Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Roufan Nahat oud
oudipoet
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-22-2007 at 08:13 PM
Roufan Nahat oud

hi guys after a long time i am back with a new topic i am sure most of the oud junkies in the forum "such as myself" would find it very interesting anyways long story short while i was searching on the internet i found a Roufan Nahat oud and i wanted to share it with you guys please share your oppinions and guesstaments about the price of this oud thanks.

Meursault
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-23-2007 at 06:26 AM

Very nice. I think most would refer to this as an Ikhwan Nahat oud (made by the brothers Abdo and Roufan).
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-23-2007 at 07:31 AM

I remember a Ikwan recently on Nazihs site of very similar design. The pick guard on this one looks to be made of ¨faux tortoise¨ and did ever the Nahats used tortoise? Seems to be more of Turkish and Greece tradition that material.

Best wishes

Ronny
Meursault
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-23-2007 at 12:28 PM

I remember that oud. The pick guard on this may not be original, but the rest of it looks original to me. Beautiful oud.
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 12-23-2007 at 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Meursault
Very nice. I think most would refer to this as an Ikhwan Nahat oud (made by the brothers Abdo and Roufan).

This oud looks beautiful. I agree with Ronny for the pick guard. I personally think that the tortoise on such a oud is not of a good taste, as if you added ketchup to a delicious cake. I believe this oud needs a lot of repair and "restauration" (cracks on the soundboard, fingerboard and a peg is missing). What kind of wood are the bowl and the soundboard made of?

Indeed there is a oud made by ghadban that reminds of this one. See the attached picture.

It also look like some ouds made by Wadih Ghaoui, a lebanese carpenter and a luthier, who makes nice traditional ouds. I'll try to see him and take some pics, cos he now he makes ouds more rarely. He also makes some more modern ouds on custom. I saw last year a nice oud he made to his son. It has a floating bridge, the way to tie the strings on the bottom is quite unusual in the system he made. The soundboard was painted in red-brown, and the ribs made from 4 types of wood, I gather, walnut , palissander, maple, and paduk. Unfortunately no pics...

Cheers!
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 12-23-2007 at 02:49 PM
Ikhwan

Abdo and Roufan were brothers. They are the "Ikhwan" who had the "atelier" in Damascus. This is a 1907 oud and they were still together. They later had each their own workshop and brand. There are later ouds that are just "Abdo" and just "Roufan".

See my research on Dr. Oud's web site for more details.

Let me know if you need more information.

Spyros C.

P.S. What Ronny says about the pickguard sounds reasonable. I have never seen an original Nahat with tortoise pickguards.
Meursault
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-23-2007 at 03:59 PM

The information in parenthesis was by way of explaining what came before - that the Ikhwan in question were Abdo and Roufan Nahat.
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-23-2007 at 09:54 PM

Good Meursault, now that's clear. I read again ur post and it seems I didn't focus properly yesterday night. So now I ask u again (or others), who are all the Ikhwan? Who are Georges and Hanna Nahat? Any website talking of the Nahats in detail?
Regards
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 12-24-2007 at 03:01 PM
Ikhwan

Dear Oud Freak

Again, please read the article on Dr Oud's Website, which contains all the information you are asking for. (see previous post above)

Let me know if you need additional information.

Spyros C.
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-24-2007 at 10:47 PM

Thx Sypros, I didn't pay attention to what you said before. Nice website for dr.Oud, what a complicated Nahat genealogy and dynasty. Interesting to have this website as a reference, cos it's difficult to memorize the Nahats and their family links. Too bad the sons and grand sons let the Nahat art fade.
Regards,
OF
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

Mood: Sunbati Obsession

[*] posted on 12-25-2007 at 03:00 AM

What a nice Nahat oud there.....a piece of history. The Ghadban oud (posted by Oud Freak) is just amazing, really love it !
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top