Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: slow but sure - oud #3
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-1-2007 at 05:39 PM

Very nice, Jim. Is that the yew?

By the way, you're beyond me. I'm just a rookie. One more bowl for you and we'll be matched 4 for 4.

abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 06:38 AM

Hi Carpenter,

man you rock, never seen anything like this before on an oud:bounce:

Awesome work, good luck buddy I can't waite to see it completed and hear that sound,

best of luck

Awad
carpenter
Oud Junkie

Mood: brimming with hope

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 06:59 AM

<< Is that a pull plane? I've never used one. If it is, how do you like it? >>

Jesse - It's a Japanese plane, cuts on the pull, and I love 'em, particularly on softwoods; shavings like delaminated Kleenex. The little guy has a 1 1/4" blade, and a 6" body, and feels 'just nice' in the hand. Here's a photo of some: the two light-bodied ones have chipbreakers, which is usual. For something so simple-looking, there's a lot of elegance, economy, and precision at work, and a lot to learn. Pulling takes some getting used to (Japanese saws cut on the pull, too). The two darker ones are old; the light ones I got from Hida Tool in CA, if I remember. Japan Woodworker is good, also. (I got a nice one once in a junk shop for $2, so keep your eyes open.)

Jameel, that's the mahogany antique bed rail. I'm saving the yew for my old age. Oh, wait... Also, I'm on the casual hunt for more yew heart, so maybe that'll be #4 some day soon.
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-2-2007 at 07:29 AM

<< never seen anything like this before on an oud >>

What, the pierced pegbox? Maybe not on an oud - lutes, yeah. I wanted to pretty the thing up a little. Not much original thinking going on here, but I do dig the rose doggies. Even there, that was inspired by a text decoration from the Book of Kells. (The original is 5/16" dia. - I had a bit bigger playground.)

<< Awesome work, good luck buddy I can't wait to see it completed and hear that sound >>

Thanks so much, Awad, and I can't either.
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-12-2007 at 03:00 PM
Oh, well

It appears we'll be moving house sometime soon, so it looks like I have to box up the Work In Progress. Here's a 'thus-far' pic - paper strips (Japanese handmade Kitakata) glued in, bowl thicknessed, top halves rough-thicknessed, rose done, neck complete, various bits and pieces nearly ready ... some minor assembly required! I hope for the best - like a "Shop space with semi-detached house" listing. (Don't we all!)

Check in with you all in the future; I better go pack boxes for now. Thanks to everybody for everything. Keep smiling!

(12" Makita jointer-planer for sale, $600 cash; U-Lift, U-Load [300 lbs], Eugene OR. Just thought I'd stick that in there ...)
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 11:09 AM

My shop's still a mess - can't hardly move out there for the boxes - I figured it's about time to glue those top braces on, and I do love go-bars for that job. Plus, it's freezing cold out there, not the best glue environment, in my opinion. After a little inspiration, I moved right in to the warm (er) kitchen, with the pictured result. Worked great! Practically everybody's got a go-bar deck! The bars are from tight-grained cedar scraps I had laying around; the bands are length indicators.

Otherwise, the neck's now glued on, and the soundhole purfling is glued in. Progress!
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 11:11 AM

Something went awry there - here's the pic:
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 2-27-2008 at 10:28 AM

That's a good idea. Glad to see this project moving forward. I really enjoyed your illustrations on your website. They are really neat (specially the dead stuff).
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 01:39 PM

Thanks, Peyman - I like those little b/w illustrations; concentrated, concise, no ink wasted.

Here's Proof of Progress, such as it is. Three coats of TruOil so far, more to come. My dining table/kitchen counter oud! - so who needs a shop? (Well, ideally me, for one, but that's not happening at the moment.)

And I'm liking the red cedar top. It's a little splitty and soft to work, but heck. Dents are part of the aging process, right?

If I can get a handle on things on the 'puter, I'll have a sound sample this time. If it sounds as good as it looks, that'd sure be something. You never know ...
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 04:14 PM

Looking good Jim.

Again, cool pegbox!

And what a nice shop. ;)

paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 3-13-2008 at 09:33 AM

Way to go man...looks very elegant, can't wait to see a pic that shows off more of the grain in the back -- coffee cup is also cool.

Regards..Paul
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-13-2008 at 10:12 AM

Okay, but it's pretty plain (just the way I like it).Here's the last coat of finish. I like the subtle light/dark rib action; I number-ordered the ribs as I cut them, laid them up the way they came off the stick. That probably helped.

Once the finish hardens, I'll get in there with a little buffing/polishing compound.
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 3-13-2008 at 03:22 PM

Thanks Jim, really lovely. The depth is amazing, and the light/dark shading really "makes it".

Regards..Paul
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-13-2008 at 07:18 PM

Gorgeous work, thanks for sharing your progress. I really like your style.

:)

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
OudandTabla
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oud-a-licious

[*] posted on 3-13-2008 at 09:46 PM

Wow, it's come a long way from the neck & pegbox I saw this summer... beautiful work! I can't wait to hear it. Can I play it once yer done??

-Josh

carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-14-2008 at 06:38 AM

Thanks Paul, and Mavrothis - I'm in line for one of those CDs.

Josh - sure; I'll call you.

Meanwhile, here's the top so far. Red cedar, with mahogany bridge and rose, maple/mahogany/maple purfling, maple edging, mahogany beard with maple outline, birdseye maple veneer pickguard, ebony fingerboard. Bone nut in progress.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 3-14-2008 at 07:11 AM

Hi Carpenter

I looked on your website - I love your illustrations and other work. This oud is beautiful, simplicity is the most difficult thing to carry off and comes from the heart.

Leon:D
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 3-14-2008 at 07:34 AM

Is that raqma glued the right way up? :D.

Sorry I couldnt help it. It is looking very beautiful carpenter. I dunno if anyone has ever thought of this, but I wonder if there is any advantage in the hollow pegbox design and the cancelling out of any extran vibrations that would would normally get from the nut backwards in a traditional pegbox design - sometimes you get all sorts of interesting buzzing and vibrations up there. Love the finish on the bowl too.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-14-2008 at 08:26 AM

Very cool...modern and traditional at the same time...

:)

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-15-2008 at 11:42 AM

Woo-hoo! Nut and strings! My friend Josh, oud instructor and ace picker, says he'll make me an MP3 for a sound sample (for a change). Next week sometime, after the strings stretch out a wee bit more. So far, so nice, tho'!

Savarez nylon and wound-on-nylon: .025", .033", .o22"w, .029"w, .034"w, .040"w, bone nut. Many thanks, Jameel!
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-15-2008 at 11:57 AM

Wow. Nicely done. I dig those pegs. Makes me want to learn to turn. Did you think about chip carving the sides on the peg box? To perhaps match the back.
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-15-2008 at 12:29 PM

Go for it! Turning's very cool, and you can get the shape you want. I wouldn't say it's necessarily "easy," but it's definitely worth the time and attention investment. (I barely get by technically, and the results are fine by me.) Initial $ tooling can be fairly minimal. Again, go for it! You might be one of those like-a-duck-to-water turners. Call me when you're selling peg sets!

<< Did you think about chip carving the sides on the peg box? To perhaps match the back. >>

Actually, I did; I drew up some decorative/related Arab/Celtoid stuff, but luckily cooler heads prevailed. (At some point, enough's enough.) Those pegbox cheeks are now about as thin as I'd like to make them, right on the edge of blowing up; but the peg grab/spin remains good. Maybe a little more wood there next time would be good, then I could have some thickness leeway for carving.

As it is, it's nice and simple - any simpler and it's be Shaker-style (if the Shakers built ouds ...)! Plus - is it within the bounds of Ideal Oud-ness? I sure don't know ... but I like it a lot so far.

It's sounding mighty good, by the way, for a rookie's day-old baby. I expect Reasonably Great Things with a generous application of Time and Attention ... The Key To The Universe.
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by carpenter
Initial $ tooling can be fairly minimal.

I found this from instructables. I already have a drill press and might give it a try, even though it seems awkward to use.
Anyway, can't wait to hear this oud. :buttrock:
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 07:53 AM

I can't wait either; I'm waiting to hear about making that sound sample. The open strings and what simple stuff I'm capable of sound pretty good to me. The #3 course clangs a wee bit when I really dig in, so I don't do that ... it's probably my crappy technique anyway. I'll see what the real players around here think.

Here's the finished oud - open string length 60.5/24 7/8"; weight 859 g/1 lb 14 1/8 oz; string clearance at nut 1mm, at fingerboard/body joint 3mm; outside string width at nut 34.5/1.36"; at bridge 76.75/3.02". For you stats/measurement folks.

Not that bad. I wish it were perfect, but then there'd be nothing to shoot for next time.
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 07:54 AM

And the back.
 Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top