Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Incredible Tanbour Player
fartso
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-1-2007 at 02:56 AM
Incredible Tanbour Player

Eat this......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyTgE4hQgA

Somebody selling a right hand like this ?
Arto
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 05:08 AM

That is wonderful indeed. I had earlier posted this clip to a flamenco-guitar playing friend of mine. He was impressed as well. We both agreed that to be really able to understand how he is playing, one should have a close-up of his right hand played in slow motion. My friend said it´s the same with great flamenco guitarists.

Beautiful tone, too, not only great technique.

Here´s another clip - not as virtuosic, but interesting, and different kind of right hand use. And looks SOOO easy and natural...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6repZFMe0jg&NR=1
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 06:08 AM

The main tanboor technique is called "shor" which literally translates to the sound of water falling. The four fingers tips of the right hand hit the strings in succession one after the other, either moving upwards and/or downwards. The other technique is called "do-tak," in which the pointing finger and the pinky are used to play. That's what he is using most of the time. The playing technique is very involved for such a simple looking instrument.
Arto
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 07:15 AM

Thanks a lot, Peyman, for information. I liked the clip below a lot, too (found it today). The closeups of right hand are great. The sound is really beautiful, resonant and sort of deep, not so metallic. The strings are steel anyway, aren´t they?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYhpnlwb4T0&mode=related&sea...

I suppose you are the right man to ask this: what is the relation between Persian tanbur and setar? It seems to me that setar has a smaller body, 4 strings (tanbur 3?), more (microtonal) frets, and is played with right index finger unlike tanbur that is played with "whole hand" and all fingers? Does tanbur have a longer neck? Tunings?

I have thought that setar is typically Persian classical music instrument, and tanbur sort of folk and mystical religious intrument, but is this so? I have Ella Zonis´ book Classical Persian Music and it doesn´t mention tanbur at all. The tanbur clips here seem somewhat like classical music setting?

thanks, Arto
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 10:46 AM

The first 2 strings are steel, tuned in unison, and the drone is phospherous bronze (hope I spelled it right) which is yellow. The steels are .18 to .20 mm and the yellow is .22. The tuning is usually A, very loose.
Tanboors don't have microtones. There is usually 13 to 14 frets. Some people say the makams that are played on them are very close to what was played in the ancient times in the middle east. In the clip of Darvish Golnazar, he is explaining that because there are no microtones they slide one note up and down to create that feeling.
You're right about Setars. The tanboor was mostly associated with the "Ahleh Hagh" people of Kurdistan, a sufi sect, but since the 1980s, it's gained popularity amongst musicians. There are even 6 strings versions to play setar repertoir with a bigger sound.
It's definitely fun to watch tanboor players.
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 10:59 AM

Forgot to mention. The reason why they can pull off the techniques is mostly because the strings run very close to the body, and the bridge is about 3 mm tall. That helps a lot.
Anyway, hope that helps.
maran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 11:54 AM

you guys might like this one too:

erdal erzincan
http://youtube.com/watch?v=o5kpcQ95jnc

this has a good demonstration of the selpe technique.
Woodlandjustin
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arto
Thanks a lot, Peyman, for information. I liked the clip below a lot, too (found it today). The closeups of right hand are great. The sound is really beautiful, resonant and sort of deep, not so metallic. The strings are steel anyway, aren´t they?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYhpnlwb4T0&mode=related&sea...

I suppose you are the right man to ask this: what is the relation between Persian tanbur and setar? It seems to me that setar has a smaller body, 4 strings (tanbur 3?), more (microtonal) frets, and is played with right index finger unlike tanbur that is played with "whole hand" and all fingers? Does tanbur have a longer neck? Tunings?

I have thought that setar is typically Persian classical music instrument, and tanbur sort of folk and mystical religious intrument, but is this so? I have Ella Zonis´ book Classical Persian Music and it doesn´t mention tanbur at all. The tanbur clips here seem somewhat like classical music setting?

thanks, Arto

And where does the tembir fit it too? (Historically, or in terms of decent?) I saw it (I think I got the name right?) from the Uigers in Xinjiang in China (East Turkistan). 5 strings (3 courses). Seems almost the same instrument as this one from your clip.
Justin
corridoio
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 06:58 PM

hi
this is just one track from a beautiful boxset of 4 CDs
soltan dina from Ali Akbar Moradi iranian kurdistan "the ritual maqam of the yarsan" (maison des cultures du monde label inedit)
ale.
corridoio
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 07:08 PM

sorry, encoded as avi (opss)
this one should be right
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 09:00 PM

Very nice track!
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by maran
you guys might like this one too:

erdal erzincan
http://youtube.com/watch?v=o5kpcQ95jnc

this has a good demonstration of the selpe technique.

Erdal is great. I have seen him live. Selpe (shelpe) is a Turkic word for playing with the fingers (without a pick). In central Asia, dotar players call their main technique shelpe. In Turkish baglama repertoire, they also use a lot of different techniques, such as string tapping in a more complex way. In tanboor technique, they never use the thumb. They only use the 4 fingers (shorr) along with the aferomentioned techniques (dotak, yetak, and strokes of the index finger). :buttrock:

Go To Top