Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Maqam of the Month: SEKAH
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 06:26 AM
Maqam of the Month: SEKAH

Hello oud Fellas.
Its been quite a long time since people dusted off their ouds to contribute to the forum.
Its time to hear some oud played by our members. We have so many members that are able to contribute to this wonderfully and its a shame that we only get to hear them once a year or so.
So Iam going to sugest we revive the forums with some participative action. I realized that ever since the maqam of the month became a sticky... people havent been really contributing.
since there is a member sound clips section.

Ok so here is the deal: this month the sugested Maqam will be Sekah and all its modulations. The goal of this is to record a taqasim in this maqam and then you can receive pros and cons about your playing and your use of the musical phrasing.
I for one would benefit greatly from this.
Anyone is welcome Turkish ouds, arabic ouds. Play them in the style you wish to develop and give it a go.

Common guys. lets make this happen. :airguitar::airguitar:
dubai244
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 12:02 AM

Hi Samir,

I totally agree with you. It is really shame that we have so many good players in this forum but there contribution is very little. What i suggest is to do compatition between the members in this forum and we put a present for the winner of the best taqseem, CD for Famous players (Naseer Shamma, Munir Bashir .....etc) or free oud from somewhere.

Here my taqsem of Sekah Maqam with my Yaroub oud. I hope you like it and i would like to here your comments about it.

Thanks
TheCuddlyDevil
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 11:44 AM

Sekah (Sikah?) is very confusing, I believe.

I really wish I could get an oud. Practically impossible in my situation (without revealing details) so I'm forced to work with a midi-editor. Guitar pro. =( oh well.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 11:54 AM

Wow. that a very soulfull taqasim Dubai244.
I like the sound of your new oud too. its very nice.
The idea of competition is good but we want beginers to participate too. so they should not be shy to play. The idea here is to learn the maqam Sekah.
I need a day or two to record something untill my strings settle.
common the rest of you.
amtaha
Oud Junkie

Mood: beginner's frustration ...

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 07:09 PM

I'm having issues in understanding how, canonically, sekah/segah develops. I have some odd taqsims here and there, but I'm not getting it. It might have to do that sikah is trichord, and arriving at the rast (if you start from the beginning) is a bit obscure. Interestingly, though, going down the maqam (either through rast or nahawand) is a bit "friendlier".

Perhaps, someone can point to certain recordings that one can study more closely?

Hamid
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 05:32 AM

Hi Amtaha,

Mainly, Sekah is a compination of two maqams, Maqam Huzaam and Maqam Rast. Start with Huzam and end with Huzam but the middle portion is Rast.

Amtaha, it will be very nice if we hear you taqseems. please

Thanks
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 11:54 AM

here is my taqasim Sekah.

I played it on a lower tuning on my new Sukar oud.
sorry for the somewhat low quality of my recording.

Dubai244 : what do you use to record with a nice quality like this and a small size?

feel free to
a) critisize
b) contribute :rolleyes:
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-17-2007 at 12:27 PM

Hi Samir,

Very nice Tagseem and nice oud, Congralution.

For the recording, i use MAGIX audio studio 10 deLuxe. This software used in the music studios for recordings. It is for professional use, i only use 1% of the features it has. That's why it has nice sound quality, even though i use the normal headset mic for recording.
For the small size, from the recording options, i select RM format, because it has least size compare to other format and for the quality i use 28 Modem connection Option, this means that the quality of the reording will be as if it is 28 modem quality sound, but still very good. If i select DSL connection sound quality, the sound will be better but the file will be very large.

To sum up, use RM format and low sound quality output.
I use same software for ruythems loop, and that when i want to play my oud with rythem for pratice or recording. They are other great software, Such SoundForge, Kick wook ...... etc

Question: I want to order Bouzouki from Sukar, any idea how is the quality, and sound, perhabs the prices?

Thanks
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 05:50 AM

hello!.......
any body home???...........

:wavey:
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 08:39 AM

hey samir

:wavey: how are you lol?\ yr playing is really good i like the sound of the sukar very bassy which is my fav.

keep up the good work
thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
kwamethomas
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 02:16 PM

Samir, Dubal,

How do you plan your sikah taqsims?- i.e., I start here, then I move to this area, I then modulate here, etc. I have endless discussions of rast, but not much else.

Thanks,

tom
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 02:49 PM

I admire you for comming out and asking for more information.

Maqam Sekah starts on E half flat.
you can transpose of course but the main idea is that it starts on a flat with the Sekah trichord.
check this out for help.
http://www.maqamworld.com/maqamat/sikah.html

the main thing is that arabic music not really explained in words. Its not like math or anything it comes from listening to a lot of music and having a feel for it.
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 04:10 PM

Very nice playing and a great sound Samir! be sure and let me know if you come to Toronto.

Roy
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 02:29 PM

Oh Iam actualy there pretty soon. I think I have a wedding there in november I know Iam going a few days in advance to visit. Ok so... send me your contact info and I'll be sure to get in touch.
damascene_oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Obssessed by oud

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 04:34 AM

Nice taqassim Samir...well done and keep it up
Your oud sounds typically Sukkar, which is good to me, i like particularly it's resonance.
Congrats
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 05:55 AM

Thank you all for your nice words.
if there is someone who can describe the actual modulations that take part in sekah it would be great.
I know I touched on Huzam (which is almost impossible to avoid in Sekah) and I went into Bastanikar for a bit.
Iam having trouble making my modulations noticeable when I play. it seems like they are in there somewhere but somewhat hidden. perhaps I should take more deep pauses of silence between them??

anyone can help with that?
an audio example would be perfect. ;)

Iam rather looking forward to listening something from you guys.
or even someone of the 150 who have listened to Dubaii's taqasim so far. ;)
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 01:44 PM

Hi Samir,

Since all the nice words for you ONLY, not even single nice word for me, Better for me to shut up

:(

Since you are a nice guy, every body love you and they dont like me, i will explain how the Sekah works with audio example in my next message.

:shrug:
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 04:20 PM

I enjoyed both taqsim dubai...

Sekah is a hard maqam for me, I would definitely appreciate some examples. I've worked on learning a few Munir Bashir taqsim in sekah but he's a little over my head :D
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dubai244
Hi Samir,
Since all the nice words for you ONLY, not even single nice word for me, Better for me to shut up.
Since you are a nice guy, every body love you and they dont like me, i will explain how the Sekah works with audio example in my next message.
:shrug:

Sorry Dubai244, when someone plays as well as you, we sometimes forget that you, like the rest of us, need recognition from your peers. (That's the price you pay for being so good) :bowdown:

I found your take on this maqam very beautiful. Many players are so busy ensuring they impress with their technique, that they forget they are playing music. You do not fit into that category, your playing is always very musical and full of feeling.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Greg
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 12:27 AM

Hi Greg,

Thanks for nice words, specially from a guy like you, Greg. I always read your interesting and valuable messages in this forum. I learned alot from reading your messages.

I am happy to share every thing i know about music and oud with every one here in this forum. Welcome guys any time

:)
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 12:32 AM
Example of Sekah Maqam

Hi Guys,

Sekah Maqam is a compination of two maqam, Huzaam and Rast, but Mainly Huzaam. Starts with Huzaam and ends with Huzaam and the middle portion is Rast. Huzaam > Rast > Huzaam.

Here Example of Sekah maqam with My Yaroub oud.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 06:49 AM

I think I know why now Dubai...
your playing leaves me (and others) speachless!!!
allah 3aleik wa tislam eidak.
I agree with Greg. you have high technique but... still your playing is very enjoyable and musical.

as for me... I probably suck since everyone is trying to convince me otherwise. lol ;) Iam going to go cry now hehehe...

of course... Iam just kidding :)

NOW people pick up your OUDS!!!
and play!!!
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 03:15 AM

Here is my taqasim. I like this thread!
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 10:16 AM

Salaam everyone! nice take Masel, and nice sounding oud as well. well I've gotten some real inspiration from listening to SamirCanada, and Dubai244 do their takes on sekah.
By the way, I Think Greg speaks for most of us on your excellent playing Dubai244 on this maqam, sometimes a short silence is the best complement!
I have to admit that I found sekah and it's modulations a bit tricky to get my head around; I'm more used to Nahawand,Kurd, and so on. I wasn't sure how to approach this maqam sekah, what feeling and secrets it holds, modulations and so on, but after hearing these other guys takes I've been inspired to try it out :)! SO here is my take on Sekah, and I'd love to hear from you guys if I got a bit of it right, where I'm going wrong, and anything else you can offer in the way of feedback! one more thing, after about 5 takes which all sounded pretty lame I did this one just before midnight, but managed to get the last few seconds of it erased! I wasn't going to try another take so be ready for an abrupt ending!:)
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 02:44 PM

Hi Matthew, Masel,

I totally agree with you, Sekah maqam is really tricky. I haven't play it for long time. Before i record the taqseem which i sent, i was listening to some Sekah taqseem to get the spirit of it and then i recoreded. I mostly play Nahawand Maqam, i think it is the most romantic maqam compare to the other maqams.

Nice playing, Matthew and Masel. You need to listen and practice more to get use to the Sekah Maqam. I normally listen to taqseem 10 or 20 times before i try it.

Come on guys lets hear more Taqseems. and please share it with us.

Thanks
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top