Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Naseer Shamma New interview on aljazeera
aldokhi
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 10:38 PM
Naseer Shamma New interview on aljazeera

this is Naseer's latest interview on aljazeera dedicated to the plight of Iraqi refugees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIFGb7aZERs

Aldokhi
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 12:21 PM

thats craziness...
he didn't have to bring the furniture with him.
can he only play on his throne or something?
aldokhi
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 01:25 PM

I have notice that chair/throne in few interviews, I don't know what the deal with that chair. I agree with you SamirCanada it's getting to be a bit too much, I would not be surprised that next time it will be a table and a set of lamps or maybe candles!! isn't his playing style and oud enough for people to recognise him, and how much extra recognition this "special" chair is going to give him.
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 04:53 PM

Thats ridiculous, all he needs now is a crown and a ring for peopl to kiss.
How much bigger can a oud players ego get?
Can you imagine his oud case now, maybe Jameel should start manufacturing oud cases with a pocket that fits a chair or throne.
Although, I think he's a fantastic player, his 'throne' is too much. And it always annoyed me aswell, how when he played with a group he was always put on a higher stage to be above them rather than equal height.
The chair also looks out of place...he should just let his playing do the talking.

Throneless James.
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 08:07 PM

haha I cracked up when it first showed him sitting there in the throne.

From a logistics standpoint that has to be incredibly annoying trying to transport that thing everywhere. All that trouble for a.... chair?
gilgamesh
Oud Junkie

Mood: in the mood

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 08:20 PM

Listen Fellas! N. Shamma is a King of oud, isnt' he?... So on what could we imagine a king who respects himself expect a throne? Playing oud on a arabic thoroughbred would not be very practical then on a throne is not a so bad idea!ciao
:airguitar:
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 01:46 AM

well is not a Glenn Gould kind of chair.

Best wishes

Ronny
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 03:29 AM

He's allowed to have a throne and whatever he wants, but...
Despite his awesome playing, some humbleness wouldn't hurt.

dandana
Oud Addict

Mood: observer!

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 03:31 AM

Hello guys,

With all my respect to all ur comments, let me say this:

i met this guy personnally and not once, if there's something to be said on humbleness i think that he's ought to be brought forward as an example.

i don't know what's the story of that chair, but if we had to make remarks on his personal lifestyle, let's dont forget the cause he's fighting for;

no one doubts about his proffessional skill, but this guy is having his place in our hearts for things far beyound that; standing for and supporting human causes, creating initiatives and using his "place" to move things is what gives him this place.

I don't know why he brings that chair/thrown with him to the interviews, maybe there's something more than a question of extra-recognition? i don't like to justify for others what they do... but i really think that the discussion should go in another direction.

accept my comments with sportivity, it's my humble point of view, no hard feelings.
iloveoud
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 05:59 AM

well i met this guy as well and what i could say is that he talks more than he plays just talking .
first he pretended to be in iraq during the second golf war which is not true since he was in tunisia .
then he came up with a strory as if saddam hussein was chasing him cauz munir basheer was too jalous ( was broadcast on lbc international) .
then another story as if he was in alameria after the bombing as a soldier ( again not true)
then he pretended to invent the 7 strings oud while marcel khalifa was playing on it since many years.
and then pretending to invent new modes .
and finally the throne .
i mean ok the guy is a sweet talker but when it gets over the music it shows how empty the music is.
i dont mean to be bad to mr chamma it s only a personal opinion .
more music less talking plz :)
iloveoud
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 06:02 AM

one last thing on the 2 last concerts of nesseer chamma in tunisia he prentended on the show in front of the audience that 2 of the pieces played were of his composition while they were muheddin haydar s pieces . the journalist who was a musicna asked about that at the end of the show and he said yea they r haydars but he arranged them.
yea right 1) coundn t he say that on the show and 2) i can assure you there were no arrangements done 100% haydar s copy.
dandana
Oud Addict

Mood: observer!

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 11:09 AM

ok, that's ur point of view iloveoud and i won't comment because i dispose of no info about that. But i think that the most important for us people of this forum is to avoid bringing forth the personal aspects of artists and avoid to discuss artists' personal life because there would be a lot of disagreement, and besides it's not honest to talk about someone who's not present to defend himself and refute things. THat's why i said that the discussion had to take another direction, meaning discussing the artistic aspects of things. We will never be able to cover all those details otherwise.
Thanks
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 06:58 PM

Thats a big statement, "king of the oud", There have been oud players much better than him that have sat on chairs! Indian masters sit on the ground!
So he must be better than everyone else. He is actually human and that is definitely not a sign of humbleness. He would have though about it and got somebody to make it for him...
He should just play and stop getting involved in politics aswell. Its a just show to try and put the things he does in context. For instance his piece Almirrya, without its context would be just funny to hear the Helicopter and sirens, just showing off. And his one handed piece, he saids that he invented it for the disabled, what junk! Ive never seen a one handed person play the oud and they certainly wont start because of nasseer. Cut the crap and just play.
Anouar Brahem is quiet on stage, wears plain clothes and sits on a normal chair and he relays the emotion through the music, not politics and external junk. Shamma has lost a once fan...
Angry James.
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 07:30 PM

So much for the chair guys. He needs to sort out that awful buzzing on his oud !, also he is so intense and could learn a thing or two from oud proff or Hamza el din, relax a little, phrase his passages in a more laid back way. Sorry, he definately aint my king. Didnt get much out of wahwah pedal either !
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 07:51 PM

Plus, I support jamesoud in his view of one handed playing, a mate of mine saw the one handed stuff and I cannot repeat all of what he said but his closing words were "That guy belongs in a circus". I suppose the chair further serves to illustrate my mates comment.
gilgamesh
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 01:29 AM

This king gives me new ideas:
To improve my swing, why not trying to play a rocking chair?:rolleyes:
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 03:25 AM

How about a massage chair for your vibrato?
Sidi
Oud Maniac

Mood: Very Sad...

thumbdown.gif posted on 1-14-2008 at 01:47 PM
Someone lost his bolts here...

Here's a prince by birth, and the real king of oud, performing on the throne every common Egyptian sat on at their local 9ahwa. He was a man who didn't need a carpenter's throne, he trusted in our hearts to carry his love and memory as long we live.

God bless Farido,

-S.M
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gilgamesh
This king gives me new ideas:
To improve my swing, why not trying to play a rocking chair?:rolleyes:

:))
gilgamesh
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 04:20 PM

Hya Sidi!Many of us are are completely agree with you.Our Farido is The King, of all the times; No possible comparison . All the places where he sat are gold. We will never forget it
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 09:41 PM

Hi Charlie oud & all,

Charlie, thanks for mentioning the buzzing sound from his oud. I noticed that and i thought it is just mic affect or some thing, but i saw the interview again and i heard the buzzing sound coming from his oud. It is really bad for a such great artist.

About the throne, I think the idea of the throne is to be different than the other players in oud world. They are so many great players in oud world but we perly hear about them and that because they are not different , nothing special about them.

It is not professional way to be known but the idea of throne is just to let people talk about it. To prove this point, that's why we have this discussions right now, it seem to me that it worked very well... !!

At the end, i must say that, regarless his personal life, He is great player and muscion writer and inventer.

Thanks
fyenix
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 10:30 PM

im 1001% with u dandana & dubai244 :bowdown: :xtreme:
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 11:42 PM

Upon reflection I would like to say that I hope my remarks have not offended followers of Naseer Shamma. My opinion is not important. Ive been a musician for 35years and occasionally it can be difficult to refrain from making a comment when I feel moved to do so. Love, peace, music, C. xxx
iloveoud
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-15-2008 at 12:42 AM

well an artists exposes him self to the public when he goes on stage and it s impossible for him to avoid that. besides i never discussed his personal life ( like that he is married with a kid and he hides it wherever he goes ) heheh it s true though :) but i just talked about how this guy presents his music and that s part of his musical identity and character. sorry but i have to say that i feel literally disgusted by his music since i read heard or saw his interviews in mentioned above.
no offence for all his fans but i don t see what he really imporved in the way of playing his is just the continuation of a certain school the iraqi one . nothing special i have to say but again IT S A PERSONAL POINT OF VIEW THAT CAN BE THEORETICALLY DEBATED since aesthetic appreciation is something very relative and personal but everybody can agree on the technical aspect of the music ( by saying technical i don t mean just playing fast or being a virtuose but i mean the means of expression)
omazuz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-15-2008 at 01:24 AM

i saw the interview and oud playing of Naseer Shamma then Read yr comments- i agree and think he must separate his political opinions from his music- although i think its right to make statements through his music - it will make much more influence and will not make him less musician.
im a beginner(almost 2 years) and my ears r still developing- but the sound of his oud is not "complete"- something is missing (and i don't mean the buzzing which r sometimes normal and even ed colour to the sound)- maybe its the sound of the floating bridge oud ? i don't know for sure but i would suggest him to play a classic oud with regular bridge and i would dare say more profound and touching sound.
and the chair issue ? he looks ridiculous sitting on it -its higher then him and makes him look smaller but if he likes it let him enjoy it.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top