Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wintertime ouds.......
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 06:04 PM
Wintertime ouds.......

The place where my ouds live is of course drier in the winter. Not by much since I have a humidifier on the furnace, but it's about 40% in there, whereas in the summer it's 50%-60%.

Yet I'm still amazed, year after year, that my ouds, especially my #2, sound incredible when its drier. Louder, deeper, woodier. It's just so much more alive in the wintertime.

So I guess wintertime does have some pluses...:)

pauldata
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 09:40 PM

Yes, generally all my guitars and oud sound better when dry. Has to do with the resonance qualities of wood when saturated versus dry. I guess the wood moves more freely when dry. Glad I live in Arizona... :)
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 09:46 PM

Jameel, Funny you mentioned that. The weather in Atlanta just got incredibly cold and I've just started running the heater. I noticed last week that my oud projected so much better than usual.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 01:50 PM

It can be tough in Northern climates. Here we can have hot, humid summer conditions (for those of us who do not 'enjoy' air conditioning in our houses) reaching temperatures of 40 C and relative humidity of up to 80% but in the winter with wood stove heating the house interior to 70 C or so and outside temperatures dropping to minus 40 C the relative humidity inside the house can drop to under 20% - bad news for instruments and furniture that were made when the relative humidity was around 50%.
My instruments tend to lose some resonance in the worst of high humidity of summer but quickly recover when the humidity drops. I believe that use of hide glue in the construction of instruments is beneficial because the glue will soften slightly at high humidity/high temperatures to relieve any built up internal stresses - something that does not happen with some modern water resistant adhesives. Just a theory.

Go To Top