Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I need Help and advice on how to fix a crack on my oud's neck!!
dampwater
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-28-2007 at 12:14 AM
I need Help and advice on how to fix a crack on my oud's neck!!

Hello, I just got a new Oud yesterday and it was sent from Egypt, since I had relatives coming over, the Oud is made of beautiful palisander bowl and spruce front and it sounds amazing. But to my discontent, the Oud was cracked from the top of the neck on both sides and across where the neck meets the pegbox from going through airport luggage. So, I was thinking that this crack probably has an impact on the playability of the oud and that it would affect it longterm....

To fix it, I was thinking about just basically breaking off the crack to seperate the upper neck and the pegbox and re-glue them with white glue.

I was just wondering if anybody had advice or tips on how or whether or not to do this and what other things i could or should do to fix this situtation, and I know this forum has a handful of great oud builders and renovators. The oud is of excellent quality, so please help and give me your advice!!!

Thank you
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 10-28-2007 at 01:34 AM

Hi Dampwater, I'm not a builder or qualified repairman, though I have repaired my own instruments, but I have to tell you DON'T use white glue to repair the neck, it does not stand up to the stress! I would use what we call pearl, or hide glue, traditional for all stringed instruments throughout history, I suggest you ask some of the makers on this forum for further help, just look around you'll find them, or search for similar posts. cheers.
dampwater
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-28-2007 at 09:09 AM

well, im using carpenter's glue...i think thats stronger than hide glue.
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 10-28-2007 at 07:11 PM

Before you begin repairs, I would suggest you post a few pictures of the damage here. There are several luthiers on the forums who can help you avoid making serious mistakes.

Regards,

Greg
gilgamesh
Oud Junkie

Mood: in the mood

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 07:56 AM

I just know one little thing...don't use polymer glue but bone glue ;)
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 10-29-2007 at 04:06 PM

aliphatic resin glue (yellow carpenter's glue - Elmers, Titebond, etc) is ok for this repair, but DO NOT BREAK OFF THE CRACK!. You'll never get the alignment right and the mismatch won't bond. You'll need to make a clamp caul set (pads), one to support the neck as close to the pegbox as you can, with a scooped shape to fit the neck, and another flat one that overlaps the area that's cracked. Use soft pine or cushion the cauls with leather or cork. A sturdy C-clamp will apply enough pressure to close the crack. Clamp it dry to check it out before applying glue. Use a small brush or a strip of paper to get glue into the crack, and push more in with your finger.
Don't use liquid hide glue or polyvinyl glue (white glue). You could use epoxy or cyanoacrilate (crazy glue) if you get the one formulated for wood. This is a one time repair (hopefully) so you don't need to worry about ungluing it later, which is the advantage of hide glue.

dampwater
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-30-2007 at 05:48 PM

well, too late...lol. i took off the strings to fix it, and it wasn't just a crack...The pegbox just came off by itself from where it meets the neck exactly...i used a couple of C clamps, but the crack was still showing, im not sure if it is closed down completely or not, but the clamp wouldn't make it go any further. So I guess its a bit misaligned, since one side seems to be fully closed and the other not so much, but it stuck into place, and I re-strung it and plays pretty well as far as i can tell.

I'm guessing I might get some trouble in the long run???

Go To Top