Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Starting OUD ,NEED Advice
DONI
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-29-2007 at 11:44 AM
Starting OUD ,NEED Advice

Well i got a new oud ,and just need to ask anyone to share how they started playing the oud and any good resources they used to start up . thanks a lot.
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 10-1-2007 at 04:17 AM

Hey Doni, welcome to the wild and crazy world of OUD! :wavey:

well, I'm sure everyone in this forum will tell you that there is no better place to start getting to grips with playing the oud than right here in this forum. There is a lot you can learn here- the 'learn to play ' section with video clips are just one prime example- just get out your oud, tune to ( high to low) C,G,D,A,F,C ( this is the tuning used in the clips) pull up a nice chair in front of your computer screen, pour yourself a glass of your favourite drink, and then play along with the guy in the video. When you've got this section under your belt ( or under your risha) then explore everthing else in the forum. A good website for maqam/scales and related topics is: http://www.maqamworld.com/maqamindex.html
If you need any special advice, just post it in the forum, there is always someone out there who will answer. Mike's Ouds is one big happy family! :D
Kalifa MOH 55
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 09:34 AM

Hi i am working and emprving every day can any one explean to me tuning my OUD high to low plese elastreat if you can. thank you
Meursault
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 01:14 PM

Kalifa:

I would buy a cheap chromatic tuner. The Korg tuners are good and quite popular. Then, if you have an Arabic style oud, tune as Matthew W said. If your strings are new, it may take a while for them to settle. A alternate Arabic tuning is DGADGC (low to high).

Most of all, have fun.
nayoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Meditative

[*] posted on 1-20-2008 at 05:29 PM

Kalifa

Although I have lots of chromatic and guitar tuners I seem to prefer this windows based tuner ...try it its for free anyway....
http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.html its called the Shaku8Tuner_E.zip

Hisham
alibaba
Oud Maniac

Mood: sheet music!!!

[*] posted on 1-22-2008 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DONI
Well i got a new oud ,and just need to ask anyone to share how they started playing the oud and any good resources they used to start up . thanks a lot.

Hey Doni, I know exactly how you feel leano I started not to long ago. What I would do first is make sure all strings are tuned right and have a good oud. and then just mess around a bit, play improv, also at the same time watch some these videos mike has on his main part of the site. Learn the bayati maqam first, or at least thats what I did, and then do improv on the maqam for a bit and then learn a new maqam. Also while you are doing bayati you can go here http://www.issaboulos.com/archive/index.php and you can search for music sheets based on the maqam you are learning :) Try to learn Lamma Bada Yathanna on bayati. If you can't read sheet music I can show you my numbering method I use to read them. :) Good Luck

alibaba
alibaba
Oud Maniac

Mood: sheet music!!!

[*] posted on 1-22-2008 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nayoud
Kalifa

Although I have lots of chromatic and guitar tuners I seem to prefer this windows based tuner ...try it its for free anyway....

hhmmmm, I prefer AP tuner search it in google, it tells you how far away you are to the next note, very very nice :D
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 1-22-2008 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nayoud
Kalifa

Thanks for the link Hisham. In some ways, I like this better than AP Tuner.

Regards,

Greg
nayoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Meditative

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 04:45 PM

Thanks Greg

Ali Baba I just downloaded the AP tuner myself.
Cheers
Hisham

Hisham

Go To Top