? High nut? Strings?

I´ve been having increasing pain in my left hand first finger, in the first and second joints, when playing oud. It feels slightly bad when playing and continues after I have stopped. I´m approaching fifty and I know I have some finger arthrosis – mainly in forefingers which maybe to some extent work related as the other occasion causing pain is writing on the computer. I´m a lousy typist and use forefingers a lot. I don´t have problems in everyday life in other situations – medically not much a problem, no joint swelling etc. Years ago I was playing clawhammer banjo and got left forefinger pain from using lot of first finger hammer-ons, like you do in that style, and that was one reason for quitting banjo.

The problem is that I´ve been playing less and less, the pain is taking pleasure out of playing oud, but I love both the music and the instrument. I´d like to figure out something to get out of this.

I may have some playing technique problems, and if some of you more experienced have practice or technique suggestions, I would be grateful. I´ve been playing mandolin for decades and it gives much less finger problem.

Then the instrument. I have Haluk Eraydin beginner model oud and it has been great for the money. The action is somewhat on the high side, 3 mm between fingerboard and the underside of 6th string at neck-bowl junction, and the nut seems also somewhat high to me (1 mm between fingerboard and the string at the nut). Upgrading the instrument is not an option at the present post-vacation financial crisis, and taking the instruments to a repairperson is out for the same reason. I was wondering that maybe I could do something myself to the nut – taking it off (how?) and sanding it from the bottom, making it lower? Or is this not advisable? I have most problems playing minor-sounding modes (that I love) like Nihavent in the first position – using first finger all the time near the nut. Using first finger in the upper positions is easier, but there still is the pain.

Or would strings with less tension be an option? I doubt, the tension doesn´t seem high to me, and I wouldn´t like to lose much tone. I still have the original strings the oud arrived with, I don´t know what master Eraydin uses for his beginner models, and what would be an advisable alternative.

Lots of questions, but all comments and suggestions would be most welcome. I wouldn´t like to see myself in the future as an old man playing only piano…;-)

Arto
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 01:43 AM

Arto,

You got your Haluk oud in early 2006. At that time, I don't think Haluk was fitting Aquila strings on his beginner model (maybe he still doesn't, I don't know).
I have purchased a few Haluk ouds with those basic strings and they are heavy and unresponsive. My advice to you would be to remove them and fit a decent set. You will be amazed at the improvement in sound and perhaps they will help with your finger problems. You don't say what tuning you are using. If it is Arabic, I would suggest the Aquila (standard, not light) for your 58.5 cm stringlength. If you use Turkish tuning, perhaps you should consult with Jameel or Mimmo to see what would be an appropriate light tension for you.

The nut height is easily fixed. Loosen the strings and then you will find that the nut is held by only a small dab of glue.
Probably the best way to get it to let go, is to move it sideways with a little tap. Then you can sand the base of the nut a little at a time.

Good luck.

Greg
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 06:51 AM

Hi Arto- 1mm clearance of the strings off the fingerboard at the nut dosen't seem excessively high to me, though mine is well under 1mm. If you decide to lower it any more you may run the risk of buzzing strings, but if this happens you can always fix the buzz by slipping a bit of card under the nut to lift it slightly. Some 'older' musicians I know have tried taking glucosamine sulphate, a 800-1000mg tablet daily, and notice an improvement after a few weeks. You can get these at any good vitamin store, they are non-toxic, and can help with the cartilage/tissue around the joints, which often cause problems the older we get- good luck mate. :)
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-23-2007 at 01:10 PM

You drink a lot of coffee? If you do, you might try stopping and see what happens. The other source of joint problems that can be fixed is bad teeth. When teeth go south so do joints. Glucosamine and Chondroitin help a lot as Matthew suggested. Try that. Do you have any other joints that hurt? As a former Bluegrass player who played way too hard just to be heard, you may have developed some strange fingering issues. A lower action will definitely help. Cool runnings. D.L.
Lintfree
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-24-2007 at 02:38 AM

There is a Chinese herbal remedy called Dit Dar Jow that many Kung Fu practitioners use when they have joint problems. You rub it on. It smells really bad but it works. There is a sifu named Buck Sam Kong (Hung Gar Style) in California who sells this and does mail order. Get on the internet and find him; he has a website. You could also probably find it in Copenhagen or Stockholm. Get some and try it out. D.L.

Go To Top