[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 11:59 AM
10 string guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2BOApUvFpw

>>> .............
gilgamesh
Oud Junkie

Mood: in the mood

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 05:33 PM

it's...,it's...,it's ....!!!!!! ???? impossible!!
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 09:02 AM

Unbelievable!!! Beautiful! Amazing! Although it is a oud forum, thanks a lot for this post. Forget the guitar thechnique, the challenge and the innovation, it is damn pleasant to hear! It's good for oudists to better know guitars as well. Speechless!
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 12-12-2007 at 10:39 AM

A guy in the USA named Emmet Chapman invented something very similiar about 25 years ago and called it 'The Stick'. It was very similiar to this 10 string guitar, but with no guitar body, just one long fingerboard, hence the name 'The Stick'. I saw a guy playing one once, and it was played in the same way, with both hands 'tapping' onto the fingerboard. As it had no guitar shaped body it was played standing up, and held it in an upright position. The one I saw even had 12 strings.
Any other members ever seen 'The Stick' being played?
There was also a gifted young jazz guitar player not long ago, his name eludes me, but he played guitar in the same way, by tapping out riffs and chords and solos. A brilliant player.... but he just stuck to 6 strings.
corridoio
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-12-2007 at 11:55 AM

hi Matthew
yes.. Tony Levin, bass player used also the stick on tour with Peter Gabriel years ago..
ale.
jazzchiss
Oud Junkie

Mood: Improvising

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 03:52 AM

Very rare collection of unusual guitars: http://vorph.anlace.org/guitarras.html

adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MatthewW
There was also a gifted young jazz guitar player not long ago, his name eludes me, but he played guitar in the same way, by tapping out riffs and chords and solos. A brilliant player.... but he just stuck to 6 strings.

Stanley Jordan? In 1985 or '86 when I was a much younger punk than I am now, I got to see him a couple of times playing solo. It's really incredible what he invented with that technique but it wasn't only pyrotechnics, he really had undivided attention from the audience. Seemed to be a very peaceful and warm guy.

RE: Tony Levin, you can also hear him playing Stick on the amazing King Crimson record "Discipline." Oh I love that recording.

adam
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 09:03 AM

Adam, yes that was the guy- Stanley Jordan. he had an amazing technique!
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-13-2007 at 02:23 PM

Trey Gunn also plays this instrument with King Krimson, David Sylvian and Robert Fripp, and a few solo album

Robert
Wm. De Leonardis
Oud Maniac

Mood: AOK

[*] posted on 12-14-2007 at 06:25 AM

When talking unusual guitars and extended techniques, guitarist/instrument builder Hans Reichel shouldn’t be left out. I’ve attached a photo of one of his guitars.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-14-2007 at 08:08 AM

A virtuosic performance. No wonder that the 10 string guitar has a popular following these days.
Of course, this instrument is not a new development but was introduced during the 1960's by the late Narciso Yepes, on a Ramirez guitar - essentially a concert classical guitar with the extra strings added. Earlier guitars of this kind were being made in the early 19th C - for example Lacote of Paris made an 11 string guitar in the 1820's. The big difference being that the Lacote instrument had the usual 6 strings that were stopped on the fingerboard with 5 additional bass strings that were played 'open' - whereas the Ramirez instrument allows all strings to be stopped, greatly increasing the range (and resonance) of the guitar in the hands of a virtuoso. These guitars are also handy for playing the lute repertoire with the extra basses being played 'open' as they would be on a lute.

So oudists, in these days of experimentation, how about a 10 course oud? Or does such an instrument already exist?
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-14-2007 at 02:48 PM

"In these days of experimentation"..........

Some old and new ideas

- Vintage Harp-Guitars
http://www.harpguitars.net/iconography/iconography.htm

- the Harpouditar (already posted but nice to see again)
http://www.beyondthetrees.com/hrpudpho.html

Why not a Oud-Qanun ?
Butrous
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-15-2007 at 08:23 AM
Chapman Stick

I a musician play the Chapman Stick in a Greenwich Village, New York City club circa 1974.

Amazing!!
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-15-2007 at 01:06 PM

There are also some nice images of the early Lacote guitars on the harp-guitars link given by ALAMI at
http://www.harpguitars.net/history/lacote/lacote.htm
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-27-2007 at 07:37 AM

I am currently in the process of reviewing "Musick's Monument" by Thomas Mace - published in London 1676 - as the book contains many interesting references that may apply to the oud just as well as the lute - the two instruments being historically linked and structurally very similar.
By 1676, Mace was partially deaf to the point where he was not able to hear the sound of a lute - a great misfortune for one so devoted to that instrument. Undeterred, Mace invented a new lute that he called the Dyphone ("the one only instrument in being of that kind and but lately invented by myself and made with my own hands") - a kind of 'Siamese Twin' lute with two lutes joined together, a French lute and English lute, the whole instrument carrying a total of 50 strings! This extraordinary instrument helped to solved Mace's personal dilemma as the instrument was so loud that he could hear most of what he played - but not everything. "... yet not so loud as to distinguish everything I play without the help of my teeth which when I lay close to the edge of it (the Dyphone) I hear all I play distinctly". So Mace had to be a bit of a contortionist as well! He then goes on to explain the other several advantages of the instrument.
The attached image is an engraving of the Dyphone or Double-Lute with surrounding text which reads "The Lute Dyphone. Two lutes in one. The English and French Lute joined are. Both which have made a Lute beyond compare"
What is not clear from the engraving is that the sound board is split between the bridges (with supporting braces each side of the join) so that the whole soundboard does not have to be removed for repairs.
The Dyphone never caught on - but more on Mace, relevant to the oud, later
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 12-27-2007 at 12:35 PM

This picture was posted by Jameel a while ago. I couldn't get over how crazy it looked. Part oud, part saz (buzuk), part bozuki.
You guys should also look up 10 string classical guitars.
gilgamesh
Oud Junkie

Mood: in the mood

[*] posted on 12-27-2007 at 05:49 PM
swiss guitar?

At least a guitar concept as Swiss knives sounds and looks like a dream :airguitar: Hye Charlie, your photo makes me want to be grafted :airguitar::airguitar::airguitar:

Go To Top