Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: People's opinion of hard cases?
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 12-4-2007 at 09:11 AM

Click on 'oud care' on nazih's site for some info about the case. From what I've been told they are very nice. The person that originally sold my oud kept the case so I don't have one. I think I remember Nazih quoting me a price of around $350 to get a case shipped to the USA. That was before the dollar dropped in value though.

Maurice Shehata also makes cases that may be worth checking out. I'd suggest asking Mike to contact him, I haven't had luck emailing him in English about cases.
Woodlandjustin
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-8-2007 at 04:29 PM

Then, if one had one of these fiberglass hard cases, would there be any need for a soft case? I am not sure I can afford both! But I am anyway thinking, perhaps the oud-shaped fiberglass case makes the soft case redundant?
What do you think?:bounce:
Thank!
Justin
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-8-2007 at 04:39 PM

Justin,

Watch out for some of the shaped fiberglass cases. All the ones I've seen (a few, not a lot) are not well finished on the inside, with protruding screws from the hinges and hardware. I've seen damaged ouds from these cases. If you go with one of these, you might want to consider retrofitting the inside with some extra padding for a good fit. It's also a bit of a challenge to get an oud in and out of these easily. Kind of like playing "Operation" (the old kids game). I had one once, and could never get the oud in or out without bumping pegs or the bowl on the sharp fiberglass edge. I keep my ouds at home in a Shehata hard case (very heavy---you would not want to carry it anywhere--but tough thick plywood) and when I take the oud out I use one of my soft cases. I travel with the soft case too. Simon Shaheen travels all around the world with his oud in a leather soft case that is very similar to mine. Good luck with whatever you do.

paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 12-8-2007 at 11:26 PM

The first case I ever had was a fiberglass case from Pete Kyvelos, it's lasted for years -- just needs some new latches. The top detaches completely, which is great. I really don't like the hinged cases. I have a couple of Kyvelos hinged ABS plastic cases -- well made and all that, but they are a hassle to get the oud in and out of...got em after the 1989 Loma Prieta Quake - wanted a case for every oud. I also got a fiberglass case from John Bilezikjian, a couple of years ago -- it's also got the detachable lid, but has the same "sharp" edges, which make using it kind of a drag. When I took my oud to Florida, it traveled in a soft case that a friend of mine made for me..so unless your trying to save your collection from Quake damage...the soft cases are fine !! Take care.

Regards..Paul
Woodlandjustin
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jameel
Justin,

Watch out for some of the shaped fiberglass cases. All the ones I've seen (a few, not a lot) are not well finished on the inside, with protruding screws from the hinges and hardware. I've seen damaged ouds from these cases. If you go with one of these, you might want to consider retrofitting the inside with some extra padding for a good fit. It's also a bit of a challenge to get an oud in and out of these easily. Kind of like playing "Operation" (the old kids game). I had one once, and could never get the oud in or out without bumping pegs or the bowl on the sharp fiberglass edge. I keep my ouds at home in a Shehata hard case (very heavy---you would not want to carry it anywhere--but tough thick plywood) and when I take the oud out I use one of my soft cases. I travel with the soft case too. Simon Shaheen travels all around the world with his oud in a leather soft case that is very similar to mine. Good luck with whatever you do.

Hi Jameel
Thank you very much for your advice. If I do buy the fiberglass case, I shall try to take care and perhaps to modify it. Also, certainly I shall keep in mind your soft case. It sounds like it must be very good! Unfortunately, I cannot afford an oud and your soft case now! I could buy your case, but no oud:(
So, perhaps one day! For now I try to afford an oud.
Thanks all!
Justin
sidjones
Oud Lover

Mood: alert

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 04:03 PM

Hi Justin:

I have a hard case by Peter Kyvelos. I wouldn't dream of placing an oud in transit with anything less. I use it for all my gigs, and that's where I keep my 1905 Manol. If you can get one, that's the way that you should go. Regards,

Sid
Greciandelight
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-8-2008 at 03:04 PM

Hi I have a Oud case by Peter Kyvelos, it is very well made, very sturdy, his cases are in my opinion the best hard cases that are on the market, for the money they cannot be beat. his number is 1-617-489-1254. Enjoy -Giovanni
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top