Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: old syrian dumbek
Greciandelight
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-26-2007 at 02:33 PM
old syrian dumbek

Hi I am in the market for an old metal dumbek from Syria. What I would really like to find is the most elaborate, best of the best that used to come out of Syria. If anyone knows were I might be able to find one of the Please let me know. Thanks!
Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 12-28-2007 at 07:18 PM

Hi, What head size are looking for? I believe they were made in 8", 9 1/2", and 11 1/2" and some were very big. Are you looking for dumbegs that were etched or carved, made in the 1950's / 1960's?
Greciandelight
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-29-2007 at 10:09 AM
Old Syrian dumbek

Hi Andy, I am looking for one with a 11 1/2 to 12 inch head, one of the nickel plated brass drums from the 50's or 60's. What I really really would like to find, is one of the super fancy drums that were engraved with lots of arabic writing, birds or the one with the belly dancers engraved on them. Thanks!
excentrik
Oud Junkie

Mood: Now Here, Nowhere...

[*] posted on 12-31-2007 at 08:44 PM

I have the exact kind that you are looking for- I have a 11" aproximately- Sorry but Im not parting with it- it was a gift from an armenian friend of mine who's grandfather played it in damascus in the early 1900's- its beautiful, though- Ill post some pics next year-:D

tarik
Greciandelight
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 02:50 PM

Please send some pictures! I would love to see it!
Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 01:12 PM

BTW, professional Armenian dumbeg (doumbek, derbekki ) players had done away with the sometimes ill fitting 5 to 6 lug bolt tunning system that came with these beautiful sounding artistic drums and refitted them with banjo hardware and new rims. If you look at the LP cover of Kef Time Detroit you will the dumbeg owned by the late Buddy Sarkissian on the cover with the hardware. The dumbeg must have been fitted with at least 14 tuners. The hardest ones to find are the larger Syrian 11.5"/12" and the giant 15" X 24" high (?) ( I haven't seen one of these in a LONG LONG time).
Alan-TX
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 07:01 PM

Just saw this on ebay if you are still looking. No measurements given just that it is bigger than the "normal".

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SYRIAN-DARBUKA-DOUMBEK-mount-SILVER-han...
pauldata
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-8-2008 at 04:11 PM

Well, I bought that one on ebay; have not received it yet but am looking forward to having another of these older dumbecs in my stable. I have another, perhaps slightly smaller and older one, that I have had since the mid 70s, it was old when I got it and needed a new head and some parts which I did myself. It still has that old calfskin head that I put on in 1973-4, and still sounds quite good! I have high hopes for this ebay one as well! These older, vintage drums can be fantastic; I might look in to having this one modified with banjo type tuning lugs for more accurate and easy tuning. I'll have to find an expert banjo luthier here in Tucson to weld the new lugs to the drum shell... Has anyone here got any experience with doing this type of upgrade/modification to an older drum??
Andy
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-8-2008 at 06:40 PM

Congratulations on the Syrian dumbek. I don't believe the banjo hardware is welded on. If you can go to a music store that carries the hardware ask to see one. You will notice that they have threaded bolts that come with the hardware which would lead me to believe the hardware is bolted on after holes are drilled into the side of the drum.
Alan-TX
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-11-2008 at 11:55 AM

You may want to check out how mid-east.com does the hardware for their metal doumbeks. They use a banjo type tuner system that uses the bottom hoop to pass the bolt through. They have a small hoop that sits on top of the drum head's rim and the hook "hooks" onto that. It has worked well for me so far. I have the 12" drum with jingles and the Remo Skyndeep head which I highly recommend.

Bajo tuners are longer than these but you could make a similar setup modifying the tuners or the hoop.
stringmanca
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Moud

[*] posted on 3-11-2008 at 03:50 PM

A friend of mine is selling this one. Sorry, I don't know anything about it or how much he's asking.
We will have it at our band table at Rakkasah in Vallejo, CA this weekend (http://www.rakkasah.com/west).
aramusician
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 10:18 PM

i have a small (8") syrian w/engraved birds and floral patterns.

does anyone have any advice on modifying w/banjo hardware?

i play anatolian and caucasian armenian music on dumbeg and dhol.

its much harder to find those old syrian dumbegs than anything else now.

when i saw roger krikorian in watertown last year he was playing a 12" with banjo hardware and a clear plastic head. that combination seems to work great and he was getting great sound from the bottom end to treble and great crisp open hand smacks.

thats what is needed for kef music.

i've tried the large pakistani made 12" drums but they leave a lot to be desired and tend to be muddy sounding.

am
aramusician
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-10-2008 at 09:48 PM
two syrian drums

i found that i have two of the old style syrian doumbegs, and they measure roughly 9.5" in diameter.

does anyone know of a plastic head that will fit that? i know its unlikely.

am

Go To Top