Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: traveling/flying with oud
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 10:39 AM
traveling/flying with oud

Hi Charlie- A hard case is ALWAYS safer, if you got one. There is always a bit of risk involved. You also need to check with your airline and get their policies about taking onboard musical instruments larger than a harmonica.
Pre 9/11 you could easily take a guitar or oud, even in a hard case ( depending on the case)on board, as long as it fitted into the overhead. Now we have a lot of restrictions. One of the criteria of taking the oud into the plane would be if it fitted into the overhead compartment space, this would depend on the size of the aircraft and the particular shape of the oud, and if you can get past check-in with it.

I recently flew with an oud on an international flight. The policy, from what I have been told, is that it is up to the individual airline if you are allowed to take your instrument on board as 'hand luggage', and it needs to fit into the overhead compartment. Up to the size of cello or so I believe. So first check with your airline on their policies for musical instruments.

Taking an oud on board, in a GIG BAG, usually works for most of us. I have an oud bag from Jameel which is very nice and fits into the overhead compartment. Also don't fill the oud gig bags pockets full of odds and ends that might cause problems going through security.

I took a small carry bag plus the oud, in its gig bag, on board. No problems.

If it is not possible to carry your oud onto the plane (try and find all this out beforehand) yourself, then tell them at check-in to tag it/label it FRAGILE instrument and that they put it in their special place for FRAGILE Baggage for you. Most all airlines have a special place for fragile stuff like instruments.
Unless its a long haul flight, here in Europe with its many shorter flying routes from one country to another, and with smaller planes you often walk right up to the plane which is parked outside, just like a scene out of Casablanca, and you can then set your oud/guitar case down on the ground next to the plane and one of the baggage handlers or crew will take it and put it in a safe place. Whn you get off the plane they have it on the ground with other fragile things and you pick it up. I've had this happen, which is probably the best way if you can't take it on board yourself. Unfortunately even if you mention Mikes ouds you won't get any special treatment!
So best to check the rules and procedures with your airline first. If you can get it into the overhead compartment this really is the safest way. The US Department of Transport/airlines has some sort of agreement with the Musicians Union and you can read more on this subject, just check out their website.

good luck, MW
Meursault
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 11:14 AM

You should not check your oud. Even with a hard case, it stands a good chance of being broken. While someone at the desk may give you assurances that the instrument will be handled with care, or specially treated, this will likely be disregarded by the people actually loading the plane.

Ouds are much more fragile than guitars, and are more vulnerable to being broken.
Brynley
Oud Addict

Mood: very positive

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 11:29 AM
Flying with oud

I,ve flown with mine recently with the oud in one of Jameels soft padded close fitting case as a carry on with no problem at all , in fact my partner was carrying on a banjo also. There,s no problem fitting it in the overhead luggage . I,ve heard some quirky airlines can be a problem ,I,d just check with the airline you intend to fly with to make sure. Good luck.
dandana
Oud Addict

Mood: observer!

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 12:53 PM

Hi
Try to avoid to checking it in, even with a "fragile" poster on it. The best would be to take it with your hand luggage, but check it out before with your company: the type of the plane and available overhead luggage.

Hint: almost always, captains and the crew have at their disposition special places other than those overhead, try to make use of these places (which normally are not intended for general public use! but u could may be insist?).
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 11-9-2007 at 01:13 PM

What a coincidence, just i am preparing a trip to Egypt next february and get an ebony oud fm Maestro Shehata. So yesterday i send a u2u to one of our forumites colleague on this very same question and he just replied today assuring that, on his own succesful experience, the best way is to carry the oud oneself in overhead luggage with soft case. Therefore, just a few hours ago i ordered a soft case black coloured fm Jameel.
And now in opening my daily connexion to mike's ouds i discover plenty of same similar advises on same question. Definetely nice forum. We are all sailing in the same "oud-vessel" in fact.
Thanks to Jameel lots of ouds now can cross the borders in overhead luggage protected by OTT plane-flying-proof soft cases.

Go To Top