Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Restoration of Egyptian Oud - part 3, Soundboard
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-7-2007 at 03:20 PM
Restoration of Egyptian Oud - part 3, Soundboard

The soundboard is a real mess but I shall attempt to undertake restoration/ repairs making as little change to the original as possible. Part 1 of this series includes images of some of the problems and damage to be corrected.
Repair work will include:
- removal, repair, reinstallation of bracing.
- removal, repair, reinstallation of rosettes.
- re-gluing of splits and separated joints.
- patching of broken areas
- rebuilding of the edge tiles.

Before starting, I made a complete digital record of the damaged edges of the soundboard for future reference. The attached images give an indication of the extent of repairs required around the soundboard edge. On this oud the tiles were originally rebated into the edge for about half the depth of the soundboard or about 3/4 of a millimeter - similar to edge banding on a lute. Another (unusual?) feature is that the tiles do not extend around the entire periphery of the soundboard but stop short at the bottom edge of the belly, This part was originally covered by a strip of leathercloth glued in place.
The soundboard has been subject to repairs and removal in the past so little now remains of the foundation of the original tile installation. Tile replacement will, therefore, have to be for the full soundboard thickness. The tiles, themselves have also been subject to repairs and replacement in the past but enough of them remain to indicate the original tile design.

Oud Edge Damage composite reduced (400 x 600).jpg - 49kB
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2007 at 03:46 PM

One consequence of leaving the oud unrepaired for many years (mea culpa!) is that there is consequential damage.
For example, in order to keep everything together in storage, I made the mistake of using 'scotch tape' to 'temporarily' keep the soundboard and bowl together. The result is that glue from the tape has - over time - been absorbed into the wood and has stained the surface of the soundboard in places. To remove the staining and 'lift' the glue residues from the wood I used a wax solvent, of the household "Super Goop" variety, applied locally to the affected area with a Q-tip rubbed in the grain direction of the soundboard and then rubbed dry with a paper towel. This procedure was repeated several times until most of the stain was removed. The absorbed glue residues were then removed by first coating the area with the solvent, covering with a piece of brown (absorbant) paper and then applying a hot iron to the area - the softened residues being absorbed by the paper ( an old trick for removing wax stains). The affected area was then rubbed again with a paper towel moistened in solvent to remove the last traces staining.
This process revealed the bare wood of the soundboard where the glue residue had been removed indicating that the soundboard had been originally finished in some way to prevent dirt absorption - most likely using a light wax finish(?)

Glue Stain Removal composite reduced (397 x 600).jpg - 57kB
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-8-2007 at 06:14 AM

great stuff John Iam glad you restarted on this project.
looking forward to see the updates.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-6-2007 at 03:56 PM

As the belly is now in a very fragile state it has been temporarily fixed with masking tape to a flat working surface of particle board to protect it against any damage during handling. Cut outs for the bridge and plectrum guard have been made in the working surface so that the belly can lie flat and fully supported while being worked upon. Splits in the belly have also been temporarily taped to prevent further damage.
As the original braces are to be preserved, they have been numbered and reference marked so that they may be replaced in their original positions after repair.
To preserve the oud maker's signature on the rosettes, they have been coated with a clear oil varnish. Without this protection there is a danger that the signatures might be 'smeared' or otherwise damaged by moisture during the process of un-gluing the braces and rosettes for repair.

Belly 1 composite reduced (600 x 440).jpg - 76kB
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-8-2007 at 01:36 PM

The bars were removed by brushing warm water along the glue joint on both sides of each bar, applying heat locally with a hair dryer and, at the same time, carefully working a fine artists spatula under and along the glue joint after the glue had softened sufficiently. This had to be done slowly and with great care to avoid damaging the bars or sound board.
The large quantity of old glue used and left behind by previous luthiers who had undertaken repairs made bar removal a lot more difficult. Full strength carpenters' hide glue had been used - no thought of any facilitating future restoration work there.!Lots of clean up of old glue remains to be done.
Many of the bar ends are split or otherwise mangled so they will require glue repairs or patching.
The same strong glue has been used on the rosettes so I have decided to attempt their removal another day,

Bar Removal comp reduced (535 x 600).jpg - 101kB
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 12:27 PM

I have decided not to try to remove the shams for repair as they are too strongly glued in place and there is too great a risk of doing damage to them and the soundboard. I shall, therefore, carry out repairs with the shams still glued in place.
In the meantime, does anyone recognise the design which seems to me to be a bit unusual - although there are some 'Arabic' elements? The workmanship is quite rough.

Shamsa composite reduced (464 x 600).jpg - 86kB
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 02:27 PM

Your threads are some of my favorite JD! I have really enjoyed watching your pain staking work on this restoration job. Awesome work my friend.

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-12-2007 at 08:17 AM

Hi Mike - thanks for your kind remarks and glad that you find the threads to be of interest. It is my pleasure to share experiences and thoughts with the many friends throughout the world who make this forum such a success - and to learn a lot from other contributors in the process.
Cheers
John
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 10:50 AM

By the way.. what was the height of the braces?
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 12:48 PM

The attached image is a sketch drawn to scale of the sound board viewed from underside to show the bracing layout.
The maximum height and width of each brace is shown measured in mm. The cross section of each brace is also shown tapering from maximum width to about 2 mm at the top of each brace (a truncated triangle). The braces are cut away in the usual fashion reducing the ends to a depth of about 8 mm where each brace meets the bowl - the cut away starts about 7 cm in from the end of each brace. All work rather roughly executed.

The wood of the braces is quite light (low in density) - similar to cedar wood. The grain of the braces in cross section runs roughly parallel to the face of the sound board i.e across the brace - as is usually found in old surviving lutes (not vertical as in modern guitars).

Egyptian Oud Bracing.jpg - 67kB
Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 01:17 PM

Sweet, are you resuming this restoration then?
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-13-2012 at 06:00 PM

jdowning, thank you..

Interesting. I have another image of this oud, but without the bracing heights. ( I supposed you just added that now?)

I'm curious about the effects of braces running vertical grain to horizontal on the soundboard.

If this oud is 100 years as you believe, its interesting to see the measurements being very standard, and still common place today in ouds.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-14-2012 at 05:49 AM

I am currently clearing out the room where the oud and lots of other stuff have been stored as well as my workshops - so that there is more space to work. This meant that I had ready access to the braces and yesterday added this information to the original drawing (that was made back in 1975).

The horizontal grain of lute braces may just have been that the braces had been cut from the same pieces of quartered wood as the thin split sound board billets? The other advantage is that with the grain in the horizontal direction the joint surface of a brace is less absorbent than is the case with vertical grain so creates a somewhat stronger glued joint but I doubt if there is much advantage either way - structurally or acoustically.

This is one of a number of instrument and non instrument related projects currently 'on the back burner' awaiting further action as time and motivation permits. Perhaps this would be a good time to pick up the threads of this project - once the room clearing up work is out of the way.

The plan will be to rebuild the edge of the sound board - to the width of the original edge tiles - with sections of 2 mm thick sound board spruce (after cutting away the remains of the original tiles) - with grain direction matching sound board grain direction. After repairing and refitting the sound board, the spruce 'banding' will then be rebated to half depth and new tiles fitted - slightly wider than the original in order to overlap the spruce/sound board edge joint for strength. This way the original half banding arrangement will be replicated.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-14-2012 at 01:13 PM

After having made progress in clearing some workspace today I have decided to pick up the thread again on this project (the work needs to be done sooner or later).

The next step is to clean all residual glue from the braces and sound board - starting with the braces. Once the glue has been cleaned off it will be possible to assess the extent of damage to the braces and the repair work required. The intent is to use the original braces.

The glue residues are hard and brittle and have been applied in excess. Chipping away the glue with a knife or chisel is not an option due to the risk of tearing and damaging the relatively soft but brittle wood of the braces.

The method for glue removal is to first brush water onto the heavy glue deposits, apply a wet thin cotton cloth over the glue and then apply a hot iron to the cloth. The hot iron (at about 450°C) instantly generates steam that quickly softens the glue. The softened glue is absorbed into the cloth, the cloth then sticks to the iron allowing the soft glue to be wiped off the brace with a sliding action of the iron. This procedure is repeated bit by bit using fresh cloth as it becomes contaminated with the absorbed glue.
This is a slow but quite efficient process.

The cleaned braces will be left to dry for several days.

The braces have been numbered in pencil (Arabic numerals from 1 to 6 - not counting the half braces on either side of the large sound hole). Every effort will be made to preserve these original markings. Brace #1 is below the bridge and #6 is at the neck block.

Note that the cross grain of the braces is not perfectly parallel to the sound board surfaces but varies between about 30° to about 45° from horizontal.

Oud Brace 6 Before (600 x 450).jpg - 97kB Oud Brace 6 after (600 x 450).jpg - 90kB Oud Brace Glue Removal (600 x 450).jpg - 80kB
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-15-2012 at 12:09 PM

With the braces cleaned up some of the typical damage requiring repair can be seen.

Brace splits occur when the sound board is carelessly removed - a combination of driving a hot spatula into the end of the brace and attempting to pry the sound board loose before adequately softening the glue at the end of the brace with moisture and heat. The damage is easily repaired however.

Not sure how the ends of two of the braces became so 'chewed up' over time but this will be fixed with a small 'splice' repair.

With the braces cleaned up, next step is to clean up the underside of the sound board to remove all surplus glue. This was achieved using the same damp cloth/ hot iron procedure used for the brace clean up as previously mentioned.
The attached image shows the area under the fingerboard inlay before and after clean up with glue and the original paper reinforcement removed
Removal of the glue is made more difficult because the whole underside of the sound board had been originally scored with a toothing plane. Not sure why the sound board underside was finished in this way - possibly just to ensure a uniform flatness but without then going to the extra trouble of planing out the grooves as would be the usual practice in sound board thicknessing.

More to follow.

Oud Brace Chewed End (600 x 450).jpg - 38kB Oud Brace Split (600 x 450).jpg - 42kB Oud Fingerboard Inlay before Cleanup (600 x 450).jpg - 95kB Oud Fingerboard Inlay before and after (330 x 500).jpg - 64kB
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-15-2012 at 12:34 PM

The shams were covered in excess glue and had been 'repaired' in the past with 'globs' of glue spread over the splits and cracks.
Due to the fragility of the sound board the shams are to be repaired in situ.

Excess glue was again easily removed with the damp cloth/hot iron technique. The glue 'globs' were picked out with a dentists pick after the glue had been softened. The open cracks will eventually be filled with matching wood.

One problem with use of water and heat for removing braces and excess glue is that the accumulated dirt of ages - in grained in the sound board wood - mixed with the water can cause unsightly 'watermark' staining on the sound board outer surface.
To remove these stains (and a great deal of accumulated dirt) the offending areas are rubbed with a moistened cloth dipped in Pumice powder. Pumice powder is a very fine abrasive (volcanic ash) used for final polishing of varnished finishes. The fine powder picks up the dirt producing debris similar to that produced by a pencil eraser. Eventually the whole outer surface of the sound board will be cleaned up in this manner.

Oud Rosette Cleanup (404 x 600).jpg - 73kB Watermark before and after (337 x 500).jpg - 48kB Watermark Removal (416 x 600).jpg - 62kB Pumice (600 x 450).jpg - 83kB
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-15-2012 at 12:45 PM

The damp cloth/ hot iron technique requires a plentiful supply of rags that are discarded when contaminated with the old glue.
We are, of course, removing old hot hide glue in this project.

The surface of the hot iron also picks up a lot of the glue so must be cleaned at intervals. This is easily done - after the iron has cooled and disconnected from the power supply (!) - with hot soapy water and nylon bristle scrubbing brush.
This work could just as easily be carried out without a fancy, thermostatically controlled, electric iron - using just a plain iron heated over a flame but - of course - an electric iron is more convenient and a bit safer.

Glued Rags (600 x 450).jpg - 72kB
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-15-2012 at 10:17 PM

The average top thickness was 2mm?
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 2-16-2012 at 03:10 AM

:bowdown:

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-16-2012 at 06:39 AM

The average sound board thickness is probably less than that and the edge - due to repeated removal of the sound board for past repairs - is thinner still. The 2mm edging is just to give me room to play with before final thicknessing.

I cannot recall if I have previously surveyed and recorded the sound board thickness so will do this for the record and post the results later for information.
Note that the measured thickness (about 1.5 mm if I recall correctly) will be somewhat greater than the minimum average due to the toothed surface - a caliper measurement only recording the 'peaks'.
Did the maker use a toothing plane to produce a more flexible sound board without significantly reducing overall sound board mass or was he just taking a short cut to save construction time? Another possible reason for a toothed surface is that it provides a greater surface area for gluing the braces.

For those unfamiliar with a toothing plane, attached is an image of my antique toothing plane. Note that the blade is set at a very high angle and is scored on the back face with vertical grooves to produce 'teeth' along the cutting edge. In use the teeth score the surface of the wood into fine grooves. These planes were once used to work wood with difficult grain before final finishing using a regular plane or cabinet scraper (to remove the grooves). They were also used to prepare a wood surface prior to veneering the plane levelling the surface and grooving it to provide a greater surface area for gluing. Some luthiers use the toothing plane as part of the sound board levelling process.
Toothed plane blades can be purchased from Lee Valley Ottawa designed to fit their regular planes but at one time the old blades came in three grades - Fine, Medium and Coarse.

In this case the oud maker failed to remove all of the original saw marks from the underside of the sound board - again a sign of rough workmanship - out of sight out of mind!

Toothing Plane (600 x 450).jpg - 47kB Toothing Plane Blade (415 x 600).jpg - 60kB Oud Sound board Saw Marks.jpg - 89kB
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-16-2012 at 07:19 AM

Sweet looking plane John.

looking forward to follow this thread.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-16-2012 at 07:53 AM

Here is the sound board thickness plot giving the nominal thickness in millimeters - measured with sound board calipers.

Due to the age of the sound board it is possible that the thicknesses were even greater than measured here.

These thicknesses are of the same order as those found on surviving lutes of the 16th/17th C.

Oud Soundboard Thickness Plot.jpg - 97kB
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-16-2012 at 10:33 PM

Interesting thickness scheme. Slightly heavier on the right side.

What do you mean the thicknesses are of the same order?
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-17-2012 at 05:54 AM

By 'the same order' I meant the same order of magnitude and distribution as the measured sound board thicknesses of the old surviving lutes where thicknesses can range from 1.1 mm in the case of lute #M154 in the Germanisches National Museum, Nurnberg by Laux Maler to 2.4 mm in the case of a large lute by Matheus Buechenburg #142/470 in the Museo Bardini, Firenze.

These thicknesses should be regarded with some caution as the surviving sound boards - some nearly 500 years old - likely have lost some of their original thickness in the passage of time due to dessication of the wood and repeated removal and refinishing of the sound boards for repair. The general pattern is that the lute sound boards are thicker around the edges and a bit thinner in the centre. However it should be noted that the central area around the 'cut in' rosette(s) can be as thin as 1 mm to facilitate cutting of the rosette.

In the case of the Laux Maler lute #M154 it is suspected that originally the sound board was quite a bit thicker. A recent discovery of another lute by Laux Maler has a sound board thickness averaging 2 mm (see http://sinierderidder.free.fr under 'Restorations').

A further complication is that lute making in the 16th and
17th C was big business and there is evidence that some of the prominent makers (Laux Maler included) purchased components like sound boards - already prepared with rosettes cut in - from specialist suppliers. So, it is not known if the old lute makers originally deliberately (for acoustic benefit ?) created thick and thin areas or if the sound boards (with the exception of the thinned areas around the rosette) were originally pretty well uniform in thickness.

I also have to doubt that the maker of this project oud - judging from the rough workmanship of the sound board - attempted any kind of refined sound board 'tuning' by adjusting thicknesses. If he did then he may have 'got it wrong' by making the bass side thicker than the treble whereas the reverse should (theoretically) have been the way to go.
Yaron Naor
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-17-2012 at 09:13 AM
Again...

That's another superb work of yours with so much details...
Thanks a lot
Yaron Naor

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top